Can the kennel cough vaccine CAUSE kennel cough?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-27-2011, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My pug is going to be boarded from May 7-9 so I took him Wednesday April 20 to get the kennel cough vaccine.  They did the one that they spray into his nose.  The last 3 days he has his this horrible choking cough and now I am scared that the vaccine actually gave him a case of kennel cough.  Is this possible?  If it is kennel cough there is no other place he could have gotten it because he hasn't been around any other dogs.  If he did have it we won't be able to board him which will be a problem.  Any input appreciated!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2011, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
IIRC from back when I was working with dogs regularly (worked with cats exclusively for past several years), the intranasal vaccine is a live virus vaccine, which can cause some bordatella symptoms. It's only one dose, vs. two doses for the injectable, so I believe that is correct.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)

Some kennel cough information:

Nine Natural Remedies for Kennel Cough

Bordetella Vaccination for Dogs: Fraud and Fallacy

Quote:

The intranasal Bordetella vaccine has been known to activate a previously asymptomatic collapsing trachea and disrupt phagocytic activity which can progress to pneumonia. The toxins from the vaccine will also kill the ciliated lining of the trachea, creating a denuded area susceptible to anything coming down the windpipe. Perhaps collapsing trachea, irritable tracheas and pneumonias are all complications of Bordetella and the Bordetella vaccine.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 05-23-2011, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yes. Back in 2004 when my dog was a puppy I got her the puppy plan from Banfield Vet Clinic which included all vaccines and follow up care. After she got the kennel cough vax she became sick about a week later, she was wheezing like she was having asthma and was very sick for three weeks and remained somewhat ill for another month. The contract I had with the vet clinic included follow up care for any treatments my puppy got there. Luckily she ended up being okay but I've been wary about giving the vaccine to my other dog a couple of years ago, I waited until she was almost two and just kept her away from most dogs.

be good family...

User Tag List