Litter box in my bedroom driving me CRAZY - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 05-15-2011, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looking for some advice about my 2 cat's litter box. We have had it in the closet in our bedroom for a couple years now as this is the only place I can think to put it. I hate that they always seem to make a stinky in the middle of the night! Then my whole bedroom smells like crap and I have to get up in the middle of the night and clean it so I can actually fall back asleep.

We have 2 dogs that the 2 cats don't like so they are kept downstairs and the cats are upstairs. Our 2bed house is ~700 sqft., no basement. Before DD1&2 were here we just kept the boxes in the other bedroom (small). Then dd wanted her own room and the litter boxes went into the closet of my small bedroom. The only other places upstairs are the very small hallway (5'x5') and our very small bathroom.

I don't think putting the boxes downstairs will work as the cats don't hardly ever come down and our one dog likes to eat the poop and litter. Need advice PLEASE, stressed out about this. I don't want to think about giving the cats away (13 yrs old), but sometimes I horribly think that.

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
#2 of 30 Old 05-16-2011, 12:51 AM
Banned

do you have all of the carbon filters, etc etc etc that you can? 

it's interesting, but when I owned a cat, i never remembered this as being a problem. of course, the litter box was kept in a corner of the laundry area most of the time. so well away from the living/sleeping parts of the house.

we are planning on getting a cat; i'm planning on putting the litter box in the mudroom/laundry room as well. it's a very small house -- about 550 sq ft (i think), and that should work because it's well away from the sleeping area. BUt it would only be one cat.

#3 of 30 Old 05-16-2011, 02:58 AM

Could be the food they are  eating is making the  poo stench.Try another food.Try litter boxes with a lid,and in those lids are carbon blocks or packets. You could try hanging a mesh bag of carbon from the fish section.

#4 of 30 Old 05-16-2011, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

do you have all of the carbon filters, etc etc etc that you can? 

it's interesting, but when I owned a cat, i never remembered this as being a problem. of course, the litter box was kept in a corner of the laundry area most of the time. so well away from the living/sleeping parts of the house.

we are planning on getting a cat; i'm planning on putting the litter box in the mudroom/laundry room as well. it's a very small house -- about 550 sq ft (i think), and that should work because it's well away from the sleeping area. BUt it would only be one cat.

Unfortunately we don't have a basement or a laundry room. Our washer/dryer is in the kitchen, out in the open.

We have 3 litter boxes for the 2 cats. I do have a air purifier running all day, which is about 1.5' away from the litter boxes, in the closet.

They are lined up in a row underneath the clothes bar. Our clothes that we do have hanging are pushed out of the way, but everything hanging has a "dust" on it and smells like cat litter. Lovely, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemma04 View Post

Could be the food they are  eating is making the  poo stench.Try another food.Try litter boxes with a lid,and in those lids are carbon blocks or packets. You could try hanging a mesh bag of carbon from the fish section.

We have been using the same food for many years, Nutro brand. We have switched to their indoor senior cat kind, previously just senior cat formula. Not sure what brand to try.

We tried having covers on the boxes and they prefer to have them off. They would avoid the covered box. It did have the filters in the top.

I do try to keep the folding doors to the closet mostly closed with just a crack open so they can get in there, but my one cat always pushes the one side all the way open. She doesn't like closed doors.

I had wanted to move 2 of the boxes into the small hallway which would make a slight obstacle when coming up the stairs, but there is a furnace intake vent right where there would be room. Dh thought that wouldn't be a good spot.

#5 of 30 Old 05-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Banned

i would likely keep the litter boxes in my bathroom, then, and just accept that this is the choice I made. I would be loathe to give away an older cat. It's very hard to find them homes.

For your closet, I would recommend inexpensive garment bags that you can get at Ikea or Bed, Bath, and Beyond for a good price. It will keep the dust off your clothes, at least. 

#6 of 30 Old 05-16-2011, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

i would likely keep the litter boxes in my bathroom, then, and just accept that this is the choice I made. I would be loathe to give away an older cat. It's very hard to find them homes.

For your closet, I would recommend inexpensive garment bags that you can get at Ikea or Bed, Bath, and Beyond for a good price. It will keep the dust off your clothes, at least. 

My bathroom is small and I wouldn't want my 14 month old getting into it. Wishing it was bigger though.

That's a good idea about the garment bags, I will have to check into that.

I could never REALLY let the cats go. I just get so frustrated when the stinkies happen in the middle of the night and I am in the closet with a flashlight scooping poop, while trying to be uber quiet as to not wake dd who wakes at the slightest noise.

Dreaming of a larger house....

#7 of 30 Old 05-16-2011, 08:13 PM

Do you have any sort of nook or cranny in your house that you can gate off so the dogs can't get into the catboxes?  Closet under the stairs, entryway by the back door, anything like that?  We have a tiny house too but luckily we have a laundry nook and I have the cat box (only one for our three cats lol) under a metro shelf by the back door (an area that is gated off so DS doesn't decide to go for a tasty poopsnack).

Anything?

#8 of 30 Old 05-16-2011, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
http://outdoorlitterbox.com/

http://www.litterbox-outside.com/

There are solutions like this that take the smell outside.
#9 of 30 Old 05-16-2011, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post

Do you have any sort of nook or cranny in your house that you can gate off so the dogs can't get into the catboxes?  Closet under the stairs, entryway by the back door, anything like that?  We have a tiny house too but luckily we have a laundry nook and I have the cat box (only one for our three cats lol) under a metro shelf by the back door (an area that is gated off so DS doesn't decide to go for a tasty poopsnack).

Anything?

We do have a small under the stairs closet, but it is filled with stuff as we have only one other closet in our house and no basement. The rest of the house is pretty much open with no really nooks. Even if I did find a place out of dog and dd reach, I don't think that they would come downstairs because of the dogs. I don't want to stress them out and have them potty somewhere else, like my bed or something.

This morning dd woke early and was crawling around on the bed and just as I opened my eyes she picked something off the bed. I just thought it was a tuft of fur, but no it was a hunk of cat litter, with a turd? in it. Lovely start to the day. Luckily I opened my eyes when I did or she would have for sure put that in her mouth. Blah.

#10 of 30 Old 05-17-2011, 04:40 PM

In our old apartment we had our cat box in the bathroom.  The sink was the pedestle type so had it just under it...the bathroom gets stinky anyways winky.gif

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#11 of 30 Old 05-17-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

http://outdoorlitterbox.com/

http://www.litterbox-outside.com/

There are solutions like this that take the smell outside.

That's neat. But you have to cut a hole in the wall of the house, is that right? I don't think dh will go for that as we will hopefully move in a few years. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegirl View Post

In our old apartment we had our cat box in the bathroom.  The sink was the pedestle type so had it just under it...the bathroom gets stinky anyways winky.gif

Our bathroom has a cabinet. Would be nice if there were room though. Then I could just turn on the fan to get the stink out :)

#12 of 30 Old 05-17-2011, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by northerngirl View Post

That's neat. But you have to cut a hole in the wall of the house, is that right? I don't think dh will go for that as we will hopefully move in a few years. 

Any chance somebody might have moved a kitchen or bathroom in your place? My house has a couple of spots that were "patched" because the dryer vent is now in a different location than before my remodel.
#13 of 30 Old 05-18-2011, 07:24 AM

My recommendation is to move the stuff from under your bathroom sink and put whatever was there into your closet.  Remove the doors from your cabinet and use tension rods to put little curtains in the doorways.  That way if you move you can easily put the doors back on.

Mom to cat.gif and looking forward to breastfeeding and nurturing future kids!  luxlove.gif
#14 of 30 Old 05-18-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefrenzy View Post

My recommendation is to move the stuff from under your bathroom sink and put whatever was there into your closet.  Remove the doors from your cabinet and use tension rods to put little curtains in the doorways.  That way if you move you can easily put the doors back on.

I wish under the sink was big enough. The cabinet is the same size as the sink pretty much, then there's the pipes that would be in the way. My big fluffies couldn't fit in there :}

#15 of 30 Old 05-18-2011, 07:09 PM

I have found that in all the house we have had, that there is always room for the box between the toilet and wall.

#16 of 30 Old 05-18-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsie View Post

I have found that in all the house we have had, that there is always room for the box between the toilet and wall.

Unfortunately that leaves too much opportunity for LO to indulge in Tasty Poop Snacks/Toys.  Especially once potty training starts.

#17 of 30 Old 05-18-2011, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Put a cat door with a plastic swinging flap on your closet door to contain the smell somewhat, and move your clothes to anywhere but there.

Empty out the small storage closet you mentioned earlier, put that stuff in your bedroom closet and put the litter boxes in there (why do you have three boxes?).

Put the boxes on the stairs? 

Put the boxes downstairs, but gated off with something only the cats can fit through, or have a perch to help them jump over to get in and out.

Put the litter boxes under the bathroom sink?

Put the litter boxes on a shelving unit, upstairs or downstairs (will cats go up things to get to litter?)

Euthenize the cats.

(I hate cat litter)

Decluttering 500/2010
#18 of 30 Old 05-18-2011, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post

Unfortunately that leaves too much opportunity for LO to indulge in Tasty Poop Snacks/Toys.  Especially once potty training starts.

YES. When anyone has to go to the bathroom whether its me or older dd, all 3 of us go into the bathroom. Dd2 ends up getting into anything she can while waiting, which ends up being the bath toys. Once we get a potty chair in there again there will be even less room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers View Post

Put a cat door with a plastic swinging flap on your closet door to contain the smell somewhat, and move your clothes to anywhere but there.

Empty out the small storage closet you mentioned earlier, put that stuff in your bedroom closet and put the litter boxes in there (why do you have three boxes?).

Put the boxes on the stairs? 

Put the boxes downstairs, but gated off with something only the cats can fit through, or have a perch to help them jump over to get in and out.

Put the litter boxes under the bathroom sink?

Put the litter boxes on a shelving unit, upstairs or downstairs (will cats go up things to get to litter?)

Euthenize the cats.

(I hate cat litter)

The closet doors are wooden slatted type that fold open. Even though I have a air purifier going in there all the time the smell still permeates the room.

We use to have just one box, then one of the cats would pee next to the box. The vet said to have one box per cat plus one, equals 3 boxes. We have not had the peeing problem since.

I do wish that I could somehow put them somewhere downstairs, but since the boxes have been in our upstairs for over 6 years, I am not sure that they would go downstairs when my bedroom has been their "home".

Also, I am not sure if the cats can jump very high as they sometimes miss jumping onto my platform bed. Which is kind funny to watch.

#19 of 30 Old 05-18-2011, 09:56 PM

How about a different litter?  What type of litter are you using?  Maybe a litter that reduces the smell of feces quicker?

Mom to cat.gif and looking forward to breastfeeding and nurturing future kids!  luxlove.gif
#20 of 30 Old 05-20-2011, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

How about a different litter?  What type of litter are you using?  Maybe a litter that reduces the smell of feces quicker?

For the last several years we've been using a clumping litter that is from Petco. We started using this brand because you can refill the bucket and it is unscented. It was when one of my kitties was peeing outside the litter box that we made the change to unscented. Is there such a litter that reduces smell, but doesn't smell itself. I don't like perfumy smells.

#21 of 30 Old 05-20-2011, 09:56 PM

I've been looking into crystal cat litter.  I found this link on Petco's website that may be helpful.  It looks like the more natural litters have the best order control.  http://www.petco.com/Shop/ShoppingGuides/petco_ChooseCatLitter_ShoppingGuideID_4_nav_288.aspx?cm_mmc=redirect-_-van-_-url-_-CatLitterInStore

#22 of 30 Old 05-21-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerngirl View Post

For the last several years we've been using a clumping litter that is from Petco. We started using this brand because you can refill the bucket and it is unscented. It was when one of my kitties was peeing outside the litter box that we made the change to unscented. Is there such a litter that reduces smell, but doesn't smell itself. I don't like perfumy smells.

I sprinkle baking soda into the box to help absorb odours.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#23 of 30 Old 05-21-2011, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've been looking into crystal cat litter.  I found this link on Petco's website that may be helpful.  It looks like the more natural litters have the best order control.  http://www.petco.com/Shop/ShoppingGuides/petco_ChooseCatLitter_ShoppingGuideID_4_nav_288.aspx?cm_mmc=redirect-_-van-_-url-_-CatLitterInStore

I tried to change to other litters such as yesterday's news and feline pine, but my cats did not like it at all. I will have to look further into the crystal kind. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegirl View Post

I sprinkle baking soda into the box to help absorb odours.

Yes, I should try that. Thank you.

#24 of 30 Old 05-21-2011, 07:00 PM

The regular non clumping feline pine really reduces odors.   The clumping feline pine is annoying because it tracks everywhere.  As far as cleaning it out.... the non clumping works just as well for us.   We also have a super small apartment and put the litter box in the kitchen.  DD22mo knows that it is "yucky" but before we moved to this apt when she was ~16mo, we kept the box gated off.

#25 of 30 Old 05-21-2011, 08:00 PM

I would move everything from the storage closet into your closet and the litter boxes into your storage closet.

or how about try something like this:  http://www.petco.com/product/100832/ScoopFree-Automatic-Self-Cleaning-Litter-Box.aspx

http://www.littermaid.com/

My friend swears by hers (seriously she only empties it like every 2-4 weeks. It does smell but if she cleaned every couple of days I bet it would be oder free.)  And if you have a self cleaning box it would take care of the middle of the night cleaning, keep dogs and little ones from eating poo treats (and which means you could move it out of your room), and may even reduce the number of boxes you need.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#26 of 30 Old 05-21-2011, 08:20 PM

If you're really stuck on space and the cats need an open box (there are those deep covered ones with the hole on top I'd suggest trying if that weren't the case) I'd seriously try to switch litter or combine what you use with another.  A few of the 'natural' litters (like nature's miracle and the world's best) are very similar to your basic clay in texture.  We use a combo of whatever pellet pine litter is cheapest and nature's miracle.  It has helped a lot with odor over others (although we used a really cheap cedar litter for awhile until we couldn't buy it anywhere anymore that was good too - probably the best we've used).

Have you seen the litter-box-hiding end tables?  Rigging up something like that might create a new space elsewhere than in the closet?  And could get strategically placed so cats can get in but not little hands. 

#27 of 30 Old 05-21-2011, 08:42 PM

I can totally empathize with you on this issue, only difference here is the box is in the tiny bathroom connected to our bedroom.  I'm doing the same as you, getting up and taking care of it if I smell it.  My cat never covers his treats either, so it's a major stink no matter what food or litter.  I do use an odor neutralizer spray though, just because with closed windows the stink won't clear up quickly and I can't go back to sleep.

#28 of 30 Old 05-21-2011, 09:36 PM

My parents have cats, and though one is a total fraidy cat he goes into the boxes with the lids b/c they are the only boxes my parents have.  They really do help reduce the odors, and the older cat should get used to them if its their only option.  Switch boxes early in the morning though, so the cat doesn't freak out in the middle of the night, lol

#29 of 30 Old 05-22-2011, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post

I would move everything from the storage closet into your closet and the litter boxes into your storage closet.

or how about try something like this:  http://www.petco.com/product/100832/ScoopFree-Automatic-Self-Cleaning-Litter-Box.aspx

http://www.littermaid.com/

My friend swears by hers (seriously she only empties it like every 2-4 weeks. It does smell but if she cleaned every couple of days I bet it would be oder free.)  And if you have a self cleaning box it would take care of the middle of the night cleaning, keep dogs and little ones from eating poo treats (and which means you could move it out of your room), and may even reduce the number of boxes you need.

The storage closet is under the stairs. I am not certain that they would be cool with such a drastic location change. I am not sure if they would come downstairs because of the dogs.

I wish I could afford an automatic litter box...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post

If you're really stuck on space and the cats need an open box (there are those deep covered ones with the hole on top I'd suggest trying if that weren't the case) I'd seriously try to switch litter or combine what you use with another.  A few of the 'natural' litters (like nature's miracle and the world's best) are very similar to your basic clay in texture.  We use a combo of whatever pellet pine litter is cheapest and nature's miracle.  It has helped a lot with odor over others (although we used a really cheap cedar litter for awhile until we couldn't buy it anywhere anymore that was good too - probably the best we've used).

Have you seen the litter-box-hiding end tables?  Rigging up something like that might create a new space elsewhere than in the closet?  And could get strategically placed so cats can get in but not little hands. 

I think I tried the world's best kind before, when they were peeing outside the box. It was a no go. The world's best is similar?

Will check into the litter box hiding end tables. Maybe we could rig one up as funds are low right now. But still not sure if they will come downstairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siennaflower View Post

I can totally empathize with you on this issue, only difference here is the box is in the tiny bathroom connected to our bedroom.  I'm doing the same as you, getting up and taking care of it if I smell it.  My cat never covers his treats either, so it's a major stink no matter what food or litter.  I do use an odor neutralizer spray though, just because with closed windows the stink won't clear up quickly and I can't go back to sleep.

Nice to know I am not the only one with this problem. My cat doesn't cover probably half the time. But I especially love when there is a special stinky treat left for me on my bed. Not that they pooped there, but that a piece was stuck to their long hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

My parents have cats, and though one is a total fraidy cat he goes into the boxes with the lids b/c they are the only boxes my parents have.  They really do help reduce the odors, and the older cat should get used to them if its their only option.  Switch boxes early in the morning though, so the cat doesn't freak out in the middle of the night, lol

We took the covers off when they were peeing outside the box. Then I had one covered and the 2 others not covered and they would never use the covered one.

Thanks for the laugh...kitty freak out in the middle of the night. lol

#30 of 30 Old 05-27-2011, 02:50 PM

Watch craigs list for an automatic box.  You may be able to snag one for cheap.    

Also consider how much you are spending on three boxes (maybe it is just me but I feel like we spend a fortune on litter. My friend swears she uses less litter than me since she doesn't have to clean as often) and fancy litter etc.  It might end up costing less to do this.

Have you considered putting the cats out at night?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page