Question: Adopted Adult Male 2yr old Shih Tzu separation anxiety cure needed - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 8 Old 07-26-2011, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
 
MaxsOwner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Max  came to live with me and my college age granddaughter 2 weeks ago. My granddaughter goes to school full time, works 20-30 hrs a week, and takes him out whenever she is home, which is seldom.  So the task of caring for Max belongs to me.  He is the most loving dog ever, and he has had some training from someone in the past.  We are very pleased with him, but he consumes all of my time because I can't leave him alone.  He barks constantly.  We live in a condo with very thin walls, and one neighbor has complained all ready, and I don't blame him. He sleeps alone in his bed at night with no problem. He does everything right, except his staying alone so that I can have a social life, and just live my life while he lives his.  I am thinking having Max live with us is a mistake, that he belongs with someone who can spend the time with him that he deserves.  What do I do? 

MaxsOwner is offline  
#2 of 8 Old 07-28-2011, 07:02 AM
 
lonegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto and Sault Ste Marie
Posts: 1,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Separation Anxiety takes a lot of patience and time to work with.

Here are a few tips from an amazing dog training company.  They are not affiliated with the hospital I work at but they are our number 1 recommendation to people. http://www.barkbusters.ca/advice/separation-anxiety


PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
lonegirl is offline  
#3 of 8 Old 08-22-2011, 07:06 PM
 
kayleesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 1,214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

good luck my dog has had seperation anxiety since a puppy we use a bark collar on her and crate her when we are gone.she knows that when collar is one she will get a shock if she barks so she is quiet. but has to be crated or she will poop/pee on floor when we leave.

 

 

good luck.

 


Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

kayleesmom is offline  
#4 of 8 Old 08-23-2011, 07:43 PM
 
starrlamia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


No offense but that is a terrible solution. Taking a fearful dog (it is a fearful behaviour) and zapping it when it is afraid is not fixing anything, the poor dog probably has so much anxiety and barking is just a symptom of it. I also wouldnt recommend bark busters.

 

These 2 books are really good:

http://www.amazon.ca/Cautious-Canine-Conquer-Their-Fears/dp/1891767003/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314153708&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.ca/Ill-Be-Home-Soon-Separation/dp/1891767054/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1314153708&sr=8-3

 

This may help:

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/3291

 

If you tell me where you are located I can find a certified animal behaviourist to help you out, however they can be costly.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleesmom View Post

good luck my dog has had seperation anxiety since a puppy we use a bark collar on her and crate her when we are gone.she knows that when collar is one she will get a shock if she barks so she is quiet. but has to be crated or she will poop/pee on floor when we leave.

 

 

good luck.

 



 


Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
starrlamia is offline  
#5 of 8 Old 08-24-2011, 05:12 AM
 
lonegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto and Sault Ste Marie
Posts: 1,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post


No offense but that is a terrible solution. Taking a fearful dog (it is a fearful behaviour) and zapping it when it is afraid is not fixing anything, the poor dog probably has so much anxiety and barking is just a symptom of it. I also wouldnt recommend bark busters.

 

These 2 books are really good:

http://www.amazon.ca/Cautious-Canine-Conquer-Their-Fears/dp/1891767003/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314153708&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.ca/Ill-Be-Home-Soon-Separation/dp/1891767054/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1314153708&sr=8-3

 

This may help:

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/3291

 

If you tell me where you are located I can find a certified animal behaviourist to help you out, however they can be costly.
 



 

Why wouldn't you recommend Bark Busters.  They are amazing.  They did a class for us at work (veterinary hospital) and showed us results in 15minutes (not sep anx but another issue).  They were gentle but in charge. 

 

 


PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
lonegirl is offline  
#6 of 8 Old 08-24-2011, 09:51 AM
 
starrlamia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Bark busters are trainers and not behaviourists, 23 day course to become one of their trainers IMO is not nearly enough to handle any dog with issues, basic training im sure they are fine at even thoughtheir website is extremely vague, and using praise as the only motivator isnt the best method, their "case studies" are not exactly solid science either.

Dogs with issues need a certified behaviourist, these are people who have gone to university and done extensive studying in animal behaviour. They are very well equiped to handle issues dogs have. It's kind of like taking your child with behavioural issues to someone who isnt a psychologist, but they read a couple books and took a month long course!

 

OP a couple of other books to recommend, but a behaviourist would be ideal

http://www.amazon.ca/Separation-Distress-Dogs-James-OHeare/dp/0973836954/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314204629&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.ca/Dont-Leave-Step---Step-Seperation/dp/0981722733/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314204675&sr=1-8
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegirl View Post



 

Why wouldn't you recommend Bark Busters.  They are amazing.  They did a class for us at work (veterinary hospital) and showed us results in 15minutes (not sep anx but another issue).  They were gentle but in charge. 

 

 



 


Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
starrlamia is offline  
#7 of 8 Old 08-24-2011, 07:26 PM
 
lonegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto and Sault Ste Marie
Posts: 1,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For cost effectiveness....the vets I work with recommend a trainer first then if that fails a behaviourist is recommended.  It is very, very expensive to get a specialist and often working with a trainer is all that is needed.  Separation anxiety can be treated without the use of a behaviourist.  It requires patience and consistency on the owner's behalf.


PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
lonegirl is offline  
#8 of 8 Old 08-24-2011, 08:10 PM
 
starrlamia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

TBH i wouldnt trust most trainers for something like this, this isnt a training issue, it's a behaviour problem. Vets arent exactly specialists in behaviour either (unless they are a veterinary behaviourist), for the price of a trainer to come out and work with you, you might as well spend the money on a behaviourist and have it done properly and humanely. Behaviourist will run you around 500 dollars, for unlimited support and well educated help (from what i hear bark busters is around the same price). Alot of trainers dont have a whole lot of education to be trainers, barkbusters as an example, less then a month of schooling and learning is not enough to treat serious behavioural issues.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegirl View Post

For cost effectiveness....the vets I work with recommend a trainer first then if that fails a behaviourist is recommended.  It is very, very expensive to get a specialist and often working with a trainer is all that is needed.  Separation anxiety can be treated without the use of a behaviourist.  It requires patience and consistency on the owner's behalf.



 


Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
starrlamia is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off