One cat or two? Assuming both are sociable - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-18-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just adopted an adorable kitten from the local cat rescue that was abandoned out of a car :(. Now I'm thinking that maybe 2 kitties would be happier than one having to live alone. We have 3 dogs, but this is our only kitty. He is not quite 3 months old. 

Do you think that cats are happier in a home with another cat?

#2 of 6 Old 06-18-2011, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Not necessarily.  We've had single cats and pairs, and while they do play together when there is two, they don't seem to be missing out when there is only one.  A lot of cats prefer to be loners.  We have two right now, a mama and son, and they do play and snuggle sometimes, but 80% of the time ignore each other.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#3 of 6 Old 06-18-2011, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am cat crazy. We always have 2 cats. They play and keep each other company while we are at work and kids at school.

I think pets are really great for kids.  My 11 yo feeds them, takes care of water dish and cleans the litter box. It is great caregiving experience for him

#4 of 6 Old 06-20-2011, 05:13 PM

I think it's great to have a pair when they are kittens. It's not that much more work to have 2 than it is to have one. When I brought my two home (brothers, 3 months old), they were BFFs and always played together. Now, they kind of ignore each other but always just "accidentally" happen to be within 10-20 feet of each other.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#5 of 6 Old 06-27-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Well I ended up bringing a little siamese kitten into our family, now I just have to think of a good name for him. He is about the same age as my little rescue kitty who is excited to see another little kitten to play with. The siamese baby is still adjusting to his new home though. They greeted each other friendly enough at least. 

#6 of 6 Old 06-27-2011, 12:43 PM

Yea for kitty BFFs!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page