We got a dog! Advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-13-2011, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

We just adopted a dog from the humane society. She's 2 years old, part coonhound mixed breed. Very sweet, very very docile and appeasing, somewhat energetic but doesn't jump up or act wild at all. She hardly barks at all. She was in the shelter 4 months, brought in as a stray (one family adopted her for a short time but she didn't get along with their other pets). We have two kids, a 2 and a 5 year old she's perfect with them, not bothered by them and doesn't bother them either. We're home all the time except for short errands and church. She does ok on the leash, needs a little work to not strain against it at all, and seems to be housetrained (crossing fingers that part doesn't need any work). Doesn't much come when called yet and forget about sitting or staying when told to. Any training or other advice for us? Also what are some good premium but lower cost dog foods I ought to look for? She's about ideal weight now I believe and said to be healthy.

anna189 likes this.
#2 of 6 Old 11-14-2011, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

for foods, I like taste of the wild, nature's variety, acana, Fromm, blue buffalo. If you list the brands you are looking at I can help, it depends on what is available in your area. Keep in mind that while you pay more for premium kibbles your dog will eat less.

I would recommend the 2 week shut down to start

http://www.nhpbr.org/two_weeks.html

it gives the dog time to settle in.

For training, I would look into clicker training, search karen pryor for her website, a few good books are The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat ******, Dont Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor and Clicker Training for Dogs by Karen Pryor.

Repitition is what you will need to build up and reinforce these behaviours, it takes time and patience :)

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#3 of 6 Old 11-18-2011, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

double post

#4 of 6 Old 11-18-2011, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

She's VERY energetic, no walks wouldn't work with her. We find she needs a hour plus of jogging and walking to keep her sane through the day. She won't chase a ball, she's all scenthound and no retriever by instinct. We don't spend time with a lot of other people and other people's dogs so the thought of introducing her around hadn't come up yet.

I bought some of the science diet she was used to and some taste of the wild and have been phasing that in. Grain free seems right to me but we'll see if she does well on it...seems like maybe she's more gassy (though not too smelly). I've been feeding her by hand and by a kong. In 2 days of my telling her to sit before feeding kibble she's doing it by voice and quickly without a push on her bottom anymore.

We've found her worst habits: she won't leave us alone if we have food. I have to shut her out of the room while we eat and she barks the whole time. She's been doing steadily better with my husband on walks each day but still won't chill out enough for an easy walk with me and the kids.

#5 of 6 Old 11-19-2011, 09:40 AM

does she have prey drive at all? A flirt pole may be good for tiring her out, its basically like a giant cat toy, get a broom handle, tie some rope too it and a toy on the end of the rope. My dogs love it and would chase it all day.

taste of the wild agrees with a lot of dogs, i would wait until she is off the SD and on the TOTW for a few weeks before assessing how well it is doing for her. A few other good work to eat toys are tug a jugs, buster cubes and kong wobblers.

My small dog is all over me when i have food. lol, its such a pain! Im slowly trying to teach her to go to her "place" (dog bed) when I have food, she is getting better but its slow. She probably has a few more annoying habits up her sleeve, it can take a month or so for them to get comfortable and show their true personalities.

As for walks, if she does well on the flirt pole I would run her on that for a while first and then take her for a walk.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#6 of 6 Old 11-25-2011, 06:01 PM

We have a beagle/lab mix, and in order to get her to leave us alone when we are eating, we had to teach her to "Britta's bed". Basically, go to her place and lay down. Now,  this took a good solid 2 weeks of giving her treats/positive reinforcement and keeping her on leash so that we could take her to her bed. She still prefers to be under the table or near us, but she will go there by choice or when asked.

Is your dog eager to pleaser? I know our hound dog is a huge pleaser. She will do almost anything in order to have more play time, and get praise from us.

Walking with nose to the scent dogs is challenging. A genlte walker or whatever they are called really does help.

I found the breed to be a little stubborn and or distracted- so potty training took a but longer and once in a blue moon she will forget to go potty when taken out and has an accident. Praise, and finding her potty time has helped, but she will get so lost in a scent that she will be in the middle of almost going and then will stop to try and hunt. Hounds are great family dogs.

Clicker training and working with a dog who also knows commands helped our dog. She isn't good with stay, or being off leash, but she has learned roll over, jumo, speak, sit, touch, and other fun tricks. Keeping hounds busy with mental and physical exercise really seems to help.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page