How Long to Train a Puppy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-18-2011, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, all!

We lost our beagle last summer.  We thought we would never get another dog, but here we are seriously considering it.  My FIL is seriously ill, so we know that right now isn't a good time, so we are thinking maybe at the start of next summer.  I am a teacher, so I thought that if we got our puppy right when school let out he/she would be pretty much trained before I went back to work. 

We got our last dog when she was 5 months old, so we never potty trained a puppy.  I should add that I would love to get an older shelter dog instead, but DH is dead-set against it (bad experience from the past), so I've resigned myself to a puppy.

So, how long does it usually take?  I know that every dog is different, but if we were to get a puppy in June would it be trained by the beginning of September?  The puppy wouldn't be alone all day when I went back to work.  I would come home at lunch and also my parents want to "keep an eye on him/her."  (i.e. They want a dog themselves, but not the "hassle" of one!)

Thanks!

#2 of 3 Old 06-18-2011, 06:27 PM

It really depends on the breed, some breeds are notorious not getting it while others are a snap. But regardless it really should not take 3 months. Are you going to paper train for during the day? I've never formally paper trained myself. Although my pug is really good about peeing on paper LOL even paper you don't want pee'd on. 

#3 of 3 Old 06-20-2011, 12:11 AM

Our dogs took about 2 months, but we were working with two at once.  They are now 4 months old and have been trained for over a month now.  My husband and I are both home 24/7, though.  We crate trained, never paper trained. 

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page