Getting a DOG, now adopt or buy? puppy or YA? schnauzer, cocker spaniel,.....? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 10-03-2011, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

A reputable breeder selling a puppy to a pet home will insist that the animal be spayed or neutered. I agree that this co-ownership thing is a giant red flag.

Lots of breeders co-own dogs with other breeders, but that's not your situation at all. I would not only pass on the co-ownership idea, but look for another breeder.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#32 of 37 Old 10-03-2011, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Honestly, with young children- I would recommend a puppy, especially one where the parents have been temperament tested. Even adopting a puppy from the shelter, you can get a good early start on training and socialization, but you can't change genetics. I am all for adoption and rescuing, but I also know how important temperament can be when it comes to children. If you do want to adopt, I would recommend going to a rescue, and finding a dog who is still young (under 8-9 months), who is in a foster home, has been around children, and is properly socialized.

My advice would be to first figure out which breed you would like- you said under 50 pounds which gives you quite a bit of wiggle room. Schnauzers are very smart dogs- they're terriers. Like any terrier, they're going to be very energetic (maybe even hyper), stubborn, mischievous, and clever. Also, as a dog groomer, let me tell you- if they don't like something, they'll let you know, and usually they let you know with their strong, sharp teeth. I have a couple of mini schnauzers I groom who nipped their families as puppies and didn't stop as they got older. A big part of that is proper training and redirecting, though.

I personally wouldn't have a cocker because of the health problems, but I do think they're a better match for children than a terrier. Other recommendations: Brittany spaniels (they can be pretty energetic, too, but if you have a yard and three kids that should keep a dog pretty busy), King Charles Cavalier Spaniels (very sweet and gentle), pugs (great family dogs), poodles (very intelligent, although the small ones can tend towards being aloof and nervous, and may nip even at their family if they get taken by surprise).

Good luck!

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#33 of 37 Old 10-09-2011, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Maybe you could go middle of the road.  I adopted my dog from the humane society.  Her mom came in as a pregnant stray.  Sophie was put into foster care and raised her puppies until they were put up for adoption at 8 weeks.  We got the pick of the litter.  So adopted a stray, got a new puppy, met the mom (who was so amazing that i decided I wanted her rather than one of her puppies but she was taken by a staff member).  Although if I had it to do again I would get an adult dog.  Puppies are cute but they are terrors.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#34 of 37 Old 11-01-2011, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Alright if anyone is even still following this we got our puppy!! Sorry so late on responding with Homeschooling and puppy life got busy fast! We went with a Mini Schnauzer who is now 10 weeks (had him two weeks and a couople days) His name is Hedley he was raised around a 10 month old and 10 year old, we were able to meet both parents and we Fully own him. He is not papered which makes no difference to us and his temperment and personality are wonderful. We decided to go with his breed after meeting a ton of different dogs we felt a schnauzer would be a better fit for our family. We are now looking around our area for some puppy classes where our older children can participate in. I was nervous about the work and our childrens ages but so far it has been great.

Thank you all so much for your time and opinions, I definately heeded your warnings and am very happy with our decision on our little guy (and on not co owning)

Will post some pics soon!

sahm to 3 married todh_malesling.GIF 8yrs   waterbirth.jpg treehugger.gif homeschool.giffamilybed1.gifteapot2.GIFgoorganic.jpgsewmachine.gifwinner.jpgnamaste.gif

#35 of 37 Old 11-01-2011, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

vtechmom - holy AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! love.gif Swissies are SUCH adorable puppies!

Grats on your new addition, OP! =)

Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
#36 of 37 Old 11-02-2011, 10:06 PM

congrats on your new little guy!  I love schnauzers.  It is true that some of them have the crazy in them but they are terriers after all.  One thing I would reccomend (and I pretty much have to since I am a dog groomer) is to get him used to grooming early.  Like someone else mentioned they aren't reluctant to tell someone they don't like something being done to them.  Getting them groomed at an early age and regularly will really help them with that and teach them that things being done to them is normal like brushing and getting their nails done. 

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#37 of 37 Old 11-17-2011, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

P1010029.JPGP1010031.JPGThanks guys!

He is great and we have already had him to the groomer and vet of course. He is potty trained and learning so quick. We are all enjoying him and trying not to spoil him too much. He loves to play fetch and listens to the children just as well as us. So Thanks again for all of your advice it was so helpful and I am glad we did so much research, Hedley is a perfect fit for our family.

sahm to 3 married todh_malesling.GIF 8yrs   waterbirth.jpg treehugger.gif homeschool.giffamilybed1.gifteapot2.GIFgoorganic.jpgsewmachine.gifwinner.jpgnamaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page