Heartworm and flea meds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-09-2011, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have our dogs on Sentinel now. But I'm considering switching to Heartguard generic and K9 Advantax II to get the added ticks and mosquito killing and the repellent feature. Only problem is I don't think our pug can take K9 Advantix since it says medium to large dogs only recommended.

Anyone used K9 Advantix II?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-12-2011, 11:56 AM

I'd like to know too. I've used Revolution for my dogs for years, but recently found that it does not protect against deer ticks. We don't have too many deer ticks here, but we frequently visit family in an area where they are a problem. As a matter of fact, one of my sister's dogs was diagnosed with Lyme's last year. I have been really happy with the Revolution, though. I've used it on my 16-year-old dog for many, many years with no ill effects. Natural methods probably won't work too well for me. There is no way I could use a flea comb daily or easily feel a tick on my Great Pyrenees mix! 

#3 of 6 Old 04-12-2011, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

I looked up the active ingrediant. Imidacloprid (8.8%), Permethrin (44.0%), Pyripoxyfen (0.44%), Other ingredients (46.76%)

I noticed it in the 1800 pet meds flyer I got in the mail. One of my dogs has allergies and I worry about any skin side effects from topical meds which is one of the reasons our dogs are currently on Sentinel since it includes flea birth control but is an oral medication.

#4 of 6 Old 04-13-2011, 08:25 PM

FWIW, we use the Advantix on our dogs (medium sized) and it was the ONLY thing that helped our flea infestation last year.  It was amazing how fast it killed them after months of trying other stuff and cleaning compulsively.

#5 of 6 Old 04-17-2011, 10:21 AM

We went to the vet a couple of days ago for heartworm testing and discussion a new heartworm/flea/tick preventative. Our vet suggested K9 Advantix for flea/tick/mosquito and Interceptor for heartworm/intestinal parasite protection. They didn't have the Advantix II, but said they would be getting some in soon. Advantix does have a strong safety record, which makes me feel pretty good about using it. I've never used an oral for heartworm/intestinal parasites before, but since our new dog frequents the dog park I thought some protection against the intestinal parasites would be prudent. It was rather expensive. For the preventatives it was nearly $300, but that will cover both dogs for the year. We only need to use them 6 month/year here. I'm sure I could find the medicines cheaper online if I wanted to go that route.

#6 of 6 Old 04-17-2011, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

I was reading the 1800 pet meds vet review and she was saying that if your dog spends a lot of time in water or is bathed frequently it may need to be administered more often than 1x month. I have 2 dogs that are in and out of the water daily from spring till fall and I don't want to have to worry if it needs to be reapplied so that sealed it for me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page