A 5-month old kitten - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-30-2011, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter brought home a small kitten one day that was supposedly the runt of the litter.  This kitten claimed me as it's owner & from day one, it has tried 'suckling' on my neck, which I cannot tolerate.  I saw the term 'wool sucking' used on another site, meaning kittens are weaned too early from their mothers.  This kitten is now going on 6-months old & still tries to 'suckle', especially when he is tired or sleepy.  My question is How Does one get a Cat to stop this annoying habit???  Any suggestions welcome!  Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 04-30-2011, 10:46 PM

You have to gradually get her attached to another object, like a stuffed animall or small blanket.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#3 of 5 Old 04-30-2011, 10:47 PM

hot sauce perfume? Just put him down when he does it.  My cat did until he was like 3 years old and the only reason he stopped is because he was banned to his own room where I'm not around often because he can't stop peeing on everything. :/   I think it's an old wives tale about early weaned kittens have a need to nurse on anything. I also think it's mostly a male thing. I have another male cat who nursed on his father's tummy until he was over a year old but never on me. I have girl kittens who nursed on each other.. actually they're a year an a half and I caught one nursing on her own tummy the other day. It's just a happy thing they do when really relaxed. I personally don't mind it but if you do just keep setting him down and he'll grow out of it. Get him a soft blankie and a teddy bear of his own.

#4 of 5 Old 04-30-2011, 11:05 PM

Yeah, I've only ever had tomcats do it. My old brindle cat used to suck his arm. My ginger stripe cat loves my armpit, but it doesn't bother me. He sneaks up in the middle of the night when no one else is awake, like he's ashamed. I think it's adorable. But I get that you don't.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#5 of 5 Old 05-01-2011, 12:07 PM

I think it's both personality and early weaning that can cause this.  Just like our fourth child who weaned at 4yo, later than the others, and tried to pet my breasts and get in my shirt for the next two years.  (She still likes to touch/talk about my breasts on occasion.)  Just some combination of her personality qualities IMO. 

We have an adult female calico who still sucks on wool and hair (dh's beard) and has a bit of a button fetish as well.  She very specifically loves real wool in sweaters and a mohair blanket we have.

If she bothers me I put her down or move her away from me.  If it were personal and persistent I'd probably try to find her something as a substitute, but she already likes blankets and will sometimes love on the sweaters when I don't have them on.  I am not sure since skin is your kittie's tactile preference what might work as a substitute, though.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page