Multiple Dog Homes: Who is Alpha? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2011, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have one dog, and are thinking of adding another dog to our family.  The rescue organizations we are looking at are pretty good at listing which dogs tend to submit to other dogs, and which are more dominant.  Thing is, we're looking at medium-to-large dogs, and our little dachshund definitely 100% has an alpha personality (don't all dachshunds? LOL).  She loves other dogs, but has never met one, no matter how large, that has made her turn-tail.  My question is, would a larger submissive dog still be submissive if the alpha dog is all of 15 lbs?  

I guess what would be really helpful is describing the relationship between your various-sized dogs, which dog came home first, which dog is older, which is bigger/smarter, etc. and if dominance is an issue, or if they are on even footing and so on.  Thanks!

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011, 09:57 AM

We have a 16-year-old, 23 lb. cocker mix and a 1-year-old pyrenees/husky mix who weighs 65 lbs. They're both females. The pyr mix is generally dominant, but in the home the cocker mix is dominant. She kicks the pyrennes's butt all over the house, and the pyr definitely defers to her regarding food, play, etc. They get along fantastically and even though the little dog is very old, she can play, jump and have a good time. Our cocker mix was also dominant to our husky mix (female) who passed away 2 years ago. The husky mix was generally very submissive, though. They were best buddies. As close as I've ever seen two dogs.

Oh, and the 16-year-old dog was the first dog in both cases. The other dogs came into the house as puppies, and I think that makes it easier. They were both MUCH smaller than she to begin with. The cocker mix is a very nice dog and has never showed aggression toward people or other dogs. She's just got an easy personality, as have our other dogs.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:47 AM

Once I read this I know can't help a lot.  FWIW we have a male and female who are litter mates.  The slightly smaller and obviously smarter female is alpha.  The male is noisier and more obviously territorial, though, so some would assume he'd be alpha but he's not.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

Old 05-08-2011, 12:05 PM

We have 3 border collies - 2 females, 1 male. Both females have very strong personalities. We have no issues because in our pack order I am the alpha. I control the food, toys, and territory so the dogs have nothing to fight about.
that said, a large submissive dog is still likely to submit to a little dominant dog.

sleepytime.gif

User Tag List