I think my mama cat is pregnant again.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-20-2011, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My cat,Nessie,just had 2 kittens 6 months ago.I planned to have her spayed at the clinic in November,as I'm expecting some extra money,and after paying off my bills I would have just enough to spay her,and have the babies neutered.But she escaped a few times(thanks to the kids not shutting the door all the way),all my cats are indoor only, and now she's getting chubby again.Is there an easy way to tell?I didn't realize she was pregnant last time until a few days before the babies were born.I don't have the money to go to the vet and have her xrayed,and I don't want to expose her or the babies to that if I can help it.The clinic offered to spay her anyway,but I just can't do that since if she is pregnant it would kill the babies.I noticed now that she is hissing and growling at her kittens when they come near her,so I'm wondering if that is a sign that she is expecting.She's still very lovable to me and the kids,and purrs like crazy when I pet or hold her,but she doesn't want any other cats,even her own kittens,near her.I don't need any more kitties!6 is plenty,but I know if I see these born like I did with Sabbath(Tre was already born when I woke up to find a tiny grey kitten on my bed,between my legs!Sabbath was born a little while later),I won't be able to give them up.They're like my furry grandchildren lol.If she is pregnant,I'm guessing I can't have her spayed in November as she'll be nursing(Sabbath and Tre nursed until they were about 4 months old).I'm thinking it's the same father,as when she has escaped we usually saw her with a big orange cat who roams the neighborhood that we named Garfield.This is so not what I need right now.

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#2 of 4 Old 10-20-2011, 05:40 PM

spay/abort is your best option, think of it as a pre-emptive way of sparing those kittens from future euthanasia if they dont find good homes.

This is the exact reason why there are so many cats in the world and why so many die everyday.

Here are a few low cost spay/neuter clinics in RI

Spay/neuter assistance program
R.I. Veterinary Medical Association
877-521-0103

For pets of people with low income in Rhode Island and nearby Massachusetts. Go to their web site www.rivma.org to print the application, which must be sent to them by U.S. Mail.

Volunteer Services for Animals
Providence, RI
401-433-1946

Very low cost programs for: pets of people with low income and feral cats.

Defenders of Animals
PO Box 5634
Weybosset Hill Station
Providence, RI 02903
401-738-3710

Email: dennis@defendersofanimals.org
www.defendersofanimals.org Statewide low cost spay/neuter program.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#3 of 4 Old 10-20-2011, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The responsible thing to do is to have her spayed. 

#4 of 4 Old 10-21-2011, 02:48 PM

If her kittens are 6 months old....she didn't have to go outside to become pregnant again....are they both male or one of each?

Look for swollen teats, hairloss around them. 

If you don't want to abort you better get her spayed asap after the litter is born.  Go to a spay neuter clinic if you can't afford all  that is involved in going to a veterinary hospital.  Then adopt out the new kittens once weaned....or you will be over-run with cats that you can't afford to neuter.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page