My cat Nessie just had kittens!Some questions... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-15-2011, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We didn't even know she was pregnant until a few days ago!I noticed she was gaining weight,and her nipples were enlarged,so I called the vet who said she's most likely pregnant.She had run outside(my kitties are all indoor) about 2 months or so ago,and my dad found her on our porch mating with an orange cat who roams the neighborhood.So we did know this might happen.

This morning I woke up with her on my blanket in between my legs,and I almost had a heart attack when I saw the grey baby!I wasn't expecting this so soon.She must have had that one a while before I woke up,as it was all clean.I was afraid to move,I didn't want to disturb them!My ds came running in(dd was already at school),and I called my mom,who came right upstairs.Then we noticed Nessie was pushing,and out came the little black one!She cleaned it up(I hate saying it but I don't know the sexes yet),and then delivered the afterbirth,which she ate.I couldn't watch that lol.

Now onto the questions.I have 4 other cats,3 males(neutered),1 female(not spayed yet,but she will be!).I have Nessie in my dd's bedroom with her kittens on my blanket in a laundry basket.How long should I keep them apart from the rest of the cats?All they are doing right now is nursing of course,it's so beautiful to watch them!I keep telling Nessie what a good mama she is and petting her.She just purrs and purrs.She's gotten up a few times to eat,I gave her her own bowl of water and food,and of course a litter box.I bought a new one just for her and the babies,it's low to the ground so when they are ready they can easily climb in.What else should I be doing?I heard to give the mama kitten food for the extra nutrients,so I am doing that.How long before I can hold them?Nessie lets me very gently pet them now(she gets into defense mode with other people,so I have a look not touch rule).How long before they start using the litter box,and will they just poop and pee anywhere right now,or will Nessie take care of it?How long before I introduce solid kitten food?

I am very new to this.In my almost 34 years of having kitties(since I was born we've always had cats) ,I have never had one have babies.I am having her spayed when I can so this doesn't happen again.7 cats is plenty for us!I'm not giving either one away.I keep calling them my grandbabies lol.Any info would be very appriciated!Thanks!

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#2 of 4 Old 04-15-2011, 04:10 PM

Honestly, I think mama cat will take care of almost everything for you.  I haven't had kittens around since I was a kid, but I don't remember us doing really anything different for them, just letting mama do her thing, and she took care of it all.

More specifically, I don't think you need to worry too much about keeping them separate from the other cats, Nessie will mediate any interactions if required.  It won't hurt to do so either, though, I don't imagine.  Good job on giving mama kitten food and patting her for support.  She will clean up their wastes for now, and I think she'll show them where the litter box is when they can use it.  Since you're feeding mom solid kitten food right now, she'll show them where it is and they'll slowly start eating it when they're ready.  Really they're pretty low-maintenance, until you have to kitten-proof your house . . . good thing they're small!

Sounds like lots of fun.  If it were me, I'd be counting my lucky stars that she only had two kittens, it might have been harder to find room for four!  Anyway, what a great way for your kids to learn about baby critters (even if they already know, it's magical every time).

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#3 of 4 Old 04-16-2011, 02:54 AM

Mutts (no offense to mutts everywhere ;) ) have the advantage of the strongest survive so she will probably be just fine on her own. I wouldn't let her sleep on anything soft like a pillow unless you honestly trust her. A kitten could get trapped between her body and the pillow and suffocate (happened to me). I would put a plain flannel baby blanket in there and so it's also easily washable as it will get dirty a lot. Flanel so their little claws don't get stuck in something that loops like a towel.  Yes, give momma kitten food.  If momma trusts you you can touch the babies whenever as long as your hands are clean. In a month or so you can get them a small box or small litter box and use an organic litter like corn until they are older. If they inhale sand from clay litter they

can get sick and die (happened to me). You can buy kitten milk from anywhere or goat milk and supplement if you think they are not eating enough with a syringe.

I would keep all other cats away from them for now until you can honestly say they won't kill them. Cats can have opinions... so to speak. Don't let your daughter sleep with them.  It's tempting but I've heard too many stories of grown people rolling over while cuddling and killing the kittens that way also (my friend's great grandpa did this, think it scared him for a long time, he was old when he did it).
 Your cats sound healthy but any signs of goopy eyes which will open in 5-7 days could be an infection and should be tended to. They will have mommas antibodies until about 4-5 weeks.

FYI you can early spay/neuter at many places at 12 weeks and since you are a breeder you should do that before rehoming them to ensure none of their kittens go to a shelter. You might also inform orange cat owner he can be fixed cheaply at many neuter clinics for very cheap like $35. He can then become an indoor cat as he won't have the desire to roam and pee on everything.

Cats only take 63 days to give birth so a few months sounds about right also.

You should get imo 3 way modified live vaccines as killed can cause sarcomas (adjuvants, cancer) and they will get two sets of shots around 9 weeks or age, depends on your schedule.

Another tip... baby playpens might work really well keeping them penned up... though not for long. I was always terrified of using my recliner. You can also buy these cute little kitten tents to keep them corralled :)

Honestly,  mom sounds really good and instinctual and will do just fine. My first purebred was the worst mother ever so you are very lucky :)

#4 of 4 Old 05-12-2011, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!The kittens will be 4 weeks old tomorrow,and are doing great!The black one(named Sabbath Jeanette) is chubby lol.We're almost positive she is a girl.The grey one is probably a boy,and is named Tre Mystery.Nessie is a very good mama.She spends a lot of time with her babies,feeding them,cleaning them,and just cuddling with them.They are in a laundry basket with a flannel blanket and are starting to climb out,so we give them plenty of time everyday to explore in dd's room.Almost all of my other cats are fine with them,Baba hisses if they come too close to him.Gordon will clean them,Princess stays far away,and Tari is just interested in Nessie's food lol.I was closing dd's door for a while,but now we leave it open,at least until the babies are actually climbing out of the basket.Right now they try and try but keep falling back in lol.I know it won't be long!Nessie lets us pick them up,she will actually meow at me until I go see her pretty babies lol.

Tre ate a tiny tiny bit of dry kitten food,maybe one piece.I know they'll be ready soon.They are growing so fast!They are both long haired,like their mama.I love being a kitten grandma,but I don't want anymore,7 cats is plenty! :)

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page