So how much salad can a cat safely eat? :-/ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2011, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a completely indoor cat who isn't too bright.  I also just inherited two desert tortise's who eat a lot of salad mixes, lettuce, and greens.  Well my cat has decided that their food rocks, and he pigs out on the salad every morning when it's first put out.  It hasn't made him sick, and I figure that some is ok for him.  But can the cat eating salad everyday become a problem?  I am really clueless on this one lol.

Oh, and offering him cat grass has not stopped the salad eating any. 

Thanks!

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 09:23 PM
2xy

I don't think greens will hurt the cat unless he's filling up so much on greens that he's not eating his own food.

What kind of food do you feed him? Maybe his body is missing something that salad provides.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Well it's technically my boyfriends cat, and he's pretty possessive and overprotective over him.  So I don't really get any say about his diet unfortunately.  He eats the same dry cat food (Iams I think) every day.  I don't doubt that he may be missing or craving something else.  I can't change his diet, but I could supplement some things if I knew what he may want/need.  He has definitely started eating less cat food since the salad, but he was probably eating too much before to be honest.  I guess I will watch him and see what happens.  You're right about greens probably not being at all harmful though.  Thanks :)

Old 05-29-2011, 07:07 AM
2xy

Well...Iams is one of those cat foods that people think is superior because it's more expensive, when really it's pretty lousy. There's a lot of by-product meal and corn products in Iams dry food. I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but a cat's diet should be made of almost nothing but meat (and bone, if they're fed homemade food). Cats DO ingest grains, and fruits/veggies in the wild....but they get those from the stomachs of the prey they catch, so it's in small amounts. And they do eat grasses/greens on occasion. But the bulk of their diets should not be corn or rice, and "chicken by-product meal" can be made out of beaks and feathers, and have no nutritional value. It's just cheap filler.

And yes, cats who are fed sub-par food will overeat, because their bodies are craving nutrition and it makes them keep returning to the food bowl in a never-ending quest for vitamins. So many cats (and dogs) who are fed junk food become fat.

If you can get your boyfriend to read some labels and pick out a commercial cat food that is made from meat and grain free, that would be the best thing. There is also a supplement called Missing Link that my cats like....you can find it in most pet stores, IME. You just sprinkle it on the cat's regular food.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Oh definitely the choir here.  We grew up breeding and rescuing cats, so I realize how much better his diet could be than it is.  You have inspired me though to really push to get his food changed to something better.  Thanks for the supplement recommendation too, I will get that asap for the meantime.

My dp is an old stubborn fool who knows next to nothing about cats.  One of his ex girlfriends told him that if you ever give a cat more than one kind of food, they will become spoiled and finicky...and for some reason my dp believes this.  So it's not even a money issue with the food or anything, just stubborn. eyesroll.gif Thanks for the kick start to get this changed though.  The cat is my buddy now too and I really want what's best for him.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:18 PM

Can you feed the tortoises where the cat can't get to it, just so they at least get first dibs on their food lol. 

Old 05-29-2011, 06:09 PM
2xy

I know cat saliva is toxic to birds. I wonder if it can harm turtles?

Old 05-29-2011, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Huh? I will look that up.  I am very new to turtles and know next to nothing about them.  I suppose I figured that if they are as old as the dinosaurs...then it would take more than some cat saliva to take them out lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

I know cat saliva is toxic to birds. I wonder if it can harm turtles?

Old 05-30-2011, 08:07 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post

Huh? I will look that up.  I am very new to turtles and know next to nothing about them.  I suppose I figured that if they are as old as the dinosaurs...then it would take more than some cat saliva to take them out lol.

It's the bacteria in the saliva, not the saliva itself.

User Tag List