How long do kittens nurse for? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-09-2011, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've never had newborn kittens before.I'm just curious what others experiences are.I looked online and it said 5 weeks or so.My little ones are 12 weeks and still nursing about twice a day,and bugging their mama more than that lol.Nessie,the mama,doesn't seem to have a problem with it.The babies are eating regular food and using the litter box and everything,and they all seem perfectly healthy.I'm glad she is so close with her babies.We're keeping them so they'll be with her hopefully for a very long time.I couldn't picture giving them up,they are so sweet.I'm sure when Nessie is ready she will wean them,I'm just wondering if this is unusual.Thanks!

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#2 of 9 Old 07-09-2011, 10:13 PM

Had to reply to this, because I just had a discussion with my mom about this, as I was thinking kittens naturally weaned around 6 weeks.  Isn't that what you always hear?  But my mom reminded me that our cat growing up, a stray who found us while pregnant, had just one kitten and that kitten nursed until we re-homed her....at around 8 MONTHS.  Who knew some cats practice clw--or i guess klw? winky.gif

Brackin, mom to DD (10/02), DS (5/06) and DS (12/09) jumpers.gif
#3 of 9 Old 07-09-2011, 11:08 PM

i have to reply to this as well. we recently took in 2 kittens from a litter down the road. when we got them, the kittens were about 10 weeks old. they both nursed their mother (for the last time) right before we took them home.

a couple days later, and to this day -- a month later, they continue to nurse from our MALE GOLDEN RETRIEVER. i'm talking, attached to something down there (boy dog nipple?), pushing with their little kitten paws and sucking with their mouths. i took a picture.

#4 of 9 Old 07-09-2011, 11:10 PM

usually mom will wean them when she is ready. It's safe around 6-8 weeks.  Only nursing a couple times a day sounds like "comfort" nursing IMO.  

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#5 of 9 Old 07-11-2011, 12:41 PM

My mom's small petite tabby got pregnant by what must have been a maine coon.  When the kittens were 8 weeks old, I took her in and got her spayed.  The kittens continued to nurse until they were at least 3 months.  It was really funny to watch because these were BIG cats.  They were the same size as her at that age.

~Dawn

Blah blah blah
#6 of 9 Old 07-11-2011, 04:13 PM

We found a mother cat and 5 kittens.  We gave away 4 of the kittens when they were 8 or so weeks old.  We kept the mother and one kitten.   She nursed until she was well over 6 months.   I don't remember exactly, but I think she stopped before she was a year.  By the end, the baby was pretty much the same size as the mother.

#7 of 9 Old 07-12-2011, 07:12 AM

If left to their own devices, kittens will nurse for months, sort of like many human children will nurse for years if allowed.  Many mammals practice EBF, so to speak.  :)

We once picked up a stray with several kittens.  We gave most away by the time they were 10 weeks old, but kept one kitten and the mother for ourselves.  That kitten nursed for about 16 weeks or so.  He ate solid foods and only nursed for short periods at a time as his mother allowed.  She pushed him away (or would get up and walk off) when she didn't want him to nurse, so she did actively wean him.  We just didn't interfere with the natural process.

The real reason kittens nurse only for 6-8 weeks is because of human intervention.  Since they are capable of eating solid food, people go ahead and remove them from their mothers to place them in homes.  But 6 weeks is still a bit young - even the Humane Society won't place kittens until at least 8 weeks old.

#8 of 9 Old 07-12-2011, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My cat nursed her kittens until we sent them to new homes at 12 weeks, and she nursed the kitten we kept until 5 months! I was really surprised because I thought the kittens would be weaned when they were eating solid food... I'm glad cats are such good mothers!

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#9 of 9 Old 07-20-2011, 09:23 PM

As a teen I had a mama cat and her 2 kittens. One kitten weaned at about 3 months old. The other was still nursing 2 years later. No idea if mama still had milk after being spayed but it was just adorable to see that big boy nursing on his petite mama. Mama would knead the air and pur loudly as he nursed!

rebecca_n likes this.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page