Stray dog won't eat dog food - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-21-2011, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My parents got a stray dog - a chihuahua. A friend found him 3 weeks ago. Tried to find the owner but had no luck. The dog clearly belongs to someone - is potty trained and very well behaved.

So, her husband was allergic so, my parents took him. Actually, we sort of share him. We live 1 mile from each other so, if they're going to be gone for more than a few hours, he comes here to play with our chi.

Anyway, since we got him, he has not eaten dog food. We've tried multiple brands with various protein sources. We've tried putting various proteins mixed into the food. Weve tried mixing in pumpkin, peanut butter, broth etc..... Nothing. He will not eat.

My chi is crazy about green beans, apples, carrots, sweet potatoes etc.... So, I tried chopping up pieces of fruits/veggies and he'll lick them for a second and then drop them. It's like he has no idea what to do???

Out if desperation, I scrambled an egg yesterday and he did eat it, and the day before he ate a few bites of raw beef but, he left most of it untouched.

He's had a vet check and appears healthy and when he goes in for his neuter and microchip, the dr will check his teeth to make sure it's not an issue with his teeth but other than that, we're stumped.

My parents aren't going to feed raw or prepare people food meals for the pup. They need to find a dog food solution.

Any ideas?
#2 of 5 Old 04-21-2011, 08:39 AM

Well, unless he has decided to starve, he will eat eventually.  Sounds pretty traumatized. I would say trying different things may be actually making things worse. I would choose one feed or serve what you serve your chi and he will eat or not....but you could make 1000 meals and never find what he is expecting.

Once you rule out med issues, it may just be a matter that there is nothing else.

#3 of 5 Old 04-21-2011, 08:47 AM

Are you free feeding?  Are people around when he is trying to eat?

I know of several scared/traumatized etc dogs that would only eat late at night when everyone was asleep.  

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#4 of 5 Old 04-21-2011, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

There is a bowl of food out at all times and there is never a time when he doesn't have access to it.

Mom made him eggs again his morning. I'm going to try to get her to stop. It's so hard. They're really worried about him.
#5 of 5 Old 04-21-2011, 10:57 AM

If it were my dog, I would continue to make sure he eats until everything medically checks out.  Have they tried canned food at all?

Then, on the flip side, free feeding can create picky eaters...having it available at all times makes some dogs kind wait out for better stuff as they know it is always there.  That is one of the reasons free feeding is not recommended.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page