Rehoming a Dog Advice Needed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-06-2011, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hello,

I don't post here in the pets section much. I have two dogs, a ten year old who I've had since a puppy, L (and pre kids) and her puppy who is almost four, M. In the past month they have gotten in two fights with each other so I am thinking I can not keep them both in my small house with my two children.

The younger one is now living in a crate or the backyard instead of being a part of the family. My older dog, L had puppies when my daughter was two months old and had to have a c-section, the runt would not nurse and I had to hand raise M. This is the one that I kept from the litter. When she was about three weeks old she rejoined the rest of the litter and had gotten along with her mom ever sense the.

I have only witnessed one of the fights they got in starting. They were in the yard playing with a rope toy and puppy jumped on her mom. This is when L turned and bit her and M fought back. Now my old dog L is very bit up and limping badly just like she got her last time they fought. M only has a small cut on her face. II was able to pull them apart alone because when I grabbed M's collar she let go of her mom who ran off. I am so scared that L is going to start a fight with M when I am not there and end up killing her mom.

As far as other dogs are concerned, L has never gotten along with other dogs and could not go to the dog park. M is much more friendly and will play bow with dogs when I walk her instead of growl and bark like L. Both of them are great with kids and other people, the only issue is that L is dog aggressive and is now acting that way with M when they are playing after four years of peace.

I can not have two dogs that fight around my kids it's just not safe. I love my older dog so much and can't imagine life with out her, but she is the one who is starting the fights. I think that M would be easier to find another home for since she is young, healthy and until now got along well with other dogs.

Please help me decide the right thing to do. I am afraid to put an ad on craigslist as I hear of dogs being sold off of there for research or for bait dogs. I am afraid to send her to the pound because they will likely put her to sleep. I've called rescue groups but they all say they only take dogs out of the pound, but cant take all of them.

Thank you for reading this saga, until I come up with the right thing to do poor M is going to be living in the yard/crate instead of under the couch curled up with her mom (below the couch used to be their favorite place to snuggle since there not allowed on the couch)

Thanks again.

be good family...

#2 of 12 Old 07-06-2011, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Could it be (though I know she has a history of grumpiness) that L has gotten arthritis? That these seemingly idle playful bumps could be really hurting her. I don't know what breed they are. My dog hit 13 this month and she just instantly started going def and losing weight and her patience runs a little thin when the cat eats her food or nips at her face trying to get her to play.

Would it be possible for you to take her to the vet and see if there is something that is giving her pain or possibly a drug like rescue remedy that will calm her down. Rescue remedy is just flower essence that people swear by. But a vet could give you something strong like prozac for dogs.

Also perhaps take M for walks and really wear her down or throw the ball for her so she is dependent on play time with a human and not her old mom.

Can they sleep in different rooms? Like L in your room with the door shut so you know where she is?

#3 of 12 Old 07-06-2011, 08:00 AM

I would take the dog in for a thorough exam. Older dogs can get cranky, especially if they are in pain. It really could be a medical problem. I would do that first before even considering any other options. 

Also, just because you see the older dog making the initial attack does not mean she is the one starting it. Since it's happening during play my guess would be that either she is in pain or the other dog is taking the playing to far and she is defending herself. You can tell the younger dog no and to stop playing with her. Your older dog deserves to be respected and be safe from harassment. I sometimes have to do that with my dogs.

dbsam likes this.
#4 of 12 Old 07-06-2011, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

I feel like such a rotten dog mom, I can't afford to take her to the vet, I had to shave, irrigate and pack her holes with antibiotic ointment that is my daughters prescription. I am a single mom and don't get child support so all my money has to go to rent and bills. Aside from shots and flea medicine I really can't afford much for my dogs now a days. L used to have insurance and a Banfield plan but that was a few years ago before I had kids.

I do however have some rescue remedy left over from when I had my baby last fall. I gave her two and an asprin since she  can't have the vicodin that's been sitting in the cabinet since I had my baby. I feel like this is borderline abuse for my poor old dog since I can't afford to take her to the vet and get her real medicine.

As for having them in different rooms, my house is basically a 500 square foot studio, but not an apartment because it is free standing and has a yard. So there are no inside doors, aside from the bathroom, which L is in now so my daughter doesn't hurt her. And M is in the yard playing with the rope toy right now. We take her for two or three short walks a day and toss the kong around for her in the yard anyways. She is just so playful and full of energy that when she sees another dog, even her old mom, she acts like a puppy and tries to romp with them.

I'm thinking I am going to have to give M to another home where she can get more attention and exercise. Like someone who isn't a single mom living in the city! How do I go about finding a dog a decent home? I was thinking of putting a post for her up on craigslist but I've heard a lot about people getting dogs off of there and using them for fighting and since she is a pit mix it makes me even more afraid. Maybe I could make fliers to put up around the neighborhood but I do live in a bad neighborhood so I'm not sure if that would work to get a better home for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlie View Post

Could it be (though I know she has a history of grumpiness) that L has gotten arthritis? That these seemingly idle playful bumps could be really hurting her. I don't know what breed they are. My dog hit 13 this month and she just instantly started going def and losing weight and her patience runs a little thin when the cat eats her food or nips at her face trying to get her to play.

Would it be possible for you to take her to the vet and see if there is something that is giving her pain or possibly a drug like rescue remedy that will calm her down. Rescue remedy is just flower essence that people swear by. But a vet could give you something strong like prozac for dogs.

Also perhaps take M for walks and really wear her down or throw the ball for her so she is dependent on play time with a human and not her old mom.

Can they sleep in different rooms? Like L in your room with the door shut so you know where she is?

be good family...

#5 of 12 Old 07-07-2011, 03:04 PM

I would definitely take them to the Humane Society to be medically cared for and rehomed.  Your situation (no money to care for them, poor living situation for them) is exactly what the Humane Society is there for.    Good luck to you!

#6 of 12 Old 07-07-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigellas View Post

I would definitely take them to the Humane Society to be medically cared for and rehomed.  Your situation (no money to care for them, poor living situation for them) is exactly what the Humane Society is there for.    Good luck to you!

I would take M to the humane society except I am afraid they would have her put to sleep because of her being a pit mix. M has totally healed from the nips her mom left on her. And her mom, L is doing much better and only has one would that isn't healed yet, but looks awful because I shaved her neck looking for wounds so there wouldn't be any missed ones to get infected. Does the humane society not put dogs to sleep? I thought that they did but maybe I'm thinking of Animal Control instead. I have been researching some other websites with pet ads on them and am thinking of putting M on petfinder. Does anyone have experience with that site?

be good family...

#7 of 12 Old 07-08-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Does the humane society not put dogs to sleep?

Most of them are independant from each other so they all have their own policies.  You could call and ask.  :)

#8 of 12 Old 07-08-2011, 12:37 PM

humane society is a bad idea because 1. yes they will put a dog down that has any history of biting and isn't adopted in a few days. You could look for a no kill shelter but they are usually packed especially now that its breeding season.  and 2. they charge. Anywhere between $25-$100 and if she had that much money she could afford a vet visit for $35 (of course lord knows what add ons the vet would put on)

Many pets thrive on rescue remedy. Nothing wrong with that. And cleaning the wounds and putting neosporin on is good treatment.

That's a really tough decision to be in. :( If you rehome her always ask for a fee and I would just say mixed breed and leave the pitt part out and you can even go and inspect their home or have a no cruelty contract they have to sign. Perhaps it's not enforcable but at least guilt trip them into following it

#9 of 12 Old 07-08-2011, 01:36 PM

Rehoming a known aggressive dog is a HUGE liability.  In the future if that dog ends up biting someone, heaven forbid a child, they could turn around and sue you. 

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

#10 of 12 Old 07-08-2011, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the good advice. The dog I am rehoming, M is not aggressive. Her mom L attacked her and she was defending herself. I agree the humane society is a bad idea because of my dogs breed.  I am trying to find her a home as an only dog so she can get the attention she deserves.

I can afford the vet fee of $35 but I can not afford the $500 they charged last time I brough L in for lacerations! When this happened before L had two sets of stitches and a drain tube to keep the would open and clean. I have been keeping the would open and clean and it is healing nicely and I've noticed her being a bit more mellow in general with the rescue remedy and plan to continue giving it to L even after she heals.

I will take you up on the idea of advertising her as a mix but not a pitt mix because of the bad reputation the breed has. I don't have a car so inspecting a home will be difficult unless it is near by. And I love the idea of having them sign a contract even if it is only for their conscious. I've spoken to a couple of people via email so far and am hoping to find her the perfect home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlie View Post

humane society is a bad idea because 1. yes they will put a dog down that has any history of biting and isn't adopted in a few days. You could look for a no kill shelter but they are usually packed especially now that its breeding season.  and 2. they charge. Anywhere between $25-$100 and if she had that much money she could afford a vet visit for $35 (of course lord knows what add ons the vet would put on)

Many pets thrive on rescue remedy. Nothing wrong with that. And cleaning the wounds and putting neosporin on is good treatment.

That's a really tough decision to be in. :( If you rehome her always ask for a fee and I would just say mixed breed and leave the pitt part out and you can even go and inspect their home or have a no cruelty contract they have to sign. Perhaps it's not enforcable but at least guilt trip them into following it

be good family...

#11 of 12 Old 07-08-2011, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

So does that mean I can sue the person I bought L from for her vet bills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonMama View Post

Rehoming a known aggressive dog is a HUGE liability.  In the future if that dog ends up biting someone, heaven forbid a child, they could turn around and sue you. 

be good family...

#12 of 12 Old 07-08-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:

That may be true of your local Humane Society, but as I stated before, they all have their own policies.  We have 3 within an hours drive from us, and all of them do adopt pit and pit mixes.  The one I worked at did not charge a fee to turn over your pet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page