Is it possible to prevent fleas naturally? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 41 Old 05-10-2011, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
 
saalmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there!  We are bringing home a Boxer puppy in the next few weeks and are wondering how to handle flea prevention.  We are not excited to immediately go the Frontline/Advantix route if there are effective natural options but don't want to find ourselves with a flea infested home soon, either.  We live in a condo with two neighbor dogs (both owners do use a topical flea prevention, fwiw) and are worried that she will be exposed to fleas.

 

We bought a flea prevention natural shampoo that we plan to use regularly.  I've read in natural pet care books to use shampoo, brush/comb frequently, and to use essential oils on their collars that repel fleas.

 

Any other advice?  Do you think this is a realistic possibility, or am I a naive new puppy owner ;) ?

saalmc is offline  
#2 of 41 Old 05-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sunny Southern California
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have not found any natural / nontoxic flea remedies.  I use a flea comb on my dog, which is about as nontoxic as you can get.  I figure that gets some of the fleas.  But if my dog is not on a regular medication, we end up with an infestation.  

 

We use Comfortis.  It's not topical - it's a pill.  I don't remember how it works, but I picked it because I don't want the topical flea killer around my kids.  

MsFortune is offline  
#3 of 41 Old 05-11-2011, 07:27 AM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: On The Path Of The Truth Seeker
Posts: 7,512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)

Absolutely. First you need to ensure your dog is in tip top health. For me that means no vaccines or chemical flee/tick/worm medications combined with species appropriate raw diet (prey model) and fresh clean (fluoride free) water. A couple of weeks after we got our puppy (now 10 months old) I noticed a couple of flees on him and even one or two on ds's shirt. I did buy some diatomaceous earth (DE) but didn't need to use it because they went away using a flower/gem essence formula called pests. It took two days to get rid of the flees and they had not come back. Garlic is also a very good flee deterrent. You can either give whole raw garlic cloves or garlic water which is a few cloves of garlic seeped overnight in half a gallon of pure water, you add some to the dog's water bowl. 

 

 


Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#4 of 41 Old 05-11-2011, 07:35 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

Absolutely. First you need to ensure your dog is in tip top health. For me that means no vaccines or chemical flee/tick/worm medications combined with species appropriate raw diet (prey model) and fresh clean (fluoride free) water. A couple of weeks after we got our puppy (now 10 months old) I noticed a couple of flees on him and even one or two on ds's shirt. I did buy some diatomaceous earth (DE) but didn't need to use it because they went away using a flower/gem essence formula called pests. It took two days to get rid of the flees and they had not come back. Garlic is also a very good flee deterrent. You can either give whole raw garlic cloves or garlic water which is a few cloves of garlic seeped overnight in half a gallon of pure water, you add some to the dog's water bowl. 

 

 

garlic is toxic to dogs...onions as well and raw potato peelings.

 

DE if you are going to use it in your house around your kids/pets should be FOOD Grade..

 

I strongly disagree that feeding your dog a good diet and flouride free water will make a difference to the fleas who will still enjoy slurping your dog's now more healthy blood... It's kinda ridiculous. Flea eggs and fleas can survive quite handily without a host for quite a while.. Unfortunately at some point chemicals might have to come in. It's way easier to prevent them than eradicate once there is an infestation... Some animals are very allergic to fleas (my dog) and  using a chemical to prevent them is worth the trade off in our case.
 

Personally, no you cannot treat fleas non chemically. Period. You can make things better but at some point you have to use a chemical to kill them and their eggs.

lonegirl likes this.
Ldavis24 is offline  
#5 of 41 Old 05-11-2011, 07:58 AM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: On The Path Of The Truth Seeker
Posts: 7,512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post



garlic is toxic to dogs...onions as well and raw potato peelings.

 

Not entirely accurate

 

http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/garlic-for-dogs.html

 

 

Quote:
Does that mean garlic is unsafe for dogs? Not quite. The key to safe use of garlic on dogs is the dosage level and frequency of use. For a dog to develop Heinz-body anemia, he would have to eat over 0.5% of his body weight in onions to even begin the oxidative process. It means a healthy 60-pound dog would have to eat a whole 5-oz onion, or several cloves of garlic, to start the Heinz-body process. Since red blood cells are constantly regenerated from the bone marrow, a dog would likely need to ingest this much amount of onion or garlic on a repeated basis to cause permanent harm.

 

 

DE if you are going to use it in your house around your kids/pets should be FOOD Grade..

 

The link, which you obviously didn't read, was FOOD grade.

 

I strongly disagree that feeding your dog a good diet and flouride free water will make a difference to the fleas who will still enjoy slurping your dog's now more healthy blood... It's kinda ridiculous. Flea eggs and fleas can survive quite handily without a host for quite a while.. Unfortunately at some point chemicals might have to come in. It's way easier to prevent them than eradicate once there is an infestation... Some animals are very allergic to fleas (my dog) and  using a chemical to prevent them is worth the trade off in our case.
 

Personally, no you cannot treat fleas non chemically. Period. You can make things better but at some point you have to use a chemical to kill them and their eggs.

 

We will have to disagree, you most certainly can treat flees non chemically and those that are raw fed with clean water to drink are much better able deal with flees. Dogs that are allergic to flees have an immune issue, likely from vaccines and the chemicals ingested or put on their fur.

 

 


 

 


Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#6 of 41 Old 05-11-2011, 08:05 AM
 
SubliminalDarkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Outside of Augusta, GA
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

Absolutely. First you need to ensure your dog is in tip top health. For me that means no vaccines or chemical flee/tick/worm medications combined with species appropriate raw diet (prey model) and fresh clean (fluoride free) water. A couple of weeks after we got our puppy (now 10 months old) I noticed a couple of flees on him and even one or two on ds's shirt. I did buy some diatomaceous earth (DE) but didn't need to use it because they went away using a flower/gem essence formula called pests. It took two days to get rid of the flees and they had not come back. Garlic is also a very good flee deterrent. You can either give whole raw garlic cloves or garlic water which is a few cloves of garlic seeped overnight in half a gallon of pure water, you add some to the dog's water bowl. 

 

 



So your dog is not on a heartworm preventative? 

SubliminalDarkness is offline  
#7 of 41 Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 AM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: On The Path Of The Truth Seeker
Posts: 7,512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post





So your dog is not on a heartworm preventative? 


Absolutely not.

 


Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#8 of 41 Old 05-11-2011, 08:28 AM
 
greenmagick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Some people are able to control naturally.  I had been able to use nothing for a good 7 or 8 years, just kept healthy with diet etc.  However, last year we got hit HARD.  So I went back to frontline.  I hate using it but nothing else was working.  

 

Fleas definitely do attack "weaker" animals etc.  My old cat was covered where my other cat and dogs you couldnt find hardly one on.  Its kind of like in gardening, if all the plants are healthy there is less chance for pests to attack (but it still can happen)

 

Garlic is a wonderful supplement for dogs...it is toxic in extremely large doses but many many people use it as a supplement and medicinally.  

 

I know people who have had great luck with MSM supplementation and also using a product called "Bug off" which is mostly garlic.


Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks
 
 

greenmagick is offline  
#9 of 41 Old 05-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

you might be able to "control" fleas naturally but you aren't going to get rid of them once you have them. And once you have them they are going to multiple and multiple and eventually chemicals will be needed. Diet helps but is certainly doesn't PREVENT. Even the healthiest of animals get fleas. It's just the way it is.

 

My dog is allergic to fleas for a mystery reason, we don't even know how she spent the first 6 months of her life it just is the way it is.

 

I avoid using garlic as a supplement for my dog primarily because while it is toxic in higher quantities that doesn't mean a dog won't have an adverse reaction of some kind to a small amount. Every dog is different just like every human is different...

 

Sorry I skimmed the link missed the Food grade part. I was just saying in general it needs to be food grade. We use it on our chicken coop for mites and other buggies. Love the stuff.

 

Not using a heart worm preventative can be good and bad depending on where you live...

 

I don't use one until summer when the temps are going to be above 58 degrees continually. I think it is stupid not to use one during seasons in which the larvae can develop. I read a whole big thing about the heart worm life cycle and I do think it is CRAZY that vets insist your dog needs a heart worm pill during the winter (if you live in colder climates) where it is LITERALLY impossible for your dog to get it, if only because of the temperatures. That said, I have known people who refused to do heart worm pills for their dogs and I know at least one dog who died from trying to be treated for the heart worms he got. It is a terribly sad thing that can be very easily prevented.

Ldavis24 is offline  
#10 of 41 Old 05-11-2011, 09:01 AM
 
kristandthekids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
.

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
kristandthekids is offline  
#11 of 41 Old 05-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

vacuum too... a lot..

interesting about the humidity, I haven't ever heard that before.

Ldavis24 is offline  
#12 of 41 Old 05-11-2011, 10:37 AM
 
marimara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Florida coast
Posts: 1,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In the south, many fleas are becoming "immune" to advantage and the topical stuff.  I decided I didn't want the topical stuff around my house so we do Comfortis too.  It works well. However, it's not natural.  I am as granola as they come and I have not found a way to keep fleas out without comfortis/advantage, etc.  No amount of fleas are acceptable to me, they will multiply and my dog is highly allergic to them. This is one of the times I go with the non-natural choice, unfortunatley.  

 

 

But, I can say that if you already have them in your house, vaccuuming is the best way to get rid of them.  


Living Simply and Enjoying Life
marimara is offline  
#13 of 41 Old 05-11-2011, 11:05 AM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: On The Path Of The Truth Seeker
Posts: 7,512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post

you might be able to "control" fleas naturally but you aren't going to get rid of them once you have them. And once you have them they are going to multiple and multiple and eventually chemicals will be needed. Diet helps but is certainly doesn't PREVENT. Even the healthiest of animals get fleas. It's just the way it is.

 



Again, I was able to get rid of fleas only using a vibrational remedy, they fleas did not multiply and multiply, they literally disappeared withing two days. And I do think diet (raw prey model) prevents fleas, my dog has never gotten another one since.

 

 

Quote:
I avoid using garlic as a supplement for my dog primarily because while it is toxic in higher quantities that doesn't mean a dog won't have an adverse reaction of some kind to a small amount. Every dog is different just like every human is different...

 

Same could be said for insecticides. I would rather take my chances with garlic. As I mentioned, garlic water is an option if you don't want to give garlic cloves.


Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#14 of 41 Old 05-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post


 



Again, I was able to get rid of fleas only using a vibrational remedy, they fleas did not multiply and multiply, they literally disappeared withing two days. And I do think diet (raw prey model) prevents fleas, my dog has never gotten another one since.


vibrational?? Enlighten me. 

It is also possible that you could have fleas and not even know it, I'm not saying you do but just something to think about...

 

The idea that a flea won't jump on an animal that eats a certain diet is just ridiculous to me. A flea doesn't care what an animal eats, if they have the opportunity or need they will jump on any dog. If the raw diet actually stopped fleas, wolves wouldn't ever have them.

 

Ldavis24 is offline  
#15 of 41 Old 05-11-2011, 12:31 PM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: On The Path Of The Truth Seeker
Posts: 7,512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post




vibrational?? Enlighten me. 

 

Vibrational, as in flower essences. The Pests combo makes an animal's body energetically unwelcome to flees and tics.

 

It is also possible that you could have fleas and not even know it, I'm not saying you do but just something to think about...

 

Maybe, but I doubt it, I check him very regularly.

 

 

The idea that a flea won't jump on an animal that eats a certain diet is just ridiculous to me. A flea doesn't care what an animal eats, if they have the opportunity or need they will jump on any dog. If the raw diet actually stopped fleas, wolves wouldn't ever have them.

 

Fleas tend to "attack" animals that are in less than optimal health, dogs that are fed a species appropriate raw diet tend to be more healthy. Especially if they haven't been poisoned by insecticides and had their immune system damaged by vaccines (see Hayward study to understand how vaccines create auto-antibodies). Healthy animals tend not to have an out of control flee issue, so any fleas can more easily be gotten rid of or prevented in the first place. Wolves are wild animals, and a subject to way more stress than dogs that are well cared for by humans. Stress is a major immune depressor.
 

 



 


Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#16 of 41 Old 05-11-2011, 05:06 PM
 
lonegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto and Sault Ste Marie
Posts: 1,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://petpoisonhelpline.com/IsThatPoisonous/KitchenToxins/

This is the site we use at our hospital.

Garlic in large...or chronic doses can be toxic.  I have seen a dog die because of garlic ingestion...it happens.

 

"Onions, garlic, chives and leeks (Allium species):
When onions and garlic are ingested in large or chronic amounts, it result in Heinz body formation and anemia. Cats are more sensitive than dogs to Allium toxiciosis. Clinical signs are generally secondary to the anemia, with resultant weakness, lethargy and pale mucous membranes. Avoid using onion or garlic powder chronically in pet food, and make sure your pet doesn't ingest large amounts!"

 

Even the healthiest and best fed dogs can and do get fleas and heartworm.

 

BTW flea eggs can lie dormant up to a year in the environment until conditions change.


PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
lonegirl is offline  
#17 of 41 Old 05-14-2011, 11:29 AM
 
mamayogibear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Fleas aren't that big of a deal here but this year I am making my own mix of oils similar to this http://www.sergeantsnatural.com/products.html Prehaps someone in a area that is more flea prone could try this product and let me know if it works. I've only noticed one flea on my dog last year and that was without using flea products and after taking her to the park


be good family...

mamayogibear is offline  
#18 of 41 Old 05-15-2011, 01:59 PM
 
ananas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As a dog groomer, I see what fleas are capable of on a daily basis...and as a result, my dog is on Advantage, all of the other shop dogs are on advantage, and any time we see a dog with fleas, we recommend Advantage to them. It's the only thing I've found to be 100%, and to me, it's much better to Advantage the dogs once a month than deal with flea infestations, tapeworm, flea allergies, hot spots, etc...

 

I haven't found anything natural that works.

 

Also, I agree that diet has nothing to do with fleas. 


Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

ananas is online now  
#19 of 41 Old 05-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by ananas View Post

As a dog groomer, I see what fleas are capable of on a daily basis...and as a result, my dog is on Advantage, all of the other shop dogs are on advantage, and any time we see a dog with fleas, we recommend Advantage to them. It's the only thing I've found to be 100%, and to me, it's much better to Advantage the dogs once a month than deal with flea infestations, tapeworm, flea allergies, hot spots, etc...

 

I haven't found anything natural that works.

 

Also, I agree that diet has nothing to do with fleas. 

This makes me laugh, not at you at all, but at my dog because we used advantage on her and it didn't do a thing. No one at the vet's office would believe us that it didn't work! Switched to Frontline and had better success but we are going to Interceptor, I think that is what it's called, The oral one anyway when its time to re-up our supply.

Ldavis24 is offline  
#20 of 41 Old 05-16-2011, 06:54 AM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: On The Path Of The Truth Seeker
Posts: 7,512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by ananas View Post

As a dog groomer, I see what fleas are capable of on a daily basis...and as a result, my dog is on Advantage, all of the other shop dogs are on advantage, and any time we see a dog with fleas, we recommend Advantage to them. It's the only thing I've found to be 100%, and to me, it's much better to Advantage the dogs once a month than deal with flea infestations, tapeworm, flea allergies, hot spots, etc...

 

I haven't found anything natural that works.

 

Also, I agree that diet has nothing to do with fleas. 


As a dog groomer, how many raw fed, unvaccinated, chemical free dogs do you see? Very few, if any, I would think because groomers won't allow dogs that are unvaccinated. Diet has much to do with flees, a raw species appropriate diet provides the best nutrition for a dog to have a strong immune system and a truly healthy dog will not get flee investations, nor will they get allergies, hot spots and tapeworms, and if they do get tapeworms or a the odd flee, their bodies have all they need to rid themselves of them.

 

 

 

 

 


Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#21 of 41 Old 05-16-2011, 06:59 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post




As a dog groomer, how many raw fed, unvaccinated, chemical free dogs do you see? Very few, if any, I would think because groomers won't allow dogs that are unvaccinated. Diet has much to do with flees, a raw species appropriate diet provides the best nutrition for a dog to have a strong immune system and a truly healthy dog will not get flee investations, nor will they get allergies, hot spots and tapeworms, and if they do get tapeworms or a the odd flee, their bodies have all they need to rid themselves of them.

 

 

 

 

 


 

that is just so not true. Diet can help a dog be healthier overall but fleas don't give a damn how healthy your dog is. Raw diet is not the be all end all that people want it to be for keeping a dog healthy. Further unless you bred your puppy yourself it HAS had at least some form of vaccinations if the breeder/shelter was worth anything. My family has bred puppies and they all get wormed/vaxxed at a very young age since worms in puppies are exceedingly common.

 

Show me some kind of evidence outside of your ancedotal experience that feeding your dog  the "perfect" diet and not vaccinating them is going to stop fleas from infesting them because like I said a flea doesn't care how healthy your dog is. A flea bites the dog, jumps off lays a ton of eggs and then jumps back on then all those little baby fleas are looking for meals to and while they have been living sneakily in your carpet they aren't going to NOT jump on your dog because of the way it is fed.

Ldavis24 is offline  
#22 of 41 Old 05-16-2011, 08:08 AM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: On The Path Of The Truth Seeker
Posts: 7,512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post




 

that is just so not true. Diet can help a dog be healthier overall but fleas don't give a damn how healthy your dog is. Raw diet is not the be all end all that people want it to be for keeping a dog healthy. Further unless you bred your puppy yourself it HAS had at least some form of vaccinations if the breeder/shelter was worth anything. My family has bred puppies and they all get wormed/vaxxed at a very young age since worms in puppies are exceedingly common.

 

Show me some kind of evidence outside of your ancedotal experience that feeding your dog  the "perfect" diet and not vaccinating them is going to stop fleas from infesting them because like I said a flea doesn't care how healthy your dog is. A flea bites the dog, jumps off lays a ton of eggs and then jumps back on then all those little baby fleas are looking for meals to and while they have been living sneakily in your carpet they aren't going to NOT jump on your dog because of the way it is fed.


I don't know why you are so defensive, but you are wrong about fleas, they most certainly do prey on weakened animals. A raw diet is a vital component on keeping an animal in optimal health, so yes it will help an animal deal with fleas. My puppy is a 1st generation naturally reared dog, he has never been vaccinated or wormed and is the picture of health and vitality. Check out this interview given by a breeder who's 1st generation naturally reared newfie lived to be 17 years old. The interviewer did get a little confused, the dog with the breeder is the granddaughter not daughter of the 17 year old newfie.

 

As for evidence, well who is going to pay for research to prove a raw fed animal is healthier than a kibble fed dog, there is too much money at stack from the establishment. Do some research on natural rearing breeders, join a some yahoogroups, you will get plenty of evidence on the many, many benefits of a species appropriate raw diet, combined with no vax and chemicals. You are not understanding me, I am not saying fleas won't jump on a raw fed dog, they but they won't infest them if the animal is healthy, you might get a couple of fleas and that can be handled naturally very easily. Dogs that have a less than optimal diet (kibble, even premium) have their immune system corrupted by vaccines (auto antibodies) and are poisoned by insecticides, are just not healthy, plain and simple.

 

 

 


Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#23 of 41 Old 05-16-2011, 08:15 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post


 


I don't know why you are so defensive, but you are wrong about flees, they most certainly do prey on weakened animals. A raw diet is a vital component on keeping an animal in optimal health, so yes it will help an animal deal with flees. My puppy is a 1st generation naturally reared dog, he has never been vaccinated or wormed and is the picture of health and vitality. Check out this interview given by a breeder who's 1st generation naturally reared newfie lived to be 17 years old. The interviewer did get a little confused, the dog with the breeder is the granddaughter not daughter of the 17 year old newfie.

 

As for evidence, well who is going to pay for research to prove a raw fed animal is healthier than a kibble fed dog, there is too much money at stack from the establishment. Do some research on natural rearing breeders, join a some yahoogroups, you will get plenty of evidence on the many, many benefits of a species appropriate raw diet, combined with no vax and chemicals. You are not understanding me, I am not saying fleas won't jump on a raw fed dog, they but they won't infest them if the animal is healthy, you might get a couple of fleas and that can be handled naturally very easily. Dogs that have a less than optimal diet (kibble, even premium) have their immune system corrupted by vaccines (auto antibodies) and are poisoned by insecticides, are just not healthy, plain and simple.

 

 

 

I'm not defensive I am annoyed by you saying that dogs who eat raw diets don't get flea infestations...

yes a flea will attack a weakened dog, BUT they will also attack any animal they can. They are opportunists not selective hunters. Yes they can and will infest a healthy dog, a healthy immune system will slow a flea infestation but you cannot simply stop it by having a very healthy animal. Fleas DO NOT care how healthy an animal is in regard to an infestation. As a PP said for every flea you see there are hundreds more in your furniture carpets etc...

 

I'm not against raw diets at all, I think they are great but there is a huge huge push on MDC that the solution to every problem canine can be solved with a raw diet and that simply isn't true. A raw diet just isn't something that works for everyone and a raw diet combined with lack of vaccines is not going to stop a flea infestation, it's just not.

 

FYI, I know you mentioned you never use a heartworm medication for your dog and I find that just plain dangerous. Heartworm is common during the months in which the temperature allows the larvae to develop and it is horrible for dogs. I appreciate you have your alternative views on animal care but SOME things that are not natural are a good thing for the well-being of dogs. I just can't take a person really seriously when they say then NEVER do something like heartworm their dog because a "natural" dog is better (even when it dies of heartworms?) than a dog that has been selectively given a few chemicals for it's overall well-being. 
The whole, "lets be more natural than everybody else no matter what the cost" attitude really gets my goat. Have you ever seen a puppy die of Parvo? I have when I worked in the shelter I volunteered at (he was in quarantine because of the disease) Well actually he didn't die of Parvo specifically he was euthanized in part to prevent it spreading and in part because treatment wasn't working....Don't tell me all vaccines are bad for dogs, the parvo vax has saved so many puppies lives it's not even funny. It's not like a human vaccine for a disease that is so rare the number of cases can be counted on one hand. Some diseases that dogs are vaxxed for are really REALLY common. 

 

Ldavis24 is offline  
#24 of 41 Old 05-16-2011, 08:32 AM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: On The Path Of The Truth Seeker
Posts: 7,512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post



I'm not defensive I am annoyed by you saying that dogs who eat raw diets don't get flea infestations...

yes a flea will attack a weakened dog, BUT they will also attack any animal they can. They are opportunists not selective hunters. Yes they can and will infest a healthy dog, a healthy immune system will slow a flea infestation but you cannot simply stop it by having a very healthy animal. Fleas DO NOT care how healthy an animal is in regard to an infestation. As a PP said for every flea you see there are hundreds more in your furniture carpets etc...

 

I'm not against raw diets at all, I think they are great but there is a huge huge push on MDC that the solution to every problem canine can be solved with a raw diet and that simply isn't true. A raw diet just isn't something that works for everyone and a raw diet combined with lack of vaccines is not going to stop a flea infestation, it's just not.

 

FYI, I know you mentioned you never use a heartworm medication for your dog and I find that just plain dangerous. Heartworm is common during the months in which the temperature allows the larvae to develop and it is horrible for dogs. I appreciate you have your alternative views on animal care but SOME things that are not natural are a good thing for the well-being of dogs. I just can't take a person really seriously when they say then NEVER do something like heartworm their dog because a "natural" dog is better (even when it dies of heartworms?) than a dog that has been selectively given a few chemicals for it's overall well-being. 
The whole, "lets be more natural than everybody else no matter what the cost" attitude really gets my goat. Have you ever seen a puppy die of Parvo? I have when I worked in the shelter I volunteered at (he was in quarantine because of the disease)...Don't tell me all vaccines are bad for dogs, the parvo vax has saved so many puppies lives it's not even funny. It's not like a human vaccine for a disease that is so rare the number of cases can be counted on one hand. Some diseases that dogs are vaxxed for are really REALLY common.

 


You have drunk the coolaid. You have not done your research on heartworm and you have no idea how a naturally reared dog's body operates, so I cannot take you seriously either because you are merely repeating what the AVMA and big pharma has told you. Vaccines are bad for dogs there is no way around it. Parvo is a man-made virus and the vaccine is the culprit. Unvaccinated puppies, properly cared for have a much better survival rate than those unfortunate enough to be vaccinated for the disease.

 


Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#25 of 41 Old 05-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post




You have drunk the coolaid. You have not done your research on heartworm and you have no idea how a naturally reared dog's body operates, so I cannot take you seriously either because you are merely repeating what the AVMA and big pharma has told you. Vaccines are bad for dogs there is no way around it. Parvo is a man-made virus and the vaccine is the culprit. Unvaccinated puppies, properly cared for have a much better survival rate than those unfortunate enough to be vaccinated for the disease.

 

oh christ, here comes the you are just a sheep for big pharma insult. Those get hurled around here like throwing rice at a wedding...

Parvo could have been made by fairies but that doesn't mean it isn't out in the world now. Vaccines may not be great for dogs but you ignored the point about heartworms which were not made by man and ARE a real threat to even the healthiest of dogs. 

As usual I am not surprised that the argument always turns to "you aren't crunchy enough because you just believe everything big pharma tells you"...I am just surprised that it is happening in the pets forum.

 

I certainly don't give my dog vaxes just because they are fun but I do give her the rabies vaccine (the only one actually although she is a shelter dog so by your standards she is damaged beyond repair) because it is the LAW and the fact that if she ever bit someone she wouldn't have to spend extended period of time in quarantine because of not vaxing her. I give my dog heartworm preventative in the appropriate season because I don't care how healthy or "natural" a dog is mosquitos could give a damn and the heartworm larvae certainly don't care either. I give her a flea and tick preventative because she otherwise gets miserable with one flea on her. Tick preventatives are especially important for people who live in regions (thinking southwest here) where diseases such as rocky mountain fever and others born by ticks are very common. Once again a "natural" dog is not immune to tick born diseases or mosquito born diseases. A healthy immune system is a wonderful thing in humans and dogs but a healthy immune system does NOT prevent some of the terrible diseases that can kill your dog.

If that is called drinking the Koolaid whatever, I have done copious amounts of research and just because I don't think that going ALL natural is the best idea doesn't mean I don't know what I am talking about. 

 

 

Ldavis24 is offline  
#26 of 41 Old 05-16-2011, 09:01 AM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: On The Path Of The Truth Seeker
Posts: 7,512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post



oh christ, here comes the you are just a sheep for big pharma insult. Those get hurled around here like throwing rice at a wedding...

Parvo could have been made by fairies but that doesn't mean it isn't out in the world now. Vaccines may not be great for dogs but you ignored the point about heartworms which were not made by man and ARE a real threat to even the healthiest of dogs. 

As usual I am not surprised that the argument always turns to "you aren't crunchy enough because you just believe everything big pharma tells you"...I am just surprised that it is happening in the pets forum.

 

I certainly don't give my dog vaxes just because they are fun but I do give her the rabies vaccine (the only one actually although she is a shelter dog so by your standards she is damaged beyond repair) because it is the LAW and the fact that if she ever bit someone she wouldn't have to spend extended period of time in quarantine because of not vaxing her. I give my dog heartworm preventative in the appropriate season because I don't care how healthy or "natural" a dog is mosquitos could give a damn and the heartworm larvae certainly don't care either. I give her a flea and tick preventative because she otherwise gets miserable with one flea on her. Tick preventatives are especially important for people who live in regions (thinking southwest here) where diseases such as rocky mountain fever and others born by ticks are very common. Once again a "natural" dog is not immune to tick born diseases or mosquito born diseases. A healthy immune system is a wonderful thing in humans and dogs but a healthy immune system does NOT prevent some of the terrible diseases that can kill your dog.

If that is called drinking the Koolaid whatever, I have done copious amounts of research and just because I don't think that going ALL natural is the best idea doesn't mean I don't know what I am talking about. 

 

 


I am no longer willing to debate with you. Your comment about the immune system of dogs, is ridiculous, what makes dog's immune systems so lacking? I did address heartworm, I have done my research and I more than comfortable about not giving heartworm preventatives.  Frankly, I couldn't care less what you give your dog natural or unnatural, all I am concerned about is the health and well being of my dog. The OP asked about natural ways to control fleas, I told her. If you choose to use chemicals because you do not believe there is any other way, then fine with me.  My posts have obviously pushed your buttons for some reason, so please feel free to put me on ignore.

 


Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#27 of 41 Old 05-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mirzam...I appreciate the not willing to debate I am done as well...I find it amusing you chose to cut things off as if you are above arguing pettily  considering you are the one who started hurling insults.

Peace out mama off to play outside with DD.

Ldavis24 is offline  
#28 of 41 Old 05-16-2011, 11:28 AM
 
NikonMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: On 5 acres near Branson, MO
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post



This makes me laugh, not at you at all, but at my dog because we used advantage on her and it didn't do a thing. No one at the vet's office would believe us that it didn't work! Switched to Frontline and had better success but we are going to Interceptor, I think that is what it's called, The oral one anyway when its time to re-up our supply.

I don't think you mean Interceptor.  That is for heartworm and intestinal worms only, not fleas or ticks.  I use Interceptor for my dogs for heartworm preventative and intestinal worms b/c they like to eat chicken and cow poop.  Gross, I know, but chickens and cows carry worms so we HAVE to treat the dogs so they don't develop any of them.   

 

It sounds stupid, but you should try the cheap Hartz topical that you can get in the pet aisle in the grocery store.  We can't afford Frontline, so we thought we'd try the Hartz kind to see how it works.  We live in the country and our dogs were getting ticks like crazy.  I put the Hartz on, and the next day they completely stopped getting ticks altogether.  Our vet stopped carrying Frontline completely b/c of reports that it doesn't work as well anymore.
 

 


Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

NikonMama is offline  
#29 of 41 Old 05-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonMama View Post



I don't think you mean Interceptor.  That is for heartworm and intestinal worms only, not fleas or ticks.  I use Interceptor for my dogs for heartworm preventative and intestinal worms b/c they like to eat chicken and cow poop.  Gross, I know, but chickens and cows carry worms so we HAVE to treat the dogs so they don't develop any of them.   

 

It sounds stupid, but you should try the cheap Hartz topical that you can get in the pet aisle in the grocery store.  We can't afford Frontline, so we thought we'd try the Hartz kind to see how it works.  We live in the country and our dogs were getting ticks like crazy.  I put the Hartz on, and the next day they completely stopped getting ticks altogether.  Our vet stopped carrying Frontline completely b/c of reports that it doesn't work as well anymore.
 

 



ugh I can't remember what I mean but I will check out hartz just because like you said it is way way cheaper!

Ldavis24 is offline  
#30 of 41 Old 05-16-2011, 12:05 PM
 
NikonMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: On 5 acres near Branson, MO
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post





ugh I can't remember what I mean but I will check out hartz just because like you said it is way way cheaper!

They have three different ones, the basic one, then Hartz UltraGuard Plus, and we used the highest one Hartz UltraGuard Pro.  Worked like a champ.  :)
 

 


Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

NikonMama is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off