Need To Get This Out - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-02-2011, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just found out that our dog's littermate was euthanized.  The owners said that he was aggressive with strangers.  He was 10 weeks old!  A puppy!  A baby still!  I just can't wrap my head around this.  The woman who was rehoming the pups made it very clear that if anything went wrong, or we found that we couldn't keep the dogs, they should be returned to her.  She contacted us asking about Faulkner and if he was having aggressive tendencies, and I said no.  Then she told me what happened with this other family.  I am floored.  As far as I know this was not a mandatory euthanasia, as in the dog bit someone and it was ordered to be put down.  My heart breaks for this puppy (and in a admittedly stupid act of anthropomorphism, I am sad for Faulkner because his brother is dead).  To me, this just reeks of a massive owner fail. 

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#2 of 2 Old 07-03-2011, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

How very sad and IMO needless death of a sentient being. I too, just can't see how a 10 week old can be so aggressive that he needed to PTS. Why did the owners, if he was aggressive with strangers (ie fearful of strangers), not work with him on this issue? 

ETA: Having said all that, I think a likely cause of the aggression if it was really, really bad was vaccine damage. I have a copy of an open post from the owner of a GSD puppy, Seren, that had to be PTS because of aggression due to vax. So maybe the cause was the same. Below is the missive which the author has given full permission for this to be posted in the hope it will help others. I realize this will be treated as inflammatory to those that feel pet vaccinations are still of value even though they can cause these effects, but I am just putting this out there as a possibility. I also know of a puppy that had to be PTS because of the neurological effects of distemper, the puppy was UTD on all vaxes including distemper.

Seren’s Story

HI Im Seren and I am a recovering parvo virus victim. I got parvo when I was just 6 weeks and so I have had a bit of a rough time of life but I am now 14 weeks old and things are a lot better. My Boss hopes that one day I will make a SAR dog but we have a few 'issues' to deal with first. We are working on the issues ( Im a terrible biter....I eat stones....AND LOVE ALL POO!! Boss says none of these is good and I have to stop.:( Still, I'll give it a go because it makes her happy! :)

Thank you for your email to Seren and I did do research on what you said and oh how I wish I had found you so much earlier!
Unfortunately we have run into even more drama as from 2.30 yesterday afternoon.
At 6 weeks she had the breeders parvo jab and 3 days later came down with parvo.

At 14 weeks she had the distemper jab and exactly 48 hours later, well, my world fell apart.

Seren went psycho and did not stop biting me constantly oh so hard. At 9.30 this morning I had to take her back to the vet and he has given her (and me) just 24 hours before making the final call on her life. :(
He thinks her mind may have gone....
He gave me some sedatives for her and also some anti spasmodic which is a probotic! (WHY DIDN'T HE GIVE HER THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE AGES AGO?)
I duly gave her the medications and within a short space of time the sedative could be seen to kick in. But the non stop biting continued. But then you could virtually see the Promax kick in and the biting stopped! She has been asleep ever since!
Tonight I will just give the promax and see if the result is the same with the lack of sedative. I do not want to give up on her but at the same time I cant risk having ......
When she is a bit more awake I am going to go see a vet consultant I know of old.....20 years ago he was my vet and I trust him and will see what he thinks. I know he would not give up on an animal unless there was no hope. He is not against alternative measures if they work and I know he will know whether a raw diet will make a difference to her.
Parvaid sounds like it is/was exactly what Seren needs/ needed and I have been trying to contact the British supplier but being a sunday its so far been useless.
I wish there had been more info available about parvo out there...I had been looking for help but in all the wrong places. When i went to the german shepherd forum all I got was abuse and so I just went totally with the vet who seemed to care more than they did!
Bless you for being a rare and beautiful star in mine and Seren's life. (Seren is Welsh for star).
xxxxxx :( :(

:( I didnt give the sedative.....and regretted it. luckily it was me who suffered. When he said it maybe that she has lost her mind I suspected he thought that.
Is there no hope for encephalitis? Can they not recover? Is that why he is talking about putting her down tomorrow? Its just so unfair, she was doing so well.
My poor little baby...what a miserable life she has had.....:(
xxxxx

:( The sedatives did not work for Seren tonight. Her angst was unbearable.....her poo smelt of parvo again......she did not know what to do with herself......she manically chased her tail round and round.........dug half way to australia and threw herself repeatedly at the counter as if to steal invisable food. Nothing would calm her although she tried and she was at risk of injuring herself further.
We are all missing our baby. We are all in a state of shock. It all seems like a bad dream. Seren was so so good up till the weekend. She had learnt sit , down, come, could walk with loose leash, she had learnt to fetch, and was doing really well with 'soft mouth'.
She was an extraordinary runner. A little torpedo in motion! She smiled wagged her tail and was extremely gentle with my 1 year old grandson.
Amazing when you think how ill she was for her short little life.
I decided not to make her endure more pain. I held her in my arms and told her she was the most courageous little star there ever was. I did not lie. I have never seen a pup so ill with anything it was so unfair she had this thrown at her. A second round worse than the first.
xxxxxxxx

Seren means star. A bright light in a dark sky. Her story is a complete tragedy. It must be used to educate people like me. The doubt of the wisdom of injections for her was in me but I let people like the vet and 'my german shepherd forum' guide me. I mention the forum because of the abuse I got there when I was seeking help and experiences from people who have been through the same. They seemed to think that removing the pup from the litter was detrimental to her well being. Better to have left her to die.

I saw a different vet last night. She was from the same practice but it was the original vet who first saw Seren with the parvo. The boss 'David' took over once the initial crisis was over. She was also in tears over Seren and ensured that her final moments were filled with tenderness and love. for Seren and me. I got the feeling she was angry at the boss too. It was the way she hugged me. She wasn’t like that when my 20 year old cat was put to sleep. Just after I signed the paper I said this is all so wrong. she said yes it is.
The facts of the biting: She only ever bit family members and only around certain times such as hunger....before pooing and after pooing. She could use a soft mouth when her tummy wasn’t bad, and the way she was biting always screamed 'do something' (grabbing me and pulling down). She didn’t ever mean to hurt anyone. She loved us all so much. I know that and always did.
If a stranger or a child came into the equation during one of her bouts she greeted them with affection. Although I closely supervised her with my 1 year old grandson she was so tender towards him and restrained herself with impeccable manners.
I tried to contact the groups last night but Seren needed me and my initial introduction was more than 200 words .....in the end Seren was more important.
Any way you know of for Serens story to get out please use it. Everyone who met her fell in love with her...she was a real sweetie and for a fair few the first shepherd they had ever dared to touch.
My sons and I are going to bury her now....under the cherry tree. It is a young tree so will grow for her in the future.
I will be in touch again and again. My daughter needs a positive story. My sons remember Jupiter and Suzi and although Jupiter's life ended unexpectedly and tragically they can recall how it is when it works well.
I wont be walking down the road of immunisation again. When I think of the generations of dogs immunised it seems that is a road that is doomed.
I'm waffling now....emotions are clouded and random.

....I wish our paths crossed 2 months ago...

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page