Demodex & immune support - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-05-2011, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

New dog from a rescue group - approximate 3 year old female whippet mix.  Poor dog is so stressed and has been in/out of shelter situations since April, was spayed by one shelter in May so probably had a heat cycle if not a litter recently.  I'm not too worried about demodex in an adult dog due to her current stress level, and know it will take her a while to settle in, but definitely want to start everything I can to support her immune system while she's healing. 

She came out of the rescue group on Kirkland Lamb & Rice.  I've only ever fed premium commercial diets but would like to get her on something better quality.  The thought of a raw diet makes me somewhat ill (I don't eat meat and really really prefer not to prepare it).  Any "close" diets out there that others have been successful with?  And if you're feeding one of those diets, do you supplement with fatty acids?  I'd also like to get her started on a good fatty acid supplement; can I use mine or does she need something "doggy" specific?

She's on ivermectin daily at the moment (I don't have a current weight on her but am fairly certain that the rescue group has her on too low a dose at this point, so we'll have to deal with that when we see our vets on Tuesday).  Anyone know anything about using Revolution instead of oral ivermectin for demodex?  How effective is it? 

Thanks!

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

#2 of 3 Old 06-06-2011, 05:14 PM

Revolution can be used for sarcoptic mange not demodectic mange.

Just going for dinner but wanted to chime in with that

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#3 of 3 Old 06-07-2011, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Revolution isn't labeled for demodex treatment, but it's being used successfully off-label.  Most of the demodex treatments (ivermectin, Interceptor) are off-label uses so nothing surprising about that.

Revolution sounds a lot easier than ivermectin (three treatments over a month, as opposed to daily for 2-3 months in some cases for ivomec).  And if she ends up being chronic demodex, I'd rather be using that than oral ivermectin!  Just would like to know a little bit more about it.

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page