Is it possible to prevent fleas naturally? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 05-16-2011, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I dunno if I want to stir up the bee's nest but the topic is interesting and important, I think. I wish I knew more about this, but from what I understand, this might be related to whatever new theory is out there that discredits Germ Theory.

As I understand it, the health of an organism is actually very relevant to how susceptible it is to pests (as well as disease of course). I recall reading somewhere that plant pests tend to target weaker plants and are more likely to leave the vigorous ones alone. While it makes sense that a pest would happily - heck, perhaps even more happily - munch on a healthier head of lettuce or a healthier dog, it appears there may be more to it than that. And even if it's not yet proven, it's certainly reason to pause and consider.

If fleas were completely indiscriminate, then every animal would be infested, no? I don't doubt that healthy animals can get fleas but perhaps there is something to a healthier animal's ability to shake them more easily.

Anyway, either way, it does at least relate to the OP's question.

We have cats and we use Frontline and it seems to do the job as far as the fleas go. Indeed fleas are all about prevention, no matter which path (natural health or chemicals) you may choose.

#32 of 41 Old 05-16-2011, 01:06 PM

oh please be very very careful with the Hartz!!!  Unless they recently changed their formula, they are NOT safe for on skin applications and have causes A LOT of injuries, burns, and more.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#33 of 41 Old 05-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Banned

Ugh who can we trust anymore!

Seashells, without derailing it completely I do agree with the idea that a healthier animal is more resistant to an infestation of fleas or whatever but not impervious by any means. If some fleas jump on a super healthy dog a the dog park and get transported home. Bite said dog and then jump off lay their eggs all over and then those eggs hatch and need a host to suck some blood off. They aren't going to be picky if it is the only dog in the house they will infest that dog. I certainly don't think it can be harmful is the dog is as healthy as possible though. 

Ok done with that topic for real.

#34 of 41 Old 05-16-2011, 07:05 PM

LOL

Why not trust the opinion of your vet?  That is what they are there for :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post

Ugh who can we trust anymore!

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#35 of 41 Old 05-16-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagick View Post

oh please be very very careful with the Hartz!!!  Unless they recently changed their formula, they are NOT safe for on skin applications and have causes A LOT of injuries, burns, and more.

How can it not be safe for on skin application, when it is a topical medication meant to be applied to the skin??  It didn't cause any harm to my dogs and my vet ok'd it. 

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

#36 of 41 Old 05-16-2011, 07:41 PM

Not sure if this is 100% true but I have heard that sprinkling brewers yeast on the dogs food is a good way to prevent fleas. anyone else know of this? I havent ever used it, but I would assume it is pretty safe for their digestive tract.

A Mommy In Love!!!

#37 of 41 Old 05-16-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to jump back in and say I truly appreciate all of the responses and information here! Lots to think about.  I feel a bit sad that this topic caused so much controversy but I guess that can be par for the course some days wink1.gif

We still have 4 weeks before our puppy is coming home (can't wait!!) and  we are meeting with our new vet to be this week, so will ask lots of questions and get his advice and opinion as well.  Thank you!!

#38 of 41 Old 05-17-2011, 05:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegirl View Post

LOL

hehe I don't not trust my vet but at the same time according to my vet Science Diet is about as good as dog food gets so you know, gotta take all the advice with a grain of salt. Although our vet is awesome. She has been with us through putting 3 pets down and is just really a wonderfully nice lady.

It's like my DD's ped, I listen and respect her opinion then I go do my own research anyway because thats just how I am!

#39 of 41 Old 05-17-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegirl View Post

LOL

I  trust my vet.  I respect her and value her opinion but while she is more open than alternatives and holistic approaches then many, she is still a vet.  Look how many vets still push for yearly vaccs, science diet, etc.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonMama View Post

How can it not be safe for on skin application, when it is a topical medication meant to be applied to the skin??  It didn't cause any harm to my dogs and my vet ok'd it. 

http://www.hartzvictims.org/

yep, a whole website dedicated to victims

http://www1.epinions.com/reviews/This_is_Hartz_Flea_Tick_Drops_for_Cats_Weighing_More_Than_10_lbs

Again, unless they have changed their formula recently, from things vet techs, vets, etc have told me, the pesticide hartz uses is way too potent.  Sure it works often, but can really damage the dog.  Yes, its called a topical medication, doesnt mean its absolutely safe.  

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#40 of 41 Old 05-17-2011, 12:30 PM

We use lavender oil shampoo on her in the summer which helps repel fleas and smells wonderful. That said, if we had an infestation I would not hesitate to use a chemical product. Fleas are miserable for everyone.

The only place I would use an Hartz product is a collar in my vacuum bag.

My dog has never had a flea problem. We feed a high end kibble/BARF diet and she has had her vaccines-though we did a three yr protocol and now that she is older skip all of them but rabies. I agree that having a healthy well cared for dog can certainly improve flea/pest outcomes, however I am skeptical that a BARF diet is the be all end all. There is too much genetics at play.

#41 of 41 Old 05-31-2011, 06:40 PM

Years ago we used a Hartz topical on our dog and it caused seizures. I think they reformulated after that.

My holistic vet actually said there is some evidence that dogs on healthy diets may not develop a flea problem. But he also said heartworm prevention in our area is necessary but only every 2-3 months. We feed raw but choose to use a flea/tick prevention because you can't walk out of the house here without being bitten by something. Ticks seem to like us and our dog regardless of how healthy we are. A lot may depend on the local pest load.

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page