Homes with multiple animals: How often do you change your air filter? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-23-2011, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For those of you with furry animals whose homes have central air -- how often do you change your filter?  Also, please share how often you use your central air (since that would be relevant to the frequency of filter changes).  Thanks!

#2 of 4 Old 07-25-2011, 08:44 AM

My dh seemed to change the filter about every other week or so...there wasn't hair in it, though. We used the central air full-blast from about May-September LOL In July/August it tended to never even turn off.  I have 3 labs. We have a 2 story so there was a filter on both floors. Our central air went out last summer and we're using window units(which is actually cheaper on our energy bill than the central air was!) but that's how it had been each summer until then.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#3 of 4 Old 07-25-2011, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Good to know - thanks for your response.  We have a german shepherd (super high shedders) and two medium-hair cats and live in the desert where there is constantly sand blowing around in the wind, plus we need to use our AC non-stop throughout the 110 degree summers.  I'm finding that I need to change the filter pretty often - like about once per week - and I wonder how that compares to other people's situations.  I guess that's not too much different than what you guys did (with the every-other-week routine).  I sure feel like I'm changing it a lot!

#4 of 4 Old 07-25-2011, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
When we lived in NC and had central air, I changed it monthly with 4 cats and a big lab mix. It was never too clogged.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page