puppy and toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-21-2011, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, DS is in love with our new puppy and the feeling is mutual.  The only thing is, when they are together the puppy (11 week old blk lab mix/resuce) gets overstimulated FAST and plays way too rough. We took her to a puppy kindergarten class full of pups her age and the teachers said she tends to be reactive and she keeps playing rough when the other pups have chilled out....Of course I am working on teaching my 26 mth old DS to be gentle, and to freeze and look at the sky when the dog jumps on him...but he just giggles and tries to hug and kiss her....as you know, toddlers can be slow going with this stuff. He thinks it's hilarious to try to get her to chew on his fingers etc.  We have a crate and the pup is spending a lot of time in there, with a blanket over 3 sides- as she is not 100%housebroken.  I wear a running leash/teaching lead a lot when she's not confined inside, because otherwise it's CHAOS.  She tends to be in her crate snoozing or penned in the kitchen right now.  They are better together outside but inside its crazy.  I can't yet take her on long walks cuz she's not yet 100% vaccinated.  Also my old cat wants to kill the puppy and seriously will attack the poor thing.  Any tips?  BTDT?

#2 of 3 Old 12-22-2011, 06:09 PM

I don't have much advice but I'm in a similar situation. We just got a puppy (a 3 month old Beagle) who keeps jumping on my son. He isn't knocking him down but my son gets mad and pushes the dog down. I keep telling him we need to be gentle with the dog and just tell the dog "no no, don't jump!" I honestly don't know if it's working at all, but I'm not sure what to do. I'm struggling to housebreak him and he FREAKS out when I put him the crate. I think puppies are just naturally hyper for a while and taking him for walks/jogs would be great to help release some of that energy. Sorry I'm not much help but you're not alone! I love this puppy but I'm wondering why I let my DH talk me into getting one! I now get to pottytrain a dog and a 22 month old- I clean up pee and poop more than I ever thought I would! haha Best of luck with your new family member! 

SAHM married with 2 boys (Feb 2010 & Oct 2012) 

signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg

#3 of 3 Old 12-23-2011, 07:41 AM

this site may help you

http://familypaws.com/

anytime the puppy starts to get too rough, remove the pup from the situation, he will quickly learn that being rough = end of playtime.

If you google search Ian Dunbar's before and after you get your puppy you can get it free, and its a great resource.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page