my cat is 21 years old and started drinking and peeing alot, meowing all the time like she wants more water when her bowel is full, does anyone know what is going on, I can not afford a vet - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-15-2011, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my cat is 21 years old and started drinking and peeing alot, meowing all the time like she wants more water when her bowel is full, does anyone know what is going on, I can not afford a vet

#2 of 6 Old 12-15-2011, 05:59 AM

I'm sorry, but you need a vet. It could be kidney failure or something, but it sounds like your cat is suffering and she needs to be seen. Check around for low-cost services... sometimes shelters have connections, and some vets have end-of-life care that is very affordable. Many vets are willing to work with you if have a very sick cat and you tell them you have very limited means.

I'm so sorry...

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 6 Old 12-15-2011, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your information and concerns.  I will make some phone calls and see what I can find out.

#4 of 6 Old 12-15-2011, 12:13 PM

That does sound like possible kidney failure - good luck with getting your cat the help it needs!

#5 of 6 Old 12-21-2011, 03:11 AM

Perhaps diabetes. Doc would start with a blood test ,urine test,and general exam.Probably around $100 for that visit. Best to euthanise the cat if you would be unable to afford a large vet bill or long term care. I recently spent $300 on my cat.Glad she is better(mostly on her own!),but boy that bill was a killer.Try some alternative health and if not consider euthanising.

#6 of 6 Old 12-21-2011, 04:35 AM

It sounds like renal failure to me.  It is highly unlikely to  be diabetes at that age. 

Blood and urine will need to be tested for confirmation.  A switch to a low protein diet and likely subcutaneous fluids at home will be needed.  There are a few meds and supplements that will help support the kidneys as well.

By the time cats show strong symptoms up to 2/3 kidney function is lost.

At minimum switching to a canned low protein diet (available at your vet or request a homemade low protein diet)will lessen the stress on the kidneys.    Allow free access to water.

She may also have thyroid issues.  Is she eating more or less?  Any weight loss?

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page