Diarrhea in dog-was fine last night, now vomiting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-02-2011, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My border collie mix had diarrhea starting Monday night. It was really foul-smelling and got all over his fur, so it was pretty bad. It got better over the next day or so, but then plateaued. I called the vet, who suggested rice-ground beef-canned pumpkin. One dose of that and he had a nice formed bowel movement. He was eating and drinking fine the whole time, going for walks and everything. Behaviour normal.

Now he's vomiting. I can hear his tummy just doing somersaults.

Why would he be fine, seemingly recovered from the diarrhea and now sick?

I have to admit, he hasn't been dewormed in about 4 months. Am I supposed to be doing it every month? Could that be what's wrong? There have been no dietary changes, except I gave him a "meaty dog bone" from the farmer's market a day or so before he got the diarrhea, so I'm assuming that was the trigger. I know it's time for the vet; but is there anything I can do at home? He's about 8 years old and a little; but not a lot overweight. He's a rescue and we've only had him about a year and a half, but he's been in excellent health until now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-29-2011, 10:41 AM

Hope your dog is all better by now. Did you find a cause,or did it just resolve on its own? I worm just one time a year for the dogsDo 2 pills a few weeks apart that cover the common parasites.. They get some kefir for probiotics,though I read it might get killed off in the stomache anyway.

#3 of 4 Old 05-02-2011, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, mattemma04. He's just fine. It took almost a full week, though. I called the vet several times and just kept in touch with them. They gave me really good advice. I didn't do anything special, except feed him canned pumpkin. This is supposed to be the miracle cure for both diarrhea and constipation and it did seem to work.

Now I wonder if the "dog bones" with meat at the market are okay for him. I can't imagine why they wouldn't be. But that's when he got sick. Anyhow, he's doing great now. I was up with him just like when my dd is sick. He's my baby, too!

#4 of 4 Old 05-03-2011, 04:24 AM

Glad to read he is better. Will keep pumpkin on hand for my dogs!  Maybe a piece of bone got stuck and caused blockage or irritation. I read corn cobs are notorious for that.

Tags
Dog Adoption Your New Best Friend , Hound Dog , Successfully Adopting A Dog , All Dogs Have Adhd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page