Revolution, Advantage Multi, Heartguard??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-15-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I usually have my dog on Heartguard Plus in the cold weather months and Revolution in the warm months to prevent fleas.  I used Advantage Multi before our vet stopped carrying it. (We get it from the vet because he sells it in single doses.) Revolution went up, however, by about $5 a month, so I'm looking at different options.

How do you know which heartworm and flea preventative is the best one to use?  How/where do you get your meds?

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#2 of 7 Old 04-17-2011, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

OK, how about a different question?  What do you do to prevent fleas and ticks in the warm months?

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#3 of 7 Old 04-17-2011, 09:29 AM

I use Revolution for our dog. I buy 12 months worth a a time so I get a large discount from my vet. I think it works out to $12 or $13 a month that way.
#4 of 7 Old 04-17-2011, 10:13 AM

I used Revolution on my dogs for many years. I never found a flea or tick on them. I liked it because it included heartworm as well as flea and tick prevention. However, I recently realized that it does not protect against the deer tick. We are seeing more and more deer ticks in my area, and we often visit my parents who live in an area where deer ticks are prevalent. So, this year we're using K9 Advantix for flea and tick and Interceptor for heartworm and intestinal parasites. This is per my vet's recommendation. I looked into the safety of K9 Advantix, and it has a strong safety record. The spot-on treatments make me a tad bit nervous. Although, like I said I used Revolution for years with no problem and one of my dogs is a healthy 16-year-old!

#5 of 7 Old 04-17-2011, 01:48 PM

We have been using sentinel because it does heartworm, a couple intestinal worms and includes flea birth control. Plus it's oral so I don't have to worry about skin side effects, since one of my dogs has allergies.

#6 of 7 Old 04-18-2011, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  I decided to stick with Revolution too.  It went from $17 to $24 a month (all at once) at our vet, though.  Bummer.

#7 of 7 Old 04-19-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingMama View Post

Thanks!  I decided to stick with Revolution too.  It went from $17 to $24 a month (all at once) at our vet, though.  Bummer.

Wow! I'm sure it's cheaper online, but I typically just buy our preventatives from the vet for the sake of convenience. When I had a chronically ill dog, I did buy her meds online. It saved nearly $100/month so it was well worth it. She took the meds for years.

Revolution has a great safety record, so you should feel good using it. I know so many people are into natural flea and tick prevention, but living in a heavy flea/tick area plus a dog with a massive, thick coat just makes that impractical.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page