Dog is sneaking into my bed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-13-2011, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So our dog used to sneak into my kids beds whenever I wasn't looking.  I moved the girls' beds into our room for other reasons, and he stopped, but just this week he started again.  I walked into my room today and it was obvious by the huge amounts of black dog hair he had been in MY bed.  This is SO not okay, and it's not like I can just keep the door shut because the kids are in and out of the room all day.

He doesn't have an actual dog bed because he chewed his to smithereens.  Since then I made him a makeshift bed out of two pillows, but he's a decently sized dog, it's pretty small for him.

If I get him a big cushy dog bed do you think he will stop sneaking into our beds?  I don't know what else to do.  I used to catch him in the act and squirt him with water, but now he manages to do it when I can't see.

Between the stealing food off the table, and the sneaking into my bed he is SO not on my good list.

Oh yeah, he's a three year old black lab mix. : )

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#2 of 6 Old 07-14-2011, 05:05 AM

There's a blanket you can buy that looks like it's made out of a silver foil that supposedly deters animals from sleeping on it. You could try that. My dog sleeps on the couch when I'm gone and immediately gets off when I get home. I've never scolded her to my recollections but she still sneaks it. I think she's too old to get on my bed anymore. She would lay in DH's spot when he wasn't home which was endeering to me.

http://www.petco.com/product/111368/PetzOff-Furniture-Deterrent-Blanket-for-Pets.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

I'm not sure the science behind it but it's possible you could just buy an emergency blanket (they're aluminum like also) for $1-$3. I had a cat who pottied behind the couch and I  bought a couple of the emergency blankets and fluffed them all up and shoved them behind the couch. I figured a cat wouldn't want to poo on something noisy and all fluffed up for that matter

#3 of 6 Old 07-14-2011, 07:20 AM

He obviously doesnt know he is not supposed to be up there.  So while training him not to get up you need to restrict his access to it.  Teach him "off" and use it whenever he even starts to get up.  Lure him away with food and make a big huge deal about how awesome he is to NOT be on the bed...give him lots of attention but make sure it doesnt start becoming a if I get on the bed than I get attention for getting off;)  Yes, make him his own bed to lay on and make it a very rewarding place for him to go.  I would randomly drop treats on it for him to find, whenever you see him laying on it, toss a treat to him etc.  The idea is to get him to associate his bed with all kinds of good stuff.

Sneaking food off the table is really the same...you have to restrict access.  Then you can start teaching leave it for when you are there or I like this for when you are not (though honestly I just restrict my kitchen, too much temptation for my big dogs) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZCIeEUm_n8

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#4 of 6 Old 07-14-2011, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

He does know he is not supposed to be on the beds, I never catch him in the act anymore, he just leaves tell tale shedding behind, or I hear him getting off as I walk down the hall. 

That video was REALLY helpful.  

He knows to sit on his bed (which is too small) when I say "Bed" but he sees it as a punishment, except at bedtime when we all go lay down he will lay there without prompting.

Any suggestions on treats?  He won't eat hot dogs, or dog treats.  I do verbally praise him, but he kind of goes ballistic with excitement when I do.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

#5 of 6 Old 07-14-2011, 11:28 AM

I don't have a lot of advise, but I think I have his sister. My lab waits until we walk out the door of house and she jumps on our bed. She doesn't do it when we're home though. When we leave I close our gate to the bedrooms. She doesn't do it when the kids are upstairs either. I'm betting your dog doesn't either. If he does though it's a great opportunity for the kids to grab a treat and make him get off. They say his off command and toss the treat on the floor. He jumps off to get it. It's a positive lesson in listening to the kids then too.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#6 of 6 Old 07-18-2011, 03:42 PM

Well. I will still say he doesnt know he is not supposed to be on the bed...he is on it;)  He does understand that if you are there he is not supposed to be on it.  Dogs do not generalize well so to him it is probably totally different.  You will have to restrict access and keep him off when you cant watch him for him to learn to stay off regardless of whether or not you are in the room

Treats, have you tried cheese?  cooked cubes of chicken or beef? cheerios?  Basically find something that he really likes.  

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page