curing Doggie Ear Yeast Infections naturally - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-04-2011, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have a two year old cocker/ standard poodle mix with reoccuring yeast infections in her ears. The vet has given us otibiotic several times, but this time we just cant get rid of it. The vet wants to do expensive allergy testing and shots, which I would like to avoid. Her skin is fine, it is only her ears.

The dog is on grain free food,now switching her to one without beef or chicken in addition to grain free, started adding goat milk to her food for probiotic. She gets a supplement every day with prebiotic and enzymes for her gut too.

I have read stuff about cleaning ears with vinegar etc but I want some of the wisdom from someone who has actually tried this! Any input would be helpful.

#2 of 3 Old 11-06-2011, 07:02 AM

Hi, it is probably allergies, but not necessarily food. I always had my dog to the vet with skin infections, ear infections and horrible, horrible scratching. His ears were swollen plus/plus. I finally took him to a veterinary dermatologist. He is on regular food. I did cook his food for a long time, but we both got tired of it. My dog couldn't tolerate the large amount of rice he needed for the carbohydrate so he always got potatoes. The protein was whatever meat I could find cheap/leftover but he got alot of tuna. 275 gram of protein and 660 gram of carbohydrates a day for a 70 pound dog.It didn't seem to improve anything anyway.  I give him allergy serum injections every 2 1/2 weeks. He also has to take Vanectyl-P which is a low dose of anitihistamine/prednisone. Because of that he has to have a bunch of bloodwork every year because it can be hard on the liver. He was in such bad shape that I would have had to put him down if I couldn't afford the treatment because it couldn't be left. I honestly don't believe there was anything more natural that would have worked. Since the initial diagnosis in 2005 he has only had one skin infection and maybe one ear infection a year which is a huge improvement!!

#3 of 3 Old 11-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Have you tried normal ear cleaner? When my dog had yeasty ears we skipped the antibiotics and cleaned her affected ears every few days and it worked. I didnt use vinegar I just used the stuff I got from the vet. Yeast isnt fed by proteins, so chances are there are other items in the food like sweet potatoes that are having more of an affect on it then the proteins, however switching to a limited ingredient diet is a good start (I like Acanas Lamb and Apple). I would start adding some apple cider vinegar to your dogs water. Does goats milk have acidopholus in it?

Here is a good site:

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/systemic_yeast_mini_course.htm

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page