PSA on lactation and very young puppies... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-28-2011, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We recently rescued a very young puppy, the vet said about 4 weeks so he would be about 5 1/2 weeks now. Well I thought I had put him in his bed which he could not previously climb out of...

I sleep shirtless so as to leave the equipment out for my 20 month old. I had hives last night so I had taken a benedryl and was really out of it. I woke up this morning to find the puppy in the bed latched on.  Has this ever happened to anyone else?  Is it going to hurt the puppy?

Becky married to Dave with our sons Davey(6), Beren(3), an Angel, and Seifer(11 m)
#2 of 7 Old 12-28-2011, 08:19 PM

I doubt its going to hurt the puppy, but I think its weird. I would have freaked out if I woke to find that.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 7 Old 12-28-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I did.  Puppy is sleeping in the crate with the door latched tonight.

Becky married to Dave with our sons Davey(6), Beren(3), an Angel, and Seifer(11 m)
#4 of 7 Old 12-28-2011, 08:49 PM

I don't know if it's that weird... I mean, we see news articles all the time about cross species nursing. Maybe he really needs the extra cuddles. I have a kitten and when she first came to me she would try to nurse on my finger tips. I hand expressed breastmilk for her to drink and she loved it. She is my most attached and loyal pet. My poor dogs have had so much trauma in their lives, I bet the closeness from nursing might have helped them a lot.... 

#5 of 7 Old 12-29-2011, 07:11 AM

Oh, wow, that is awful.  yikes2.gif  I would've been horrified to wake up and find a dog latched onto my breast. hug2.gif  I'm all for cuddling with pets but, nursing them?  No.  Besides the fact that human milk is meant for humans, not animals, I don't think I'd want my dog looking at me and thinking I'm delicious. :)

#6 of 7 Old 12-31-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferlynne View Post

Oh, wow, that is awful.  yikes2.gif  I would've been horrified to wake up and find a dog latched onto my breast. hug2.gif  I'm all for cuddling with pets but, nursing them?  No.  Besides the fact that human milk is meant for humans, not animals, I don't think I'd want my dog looking at me and thinking I'm delicious. :)

cows milk is made for cows but humans drink that, what's the difference?

I honestly don't now how I would handle that, probably just laugh it off but if your child is in bed with you the dog should be locked in the crate or out of the room at night for safety.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#7 of 7 Old 12-31-2011, 07:29 PM

Different but related-

When one of my boys was about 10 months old, our rabbit gave birth to two babies. Within 3 or 4 days it became apparent that she was not nursing one of them much, and as one grew he got more and more while the other got less and less. My options, as I saw them, were 1) Drive 45 minutes to the big pet store for some kind of supplement to bottle feed  2) Get goat milk from the farm down the road, to bottle feed  3) Hold the bunny so it could catch the leakage from one breast while my son nursed on the other....

Yep.

She grew healthy and strong and was one of my favorite rabbits ever :)

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page