parrots, anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-03-2011, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious as whether anyone else out there has parrot(s) and babe(s).  There's always so much info on dogs and cats, but little for our feathered family members.  I've had my DB for over 12 years now (got him as a tiny, naked chick) and DS has just turned one and is starting to try to pull up on the bird's playgyms--yikes!  Also, they unfortunately have the same taste in toys, and while no one has been nipped so far, I am sure the day is not far off.  I want my children to love birds and not be afraid of them, and it's a delicate balance.  Advice?

#2 of 2 Old 08-04-2011, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a peach-faced lovebird, acquired as free to a good home... six years ago, and DS is almost 2. DS has definitely been bitten on the finger/ head/ feet when I have both of them crawling on me at once, but he's still interested in the bird, and enjoys watching him and watching me play with him, just doesn't try to touch him. They seem to have reached some kind of accord. DS does bother the birdcage, whacking it with various objects, and peeking under the cover in the morning, but I feel that's part of the arrangement. It was to my advantage that a lovebird is still fairly small, so can't snap off a finger or anything. Really, my biggest conflict with the bird is that he's so loud, so I have to move the cage outside for naptime, or stick him downstairs in the travel cage, then I forget he's there, then he gets crazy, etc. The dog is a much bigger PITA, behavior/ interactions-wise. They're both pains, not gonna lie. The pets, that is! But still, we keep them... some days, just because it would also be a pain to get rid of them!

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart - Confucius

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page