Peeing Cat - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-26-2011, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 13 yr old indoor female calico who is peeing all over.  This has been an issue on and off over the years.  Usually it means her litter box is "too dirty" for her or she has a UTI.  This summer the peeing has escalated.  She was diagnosed with a UTI, is on clavamox, a steroid for a couple of days, glucosemine to help strengthen her bladder, we went all wet food with no grain, two litter boxes and a cat pheramone plug in.   Vet did a bunch of tests and ruled out diabetes etc.  

We have another male cat who is 10 and scared of his own shadow.  We also have a dog who is totally not interested in the cats.  Nothing has changed. 

On the other hand I have a DH who is about to loose it.  He is a total animal lover but after the destruction of 3 pairs of shoes in a week, not to mention all the furniture and rugs over the years and of course the peeing in the middle of the dining room table, he is ready to put her down.  Well he says he is but I know he is willing to try just about anything I come up with first.  

Thanks for any ideas!

#2 of 4 Old 08-26-2011, 09:09 AM

what kind of boxes and how many do you have? She probably associates them with pain so you may think about changing the type of box you have. If you have a lidded box get rid of the lid. Make sure you have at least 3 boxes in the house and that you scoop them everyday if not twice a day. If you can get it, find cat attract litter. It is pricey ($12 for a bag big enough for one box) but it does work!! plus it is the best clumping litter i have come across so it can last quite a while if you scoop regularily. Cat attract helped with my kitty. If these things dont help, think about picking a room and closing her in it with her food, water and litter until she is 100% using that box, then allow her in another room, and another etc etc.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#3 of 4 Old 09-02-2011, 07:17 AM

We operate under the one box per cat + one extra method. 

Are you keeping the boxes clean?  Like scooping every day?  Some may say there is such a thing as a too clean box but in my opinion, scoopable litter retains enough of the scent (as does the box) to let kitty know that it is "her" box.

Can she get in and out of the box ok?  Is the box in a place where she feels comfortable and safe?

I can understand the frustration.  We had a 16 yo with diabetes and kidney failure and it was very, very trying.  In our situation, she peed in the general area of the box so it was easier to deal with. 

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#4 of 4 Old 09-02-2011, 07:44 PM

My aging female cat (17!!  When did that happen?!) has decided recently that within sight of the litterbox is just as good as IN the box.  I'm not enthused.  

We had been using a covered litter box, but ditched the lid and she got better about it.  It is a guarantee however, that if the box is not perfectly clean she will find somewhere else to go.  She's lucky she's cute- it makes her bad habits more tolerable. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page