Yogurt. Good or bad? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Every once in awhile I hear of people giving their dogs yogurt.  They give it for a healthy treat, digestive issues or other reasons.  Then I have read conflicting reports on whether it is good or bad for dogs to have.  So is it good or bad?  What are some good healthy treats for dogs?  It seems that every time I read that xyz is good for a dog someone else issaying that xyz is bad.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#2 of 5 Old 04-04-2011, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Our dog has a very sensitive digestive system. Last year, he woke us in the middle of the night, yowling in pain and vomiting blood. Extensive testing didn't discover the cause of the problem. It seems to have resolved generally, although we keep him on a special diet from the vet. Every time we try to switch him off the special diet (with the vet's encouragement, btw), his system acts up (flatulence, diarrhea, vomiting). 

We rarely gave him "people food" before that incident, except for plain yogurt. He was on antibiotics when we got him (he was a pup from rescued litter and had a few problems). I started giving him yogurt on the advice of a naturopath, who suggested that dogs on antibiotics, like people, would benefit from yogurt. He loved it, so even when he finished the antibiotics, I continued to give him a little a few times a week as a treat. When we reviewed his food intake with the vet, after the blood vomiting incident, she told us that dogs don't digest yogurt well and that we should stop. She didn't think it contributed to the bloody vomit, but she didn't think it helped him either. 

Just our experience - I'm interested in the other responses you get. 

#3 of 5 Old 04-04-2011, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)

Neither. Its pretty much useless because a dog's GIT is too acidic and it will kill off the bacteria. If you want to give it as a treat, that's fine, but dogs are lactose intolerant and milk coats their teeth which you don't want. As for healthy treats, I guess it depends on what you feed your dog. Mine is raw fed, so I guess you could call a treat a chicken's foot (he loves them) or a ball of ground beef. If you feed dried food, I would give raw meaty bones often as a treat and to help give your dog a teeth cleaning. If you are concerned about probiotics, you might want to consider a supplement, but I am not convinced it would be of much benefit.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 5 Old 04-05-2011, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

If you are concerned about probiotics, you might want to consider a supplement, but I am not convinced it would be of much benefit.

Quoting myself, I just found this article about dog probiotics which might be of interest to you.

The Nutrition Bridge and Probiotics for Dogs and Pets

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#5 of 5 Old 04-05-2011, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

thanks.gif

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page