Recommendations for rubber dog bones for big dogs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-20-2011, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just adopted an 83 pound boxer.  His foster mom sent his favorite blue rubber bone with us when we picked him up on Sunday, but it fell out of my pocket at the crowded pet store.  Petsmart workers say they saw it, but it likely was thrown away with the used returned items.  :(  And I can't find him a replacement like it! 

He has a black Kong, but I'd like to get him something easier to grasp with his paws.

Any recommendations?

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#2 of 11 Old 12-21-2011, 04:37 AM

Kong toys come in a variety of shapes and sizes....

http://www.kongcompany.com/products/dogs/interactive-fetch/squeezz-dumbbell

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#3 of 11 Old 12-21-2011, 09:01 AM

We have both kongs and a Rhino Supertuff nylabone which is made of the same soft rubber for our Great Dane. She went right through the kong bone that you can stuff treats in. I think because they have holes at the end of the bone she could tear it apart from there. We haven't had any problems with the solid nylabone or the original kong. The red kong we got her as a puppy is still the only toy that is in one piece.

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

#4 of 11 Old 12-21-2011, 10:09 AM

nylabone, planet dog, kong, all make rubber bones.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#5 of 11 Old 12-22-2011, 09:26 AM

Did you end up getting Jake or another boxer? 

Nylabones are the only bones my big dogs don't chew through.  Well they chew through them eventually but in a slow and safe manner.  They are great for their teeth and really safe comparably too.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#6 of 11 Old 12-22-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Haha, Tank!  We adopted Jake, but actually changed his name to TANK because Jake is my son's name.  And the dog is huge!  LOL!  He's a calm, loving, sweet, friendly to all boxer who snorts and snores and drools and burps and farts.  Which my guys love, of course. 

Our 10yo female lab mix growled at him at first, but now she basically ignores him.  Progress!  He had a playdate with my best friend's older puppy down the street and they got along great.  He sleeps on my son's bed with him and doesn't need to be crated inside.  Only thing we've noticed is that he has a little separation anxiety, which is why I want to get him a good bone to chew on.  He'll lick treats out of his Kong, but he doesn't chew on it.  

I'm going to get him one of those big Kong bones today.  Thank you all for the recommendations!

IMG_5198.JPG

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#7 of 11 Old 12-22-2011, 05:58 PM

He is so cute!  Great name thumb.gif You should try (if you haven't) filling his kong with peanut butter or chicken broth and freezing it for him to work on while you are gone.  There are all sorts of recipes out there.  Probably just google kong recipe and it will come up with some stuff.  If you freeze it, it can take him hours to get all of it out and occupy him while you are gone.  It is also less messy that way. 

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#8 of 11 Old 12-23-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Great idea about freezing peanut butter!  He's usually done licking it off the Kong by the time we walk out the door!  I bought him a big red rubber Nylabone bone.  He likes it!  Thanks, all!

#9 of 11 Old 12-27-2011, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Man, I got Tank the red Nylabone Rhino Chew bone and he chewed a chunk off of that (and swallowed it).  So I got him the stronger black one.  He chewed pieces of that one off and swallowed them too!  He wasn't that interested in his XL black Kong.  Maybe he needs an XXL?  He loves the bones, but he eats the pieces he chews off!  Any ideas for what I should try next?

#10 of 11 Old 12-27-2011, 10:26 PM

get the white durable hard nylabone.  He can slowly chew that up and I haven't met a dog that could get a chunk off that one.  Those ones are supposed to be safe to chew and swollow tiny pieces of.

#11 of 11 Old 12-28-2011, 10:04 AM

yeah the white nylabones called galileo should last a good long while. You could get him an antler too, they are a bit pricey to start off with but they last a long time!

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page