Mothering Forum banner

One cat or two? Assuming both are sociable

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  cat13 
#1 ·
We just adopted an adorable kitten from the local cat rescue that was abandoned out of a car :(. Now I'm thinking that maybe 2 kitties would be happier than one having to live alone. We have 3 dogs, but this is our only kitty. He is not quite 3 months old.

Do you think that cats are happier in a home with another cat?

#2 ·
Not necessarily. We've had single cats and pairs, and while they do play together when there is two, they don't seem to be missing out when there is only one. A lot of cats prefer to be loners. We have two right now, a mama and son, and they do play and snuggle sometimes, but 80% of the time ignore each other.

#3 ·
I am cat crazy. We always have 2 cats. They play and keep each other company while we are at work and kids at school.

I think pets are really great for kids. My 11 yo feeds them, takes care of water dish and cleans the litter box. It is great caregiving experience for him

#4 ·
I think it's great to have a pair when they are kittens. It's not that much more work to have 2 than it is to have one. When I brought my two home (brothers, 3 months old), they were BFFs and always played together. Now, they kind of ignore each other but always just "accidentally" happen to be within 10-20 feet of each other.

#5 ·
Well I ended up bringing a little siamese kitten into our family, now I just have to think of a good name for him. He is about the same age as my little rescue kitty who is excited to see another little kitten to play with. The siamese baby is still adjusting to his new home though. They greeted each other friendly enough at least.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.