Getting the smell of dog out of a couch? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-25-2011, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

DH and I just got a 2nd hand couch that smells very strongly of dogs. So far we've sprayed it and scrubbed it with vinegar. I was going to open the living room window today and air it out. Has anyone had experience with this and know how to get the smell out? 

Thanks so much!

#2 of 6 Old 05-25-2011, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have much to offer, unfortunately but I thought I'd commiserate.  We had couches that we allowed our very large, very smelly dog to lay on.  When I finally came to my senses and stopped allowing him up, they were too far gone.  They were cloth with foam cushions and no matter what I did, the smell lingered.  We tried vinegar, special soap for pet smells, industrial cleaners, using an industrial rug cleaner on it, etc.  It was pretty bad.

Again, I'm sorry I don't have any good hints for you.  Good luck!

#3 of 6 Old 05-25-2011, 10:02 AM

I would try pouring a 1/4 inch layer of baking soda on it and leaving it for over night. Then vacuum off. Also did you try wetting with straight vinegar and letting sit to air dry? I got cat pee smell out doing this. I hope you have luck.

HeatherAtHome likes this.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#4 of 6 Old 05-25-2011, 11:03 AM

I've heard good things about enzyme cleaners for urine spots, etc. Although, I'm not sure how "friendly" they are. Might be worth a little investigation.

#5 of 6 Old 05-27-2011, 02:55 PM

My favorite enzyme cleaner is Anti Icky Poo by Mister Max. Miracle cleaner! It simply uses natural enzymes that quickly eat up the bacteria that is causing the smell. Works on ALL bio smells of animals, people and plants (like decaying vegetables or spilled milk you just found...) . If using on upholstery or carpet be sure to use a lot and let it soak in.

Rhianna

#6 of 6 Old 05-28-2011, 06:24 PM

Rhianna-Have you compared your recommendation to other enzyme products or is this what you use because you used it once and it worked?

Curious how it compares to others. We have lo approaching potty learning and I'm trying to think ahead.winky.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page