Need help house training a 12 wk old puppy. He's not getting the message. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2011, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My parents have a 12 wk old puppy named Edison. They have had him since he was 5 weeks. They take him out to potty every hour and he goes, but when he comes inside, he'll go again (usually pee) within minutes. WHAT are they doing wrong?? What should we change? My mom is out of town for the next several days, so the pottying will be left to me & my dad.Id like to have the pup trained by the time my mom gets back.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 06:16 PM

Are they making a huge deal and heavily rewarding when he does go outside?  Are they making sure he is all the way done?  Since he is going soon after coming back in, I would make sure he goes at least twice while he is out.

When he goes...how is he going?  He should be tethered to someone, being directly watched, or crated at all times at this stage so that he cant sneak off and have an accident.

And unrelated a bit, but WOW, 5 weeks!?  That is WAY too young to leave mama and littermates:(

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

Old 06-23-2011, 09:40 PM

What breed is he? Some pups take longer than others. Our 2 were closer to 20 weeks before they were trained, but, they haven't had an accident in months now.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Huge deal & rewarding: I suspect not. Not as much as they should. No treats. My mom has a little dish but forgets. Every time.

He is not tethered. He's free to roam the house. They crate him at night.

5 weeks old: I AGREE! I could not believe the owner let them go that young. I TOLD my parents to wait, but they wouldn't.

He is a yorkie/poodle/pomeranian/shitzu mix.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 06-26-2011, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

He's still pretty young, it will take time and maturity for him to get it.  Just keep at the training.

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif

User Tag List