HELP! Sick dog - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-03-2011, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

He is a lab mix, four years old, normally very healthy. I took him to the vet because he was vomiting, having bad diarrea (sp) and not eating (though still drinking). And then I found one of his floppy ears was slightly swollen (the floppy part).

They said they have no idea what the diarrea/vomiting is about and just wanted to put him on anti-vomiting and anti-diarrea meds. They also said that he has an ear hematoma (very minor at this point) and that it is in no way connected to the other issue and they want to do a procedure for it that costs almost $1,000. They  have no idea what causes it and there is no other way to solve them, even though they could barely tell it was there and I found it so early it is not even hurting him at all yet. They put him on antibiotics too.

Can anyone help shed some light on these issues for me? We went camping a week ago (I told them this) but nothing happened, he was on advantage, I haven't found any ticks on him or anything). I did catch him a couple days back eating a peice of cat poop out of the litter box (yuck!) but he has done that once or twice before in the past and suffered no ill effects. Everything else has been normal. Today though he's more listless and not wanting to drink water, but hasn't thrown up at all since yesterday afternoon.

I woud appreciate any information or help you can give me. Thanks!

#2 of 10 Old 08-03-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

I did find a web page of natural remedies for the ear. I am already doing some of those. It was really helpful and I'd post it here if I could (is it this website in particular that won't allow links to be posted or is my computer just not working right?).

I just wated to add that the diarrea was eventually liquid. :(

#3 of 10 Old 08-03-2011, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it's been only a few hours but he's still drinking water, hasn't had any more diarrhea and has more energy. I'm still concerned about both issues though and would appreciate any feedback.

#4 of 10 Old 08-03-2011, 02:04 PM

I don't have any specific medical advice, but if you are really worried, you might want to get a second opinion from another vet. Ask ahead of time if you should bring in a stool sample. He could have drank some bad water or eaten something rotten, and just needs to get it out of his system.

Have you tried getting him to eat something really tasty/smelly like chicken, peanut butter, sardines or something he really likes?

I really hope he gets better.  In my house, pets are family too! Keep us posted.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#5 of 10 Old 08-03-2011, 03:05 PM

Did your vet do Any testing: stool, blood, etc? If not you might want to seek out a new vet! If you went camping it is possible your dog might have picked up giardia.
#6 of 10 Old 08-03-2011, 07:33 PM

Get a second opinion. 

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#7 of 10 Old 08-04-2011, 12:09 AM

If he's already picking back up I'd say he ate something bad or rolled in something that didn't agree with him. you can de-worm him (safe-guard is the best). As long as he's drinking he's doing good. Did you change his food? Did his food formula change (they don't have to say until a year after the fact). My dog use to eat Nutro. after 10 years on it she started vomiting. They changed the formula to something she didn't like and any other food she did well on.

It does seem strange he didn't do any tests. stool for worms, or swabs for PCR tests. Was he with other dogs? Could he have picked up a virus?

At the very least deworm him keep him on the antibiotics and if he's not better get to a new vet

#8 of 10 Old 08-04-2011, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. No the vet did not do any tests at all. My dog will eat anything and then wouldn't eat anything. I haven't changed his diet or anything like that. I'm going to look up giardia and see if that seems to be it. I think you all are right -- I'm never going back to that vet! 

#9 of 10 Old 08-10-2011, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to update you guys and let you know that he is doing much, much better. He ended up with his other ear having major issues too and he had some weird swelling of his face. I healed him using all natural, herbal home remedies that I would use on a human (because most of the time, they use the same drugs we do) and it worked so much better than all that other crap they wanted to give him that would have cost me well over a thousand dollars (maybe two since his other ear go it. So, I am really glad and relieved. I have my dog back. It was a lot of intensive work though. In case anyone else has their dog devlop an ear hematoma, I wanted to post that it is possible to resolve it naturally at home. Thanks again for your input. It helped with my decision to trust my intincts instead of that vet.

#10 of 10 Old 08-10-2011, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the typos. My computer is screwy. :/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page