I cannot handle another doggy period! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-29-2011, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh man, with my boyfriend now, he got a baby, I got a dog. I experienced a doggy period for the first time 2 months ago and it lasted for 2 weeks

all over our new microsuade couches, new feather duvet, new sheets, on the carpets, constant licking, it grossed me out so bad and caused tension in our relationship, the problem is and I never looked at any alternatives is we really dont have an extra $300 at the moment for her to be fixed, shes 2 next month but now were back home with my parents and the only non carpeted area in the house is the kitchen, im dreading this I feel its coming soon, what can i do!

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#2 of 16 Old 11-29-2011, 06:50 PM

Ok you are in Ontario so I may be able to help.  Are you able to get to the GTA?  If so: http://www.toronto.ca/animal_services/spay_neuter.htm

There are also doggie diapers made for heat cycles.  Also  keep a close eye on her....you don't want puppies.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#3 of 16 Old 11-29-2011, 06:52 PM

the most i have ever paid to have a dog fixed is 150 and that was because i needed her to stay overnight. and she was in heat. 

i just had my kitten spayed and found an organization in my area called "planned pethood" that payed a large percentage of the cost to spay her. you should do some googling. chances are there is a low cost vet clinic/shelter and posisbly even an org like the one i mentioned.

also you can buy diapers for the dog.

#4 of 16 Old 11-30-2011, 10:02 AM

look into the low cost spay and neuter clinics, if you have a vet clinic you have attended for years they may also arrange a payment plan. Every heat your dog goes through increases the chances of all sorts of unpleasant illnesses, which would be much more costly to treat then a spay.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#5 of 16 Old 11-30-2011, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post

look into the low cost spay and neuter clinics, if you have a vet clinic you have attended for years they may also arrange a payment plan. Every heat your dog goes through increases the chances of all sorts of unpleasant illnesses, which would be much more costly to treat then a spay.

The bolded is gross misinformtion, however, that aside, the first sentence is good advice.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#6 of 16 Old 11-30-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

The bolded is gross misinformtion, however, that aside, the first sentence is good advice.

Actually all of it was good advice.  There is an increased risk of mammary tumors and pyometra.

thumbsup.gif

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#7 of 16 Old 11-30-2011, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegirl View Post

Actually all of it was good advice.  There is an increased risk of mammary tumors and pyometra.

thumbsup.gif

Yes, but a bit one sided wasn't it given that spaying has some negative effects too. 

Quote:

On the negative side, spaying female dogs  

if done before 1 year of age, significantly increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer); this is a 

common cancer in larger breeds with a poor prognosis   

increases the risk of splenic hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 2.2 and cardiac hemangiosarcoma by 

a factor of >5; this is a common cancer and major cause of death in some breeds 

triples the risk of hypothyroidism 

increases the risk of obesity by a factor of 1.6-2, a common health problem in dogs with many 

associated health problems  

causes urinary “spay incontinence” in 4-20% of female dogs  

increases the risk of persistent or recurring urinary tract infections by a factor of 3-4 

increases the risk of recessed vulva, vaginal dermatitis, and vaginitis, especially for female dogs 

spayed before puberty 

doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract tumors 

increases the risk of orthopedic disorders 

increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations 

Long-Term Health Risks and Benefits Associated with Spay/Neuter in Dogs

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#8 of 16 Old 12-01-2011, 09:47 AM

This site is really angering me today, it just deleted my post completely.

Most of that article is laughable, simply because it is drawing conclusions that are not neccessarily based on anything, or may be based on 1 study (which is not proof, studies need to be replicated before conclusions can be drawn) or it is drawn on anecdotal evidence. For instance splenic hemangiosarcoma  and osteosarcoma have not been proven to be effected by altering, it is a hypothesis that has not had enough studies to corroberate that claim, both cancers are more common in certain breeds and could possibly have other links to causation (such as inadequate nutrition...). Pyometra, effects approx. 25% of intact females, if you read down that article, the risk of dying from it jumps from 1% in the overview to 4%. Not sure how they are getting their numbers if they cannot keep it consistent in 1 article. Yes, altering an animal has repurcussions, but at what point is it worth risking or not risking? Considering the fact that humans have created breeds with so many health issues and genetic problems, and the majority of people who breed dogs give little or no thought to the health and well being of the animal, Id say altering a dog is a smaller risk to take compared to the neglect and ignorance of dogs health overall from most owners.

In any case, anyone who calls a dogs heat a "period" (no offense OP, they are fundamentally different) is not knowledged enough to keep an intact animal, I dont trust the general public to be able to keep an intact animal without accidently producing litters.

lonegirl likes this.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#9 of 16 Old 12-01-2011, 10:47 AM

Dogs can go into heat every 4-6 months depending on the dog.  You need to get her spayed.  The solution for you is low cost spay and neuter clinics.  Research them, they are widely available to help.  

If she comes into heat before you can get her spayed, keep your appointment to be spayed and invest in doggie cloth diapers.  They have an area in the diapers where you can take pads and replace them as needed.  It isn't expensive if you buy human pads instead of the doggie pads that are marketed.  The better solution is to get her spayed ASAP for her health.  

lonegirl likes this.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#10 of 16 Old 12-01-2011, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

The closest low cost clinic will do it for $130, its an hour and half drive though. The nearest shelter will only spay dogs if they are part of the shelter, I should call the hour and a half clinic to see if they have outreach dates 

Oh man putting a pad on a dog? Do ppl do that? lol I feel as though it would be ripped off faster than it could stay on, Ill give it a shot if she goes into heat/ period before I can get more info on spaying

and what is the difference between heat and period?

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#11 of 16 Old 12-01-2011, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I will probably get thrashed for this, but it needs to be said.  Pets are a lifetime commitment, which includes a financial component.  I understand that crap happens and you can't plan for everything, but the 1.5 hour trip is worth it for the overall health of the dog.  What are you going to do if the dog gets pregnant?  If you're struggling to afford having this dog spayed, it's going to be costlier to get her spayed (if/when she's pregnant) and even costlier to care for her litter.  Do the right thing for the dog and get her spayed, even if it involves an inconvenient drive.

#12 of 16 Old 12-01-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianhippie View Post

The closest low cost clinic will do it for $130, its an hour and half drive though. The nearest shelter will only spay dogs if they are part of the shelter, I should call the hour and a half clinic to see if they have outreach dates 

Oh man putting a pad on a dog? Do ppl do that? lol I feel as though it would be ripped off faster than it could stay on, Ill give it a shot if she goes into heat/ period before I can get more info on spaying

and what is the difference between heat and period?

The pad goes into a pair of doggie "panties"; the dog can't get to it, so it doesn't get ripped off. Pet Smart and Petco will have them, I've even seen them at Wal-Mart. 

Ditto everyone else. Spay your dog, ASAP. She'll be happier and healthier, and you'll have the peace of mind of knowing that you won't have surprise puppies or a mess in your house every time your dog goes into heat. And I think the difference between a period and a dog going into heat is that a female dog goes into heat to attract a mate and procreate, whereas a woman's period is the beginning of her cycle, we generally can't get pregnant while we are menstruating. 

Eva, Tired Single Mama of Hurricane Bella~3/06 and Boy Bug Silas~7/08 fencing.gif

delayedvax.gifintactlact.gifcd.gif

#13 of 16 Old 12-05-2011, 03:43 AM

Dog cage.Costs about $75 for a large one.Keep the dog in their.Ofcourse for $75 you can have the dog spayed. I would make the BF clean up the blood and goo. Yes, it is nasty.

I drove my dogs and cats to a place that did the fixing for $65. It was an hour drive just to get there.Well worth it.

#14 of 16 Old 12-06-2011, 09:24 AM
rcr

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post

I will probably get thrashed for this, but it needs to be said.  Pets are a lifetime commitment, which includes a financial component.  I understand that crap happens and you can't plan for everything, but the 1.5 hour trip is worth it for the overall health of the dog.  What are you going to do if the dog gets pregnant?  If you're struggling to afford having this dog spayed, it's going to be costlier to get her spayed (if/when she's pregnant) and even costlier to care for her litter.  Do the right thing for the dog and get her spayed, even if it involves an inconvenient drive.

thumb.gif Yup. Get the dog spayed.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#15 of 16 Old 12-09-2011, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

I agree, I dont think my bf should have gotten the dog because of the financial situation, he went through a dog loss and his mother and ex picked one up without him knowing, so alas, here we are

I also agree the dog should be spayed, no problems with the drive, hard without a vehicle however

I wasnt so much concerned about pregnancy, not much where we live but cows! and she's always on leash due to a unfenced backyard and main road proximity, was looking for answers on maybe what other dog owners did to handle it, in the mean time until she can be spayed or an alternative to spaying, and not kenneling, my goodness cant lock the dog up for 2 weeks!

aw i cant just make my bf clean, that's not fair, we split the duties 50/50 

thank youuu

#16 of 16 Old 12-09-2011, 08:29 PM

Hope you can find a low-cost clinic to get her spayed ASAP. Our new puppy was spayed right after we got her - at 2 months old. That's rough that your BF's dog is already 2 years and not fixed. Is there a way to pay payments somewhere to get it done soon? Best of luck.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page