cat clawing rug - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-25-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, we have 2 cats, both have their claws. One of them , I have my ideas about which one :) , is clawing my brand new wool rug that I just laid down yesterday.

I am so bummed. i need to stop him from doing this, now!! What can I spray on the rug that will deter him, and not harm the rug?

I have 2 children and a crawling/ walking 1 year old, so all natural and safe kind of goes without saying. That and we are on MDC too!!

Thanks

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#2 of 4 Old 03-25-2011, 05:57 PM

Cats have a natural instinct to scratch b/c it sheds the old layers of their claws.  They sell courrogated cardboard pads made especially for cats to scratch at.  We have 2 of them at all times.  They are pretty cheap, and the ones sold at Petsmart can be flipped over when one side is scratched up (others are glued down- they are in a cardboard frame- but the Petsmart ones aren't).  Petsmart also sells refills so you don't have to keep buying the frame.  Cats seem to instantly know what to do with them.  Our cats don't scratch at the floor anymore since we started buying those.  :)  Good luck!!

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

#3 of 4 Old 03-26-2011, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

We do have one of those though, also a huge carpet covered scratching post/ kitty condo thing, but they really seem to love the new rug, and the sofa too.

Maybe I will try to move the kitty condo into another room. See if that is better for them.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#4 of 4 Old 03-31-2011, 09:20 AM

My cats don't like citris scent or tea tree oil.You could put some on a rag or cotton ball.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page