Blue Buffalo Dog Food - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-18-2011, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any thoughts on Blue Buffalo?  We are currently feed our German Shepherd Hill's Science Diet Healthy Mobility.  Her coat is super shiny, but her skin is itchy and flaky.  She was eating the Science Diet at the animal shelter and the vet recommended it, but I am thinking the corn and wheat base is crap and making her itch and flake. For a couple bucks more per 30lb bag (44.99 vs. 47.99) I can switch her to Blue Buffalo. Are there any other good  non corn/wheat based dog foods out there that won't break the bank?  At 80lbs with a high activity level she eats a lot!

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#2 of 20 Old 03-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach'smom View Post

Any thoughts on Blue Buffalo?  We are currently feed our German Shepherd Hill's Science Diet Healthy Mobility.  Her coat is super shiny, but her skin is itchy and flaky.  She was eating the Science Diet at the animal shelter and the vet recommended it, but I am thinking the corn and wheat base is crap and making her itch and flake. For a couple bucks more per 30lb bag (44.99 vs. 47.99) I can switch her to Blue Buffalo. Are there any other good  non corn/wheat based dog foods out there that won't break the bank?  At 80lbs with a high activity level she eats a lot!

Interestingly enough this is what we were feeding our German Shepherd Lab mix when we got her from the shelter and she didn't seem very itchy...

We swtiched her to Blue Buffalo, the Wilderness sub-brand actually and her coat was GORGEOUS!! I mean we had people stopping us in the street to comment on our beautiful dog. It was weird to me but whatever, she is all black so she does stand out a bit...

Anyway we then switched to Purina at my DH's behest because Blue Buffalo is quite pricey. Well guess what, she is now currently so broken out on her stomach from the constant itching that we are immediately switching her back to Blue Buffalo...She is just a mess of dry skin with red patches where she has chewed herself raw. I feel so bad about it.

I am 100% convinced it was the switch to the cheaper and lower quality food. It happened barely 3 days after we started feeding her this cheaper stuff. Her coat is much more dull and she has so much dry skin I don't know how she can stand it the poor thing. I am giving her an oatmeal and buttermilk bath tonight to try and help her out..

So yes, I am a huge fan of Blue Buffalo, although like I said we used the Wilderness brand. We are going to just go with the regular Blue Buffalo though. I cannot afford a 60 dollar bag of food that only lasts 2 weeks...

Also, I know it helps her internally just based on the fact that her poop (ok gonna get gross) is much more solid and umm appropriately textured (I didn't touch it although I checked it out closely) if that makes sense... She also needs to eat a little bit less of the Blue Buffalo because it is more nutrient dense.

If you can't do raw then my vote is generally for Blue Buffalo.

Edited to add that unfortunately with dog food you tend to pay for what you get..The cheaper it is the lower quality, I mean think about it, if it is super cheap then you know it is primarily corn! Just like human food..

Also Blue Buffalo's website always has coupons for 2 dollars off their bags of food, you can print them over and over again.

#3 of 20 Old 03-18-2011, 12:11 PM

Well only Blue Wilderness is grain free in their line, I would not feed their other foods because of the grain, if you add all the grains up they probably total more than the meat  in their food. I feed raw for cheaper and at least I know what's in it.

#4 of 20 Old 03-18-2011, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post

Interestingly enough this is what we were feeding our German Shepherd Lab mix when we got her from the shelter and she didn't seem very itchy...

We swtiched her to Blue Buffalo, the Wilderness sub-brand actually and her coat was GORGEOUS!! I mean we had people stopping us in the street to comment on our beautiful dog. It was weird to me but whatever, she is all black so she does stand out a bit...

Anyway we then switched to Purina at my DH's behest because Blue Buffalo is quite pricey. Well guess what, she is now currently so broken out on her stomach from the constant itching that we are immediately switching her back to Blue Buffalo...She is just a mess of dry skin with red patches where she has chewed herself raw. I feel so bad about it.

I am 100% convinced it was the switch to the cheaper and lower quality food. It happened barely 3 days after we started feeding her this cheaper stuff. Her coat is much more dull and she has so much dry skin I don't know how she can stand it the poor thing. I am giving her an oatmeal and buttermilk bath tonight to try and help her out..

So yes, I am a huge fan of Blue Buffalo, although like I said we used the Wilderness brand. We are going to just go with the regular Blue Buffalo though. I cannot afford a 60 dollar bag of food that only lasts 2 weeks...

Also, I know it helps her internally just based on the fact that her poop (ok gonna get gross) is much more solid and umm appropriately textured (I didn't touch it although I checked it out closely) if that makes sense... She also needs to eat a little bit less of the Blue Buffalo because it is more nutrient dense.

If you can't do raw then my vote is generally for Blue Buffalo.

Edited to add that unfortunately with dog food you tend to pay for what you get..The cheaper it is the lower quality, I mean think about it, if it is super cheap then you know it is primarily corn! Just like human food..

Also Blue Buffalo's website always has coupons for 2 dollars off their bags of food, you can print them over and over again.

My gorgeous girl is all black too!  Her coat is shiny and she gets compliments on it. But that girl gets itchy and she had a major dandruff problem.   We are looking at just the regular Blue Buffalo.  47.99 for 30lbs is probably my limit.  We go through dog food fast around here.  So by feeding her Science Diet I have been paying 45.99 a pound for what is mostly corn and wheat.  Ugh.  I went on Blue Buffalo's website and signed up to have a $5 coupon. 

#5 of 20 Old 03-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Banned

Nice! Isn't it funny, something about a huge all black dog either scares people or makes them come over for petting! She looks all shepherd even though she is part lab...

Anyway about Blue Buffalo, yes it does have grain in it...not corn though and that is a biggie for us. I actually don't have a problem with a certain amount of grains in dog food as they are naturally omnivores and not obligate carnivores like cats...We also are having major major skin itchiness right now and I am very hopeful that switching back to Blue Buffalo will help her out there. She NEVER had this problem until we switched to cheaper stuff. Here is keeping my fingers crossed the good food does the trick again.

#6 of 20 Old 03-21-2011, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Blue Buffalo is a great food, much better than Science Diet. Grain free or not, the corn is the killer with cheaper foods. Dogs have such a hard time digesting it and as a result produce more waste and absorb less nutrients from the food.

I feed Taste of the Wild (I get it from a local feed store for 40$ for 30 lbs, cheapest I've seen anywhere), the Pacific Stream Salmon variety, to 4 of my dogs. Grain free and an all life stages food. A bit of a light fish smell is ever present on their breath, but it is WELL worth it. Their coats are gorgeous, and I know they are getting the most out of their food. I also supplement with fish oil capsules, they think it's a treat. ROTFLMAO.gif This also adds to their coat quality.

Other good foods are Innova, Evo, Precise, Wellness, California Naturals, or (believe it or not) if you're really on a budget and live near a Costco, their brand (Kirkland?) of food actually is very healthy, and super cheap (24-28$ per 40lbs, depending on variety). This is what I feed my 4 large dogs, as they eat way too much and I had to find a cheap solution, while still feeding a quality food.

Also for itchiness, it may help to bathe her in a quality oatmeal shampoo/conditioner. I work as a grooming assistant, and this helps a lot of the dogs that come in with allergies and dry skin.

, birth-working wife to   (06/2010).
TTC #1 since 2010. Dx PCOS, July 2014. Currently in testing.
, July 2012. Waiting for our  sometime very soon.
#7 of 20 Old 03-21-2011, 06:01 AM
Banned

I totally agree Innova and Evo are good although I believe someone just posted about those (and others) being bought out by proctor and gamble and that is NOT a company you want to support if you are against animal testing or other shady practices...

Ditto the oatmeal bath, although I am lazy and I do a combination of oats soaked in buttermilk overnight...I know it sounds crazy but it works..

We also feed doggy raw eggs periodically which help with her coat and the fish capsule idea is a good one too!

We live on the Cape, surrounded by ocean so we are all dealing with itchy dry skin, dog included! It is brutal during the winter.

#8 of 20 Old 03-21-2011, 06:10 AM

No, I wouldn't feed any of the California Naturals/Innova/Evo ect brands anymore due to them being sold to P&G ( the whole Natura pet line was sold). And ever since I found out that legally pet food companies have 6 months to change the info on their packages to reflect change in formulas I have very little trust in what is in commercial pet food.

#9 of 20 Old 03-21-2011, 06:48 AM

I was just on petco's website and saw a coming soon ad for Innova, so yes P&G is doing the same thing with Natura Pet line as they did with Iams and Eukanuba when they bought them.

#10 of 20 Old 03-21-2011, 12:57 PM

So dumb. I stay out of commercial pet stores if I can help it, so excuse me if I seem like I have no idea what's going on. shy.gif

sk8boarder15 likes this.

#11 of 20 Old 03-22-2011, 02:21 PM

I feed all my pets Wellness and have been really happy with it. Not sure how the price compares to Blue Buffalo. I often get marked down bags that are close to expiring at the local pet supply store.

Marcy, WAHM to Alyssa (2/4/04) and Kaitlyn (6/5/06) plus cat.gifcat.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif
#12 of 20 Old 03-22-2011, 02:27 PM

Yes, stay away from commercial pet food!! Yuck! We fed innova untill it got sold, now we feed NOW. Its PRICY but we budget for it and it helps my dogs sooo much. They are so healthy and my one with allergies has almost no issues on it!

I would reccomend getting off science diet right away! Its garbage! Blue buffalo is much better! But grain free is the best.. or raw! 

http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=179

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#13 of 20 Old 03-22-2011, 02:28 PM

Oh and I also have a GSD that is nearly 80lbs and he is extremely healthy on NOW. We also get stopped all the time! But he is not all black and he's not pure bred, but he's beautiful! 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#14 of 20 Old 03-22-2011, 02:43 PM

Well IMO anything that comes in a bag or can is commercial food. I feed raw so that I know exactly my dogs are getting.  I have been known to feed pet food in very select instances like when we moved cross country and basically only stopped overnight to sleep, but that was just because I was lazy. Even when we went out of town on vacation my pet sitter fed them raw food we left for her.

#15 of 20 Old 03-22-2011, 07:56 PM

I would like to feed raw, but I have 4 large dogs and 5 small, so raw would just be pure chaos here.

I feed a raw medallion twice a week to the large ones, since the small ones are on a higher quality food. I also give 2 medallions per week to my cat.

#16 of 20 Old 03-23-2011, 05:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8boarder15 View Post

Oh and I also have a GSD that is nearly 80lbs and he is extremely healthy on NOW. We also get stopped all the time! But he is not all black and he's not pure bred, but he's beautiful! 

Something about GSD's (ours is not purebred either, she's a lab/shepherd mutt) just attract people I think...They are personally my favorite breed by far..Had them since I was littleluxlove.gif

#17 of 20 Old 04-02-2011, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Raw isn't a good choice for us.  So we started her on the Blue Buffalo.  We are currently mixing it with her old science diet food to get her used to it.  So far she loves it and no adverse reactions to the change.  I really wasn't expecting it though.  She was an abandoned dog and lived on her own for 9 months before ending up in the animal shelter.  Who knows what she was eating before.  It seems like her dandruff issue is already getting better!

Gotta love black gsd mixes!  She is the sweetest dog ever!

#18 of 20 Old 04-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Banned

I'm glad the Blue Buffalo was working out! Your poor pup, she's probably just thrilled to get 2 square meals a day...with love and attention on top of that?! What could be better..

Our dog came from a shelter in tennessee before we got her at the local shelter up here. We don't know what happened to her but we know it was bad. She has some major anxiety issues and some other weird issues (no going through thresholds of any kind except at our house and DH's dad's house...She will NOT walk on any kind of tile or linoleum floor (wood is ok) EVER..We literally have to carry her over and put rugs over the floor if the situation warrants. Some other weird stuff..

Sigh unfortuantely we switched back to grain free and it isn't helping her skin at all. She has Demodex (been diagnosed) and it is going to be a long battle to clear it it, I wrote another thread about it, 

We actually moved away from Blue Buffalo because I found a grain free that is less expensive and I checked the company info out etc...It is Taste of the Wild...now nobody please say anything bad about it!redface.gif

#19 of 20 Old 04-04-2011, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)

Quote:

Sigh unfortuantely we switched back to grain free and it isn't helping her skin at all. She has Demodex (been diagnosed) and it is going to be a long battle to clear it it, I wrote another thread about it, 

We actually moved away from Blue Buffalo because I found a grain free that is less expensive and I checked the company info out etc...It is Taste of the Wild...now nobody please say anything bad about it!redface.gif

If your dog has Demodex Mange, please, please consider feeding her a species appropriate raw diet. Many, many dogs have healed with a raw diet, and nothing else, although it does take time. The aim is to create an environment that does not invite the mites in, it is a systemic issue.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#20 of 20 Old 04-04-2011, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm glad the Blue Buffalo was working out! Your poor pup, she's probably just thrilled to get 2 square meals a day...with love and attention on top of that?! What could be better..

Our dog came from a shelter in tennessee before we got her at the local shelter up here. We don't know what happened to her but we know it was bad. She has some major anxiety issues and some other weird issues (no going through thresholds of any kind except at our house and DH's dad's house...She will NOT walk on any kind of tile or linoleum floor (wood is ok) EVER..We literally have to carry her over and put rugs over the floor if the situation warrants. Some other weird stuff..

I hope your pup is doing better!!! 

We have had Timber for about 9 months now.  She has settled in very well.  We have been very vigilant with her training since the day we got her.  She still gets insanely excited and goes crazy barking at the door when the doorbell rings.  We are also working on her manners around other dogs.  She LOVES other dogs and gets a little too excited when she sees them.  She is doing 85% better on the leash.  When we first got her I couldn't walk her because she would drag me down the sidewalk gasping and choking herself.  It was awful.  Now for the most part she walks nicely along side me.  She has some interesting quirks, but nothing we can't work with. She is an incredibly sweet, good natured dog.  I couldn't imagine our family without her.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page