Please help me thing this through - adding another dog... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We have a 5yo lab and an almost 1 yo chihuahua. 

The chihuahua is the absolute love of our lives.  We've never had so much fun with a dog before.  He's got a great personality, he's transportable so he goes everywhere with us, he's got a fabulous personality etc....  I never thought I'd love having a small dog as much as I do.

We love our lab as well but, honestly, she has zero personality.  She doesn't play, she doesn't interact for more than a minute or two before she goes back to lay down, she's really lazy.  We do take her for walks etc...but, she just has no personality so she's not so fun to be around.   I've never had a more boring dog in all my life.  We will love her and care for her until her dying day though so please don't get me wrong.

Anyway, having the chihuahua has been such a great experience.  For the past several months, we've (I've ;) ) been thinking about getting another one.  I've looked and looked and just haven't had that 'ah ha" moment I had with our current chihuahua.  Also, DH isn't completely on board but, really, says I can do whatever I want.  So, I had decided that I'd stop looking but, if one fell in our laps, I'd take it.

Then, I started thinking about how easy we have it.  Our two dogs get along great, they love my parents who take care of them when we go out of town, which isn't often but, still, something to think about.  At this point, the two dogs are a breeze.  Not much work at all. 

So, I sort of had decided that we're good.  We don't need another one.

Then.....we walk into PetSmart and they're having a chihuahua rescue event.  Crud!!!  I had my 2 kids with me and we went and looked.  Big mistake.  There was one super sweet 5mo who DD just fell in love with.  She picked him up, he cuddled into her neck and fell sound asleep.  I could see her falling in love on the spot.  We all passed him around and he's just as sweet as could be.  When he was in the pen, he was super playful, but, he's pretty calm when you hold him.

Anyway, it was time to go and my DD just lost it.  Sobbing about having to leave the dog.  Now, we don't just get a dog because it's cute and we talked a lot about that, about how adding another dog is a big responsibility etc... but, DD just can't forget this dog.  She talks about him all the time, is doing all sorts of extra chores to try to show us she's responsible enough for another dog etc.... she talked to DH about it, she's prayed about it etc.... and she desperately wants this dog and really believes she can and will care for it.

DH says we can do whatever, he's fine either way but, I think his preference would be to just have the two dogs.  I'm ambivalent.  Having 2 these two dogs is just so easy.  They're really no work at all.  How is that going to change with 3 dogs?   We rarely go out of town but, when we do, my parent care for them.  3 is a lot.....and my parents aren't young anymore. 

Sigh.....I just don't know what to do.  The current foster mom is coming today for a home visit and we need to make a decision. 

#2 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have any advice except to say that the dynamic is good with your dogs now, another chihuahua and your little dog already in your life might not take too kindly to it...They can be extreme in their aggression with new dogs when they are already established. I have personally seen a situation where a new puppy was added to a home with 1 chihuahua and it was ugly to the point of the couple having to get rid of the puppy for it's own safety and happiness. I would talk to some trainers before adding another dog to the mix!

#3 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Well, the rescue is bringing the puppy to meet with our dogs today. The purpose is to see how they interact, observe their dynamics etc.....

I've let DD know that the two dogs we have already come first.  If a new dog causes them stress, if there is any territorialism, aggression etc... this is not happening. 

#4 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post

Well, the rescue is bringing the puppy to meet with our dogs today. The purpose is to see how they interact, observe their dynamics etc.....

I've let DD know that the two dogs we have already come first.  If a new dog causes them stress, if there is any territorialism, aggression etc... this is not happening. 

Thats great!! I hope you get to spend some good time with the new puppy so you can see if it works. It sounds like you are doing a really good job of explaining things to your daughter...I am afraid of my own DD being like that with animals because I certainly sobbed outside many a pet store as a kid because I fell in love with a little animal I wasn't allowed to have. I afraid I'll cave with DD, I love animals too..I guess we just have to avoid the pet stores.

#5 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 02:07 PM

We just added our 5Th! Yes 5Th dog! And it went amazingly well. If the pup gets along with your other dogs I would say go for it! Adding another little dog to the mix is SO EASY. Assuming he/she doesn't have any major behavioral issues (aggressive, needing house training, etc...) I think you should do it! The dog needs a home, you already have everything you need most likely besides another collar! :P So far we haven't bought a thing for the new pup! We had an extra collar and leash! i just want to go get a tag made for him! He even came with a free bag of food, so I haven't even bought more puppy food yet! LOL! 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#6 of 6 Old 03-22-2011, 02:11 PM

Good luck!

I went through the same situation recently, except that our 2 dogs are older and we enjoy them equally. We have one small dog and one big dog and they are best friends for life. But we wanted a third dog, and I thought long and hard how it would change the dynamics at home. It is a big decision. I'm glad you guys are able to have a home visit before deciding.

We ended up bringing a new puppy in to the family and we love her so much.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page