Glucosamine for dogs' bone problem? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-31-2011, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

HI.  I think this is the first time I've posted in this section.  I just got back from the vet with my 10 yr old rat terrier.  He's been limping/favoring his right front leg a little after getting up in the morning or from a nap.  Once he gets streatched out and moving then he seems fine and will run around.  I thought he might be getting arthritis and so did the vet.  She took an X-ray but it turns out not to be arthritis.  He broke that leg as a puppy and it didn't heal right apparently.  The bone is very thin.  It was shocking.  She said in her 20 years as a vet she's never seen anything like it.  She was a little stumped as to what to do.  She suggested we try glucosamine and bring him back if it gets worse then she's give him a prescription pain/anti-infamitory.  Anyone give their dogs Glucosamine?  There are so many brands and formulas I'm not sure what to order.  If anyone has any other suggestions on how to heal the thin bone I'd love to hear it or any other ideas.  Thanks

SAHM to tiphat.gif  & modifiedartist.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-02-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairy2dogs View Post

She suggested we try glucosamine and bring him back if it gets worse then she's give him a prescription pain/anti-infamitory.  Anyone give their dogs Glucosamine?  There are so many brands and formulas I'm not sure what to order.

The evidence for glucosamine's effectiveness isn't good (in osteoarthritis, at least), but I gave it to my elderly cat for a few years on the off chance. The only risk it poses is that of delaying NSAIDs or other pain relief when they're really called for. I'm kind of surprised the vet would suggest it without having a formulation that they dispense or recommend, though.

#3 of 4 Old 04-03-2011, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

She isn't into selling things.  She only has prescriptions in her office.  She told me to just get the kind for humans and give him 1/4 of the dose. 

SAHM to tiphat.gif  & modifiedartist.gif
#4 of 4 Old 04-03-2011, 12:42 PM

We give our 10 year old dog glucosamine and chondroitin.  Costco sells it for dogs for fairly cheap, dosage is by weight.  In our case, it helps alot. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page