Dog with a cough - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-02-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In the middle of the night our dog started coughing pretty loud, I thought she was about to vomit from the way it sounded.  It seems to be getting more frequent.  It is loud and dry and she does look like she is going to vomit, but nothing at all comes up.  She's acting normal otherwise.  Any idea what's wrong, or anything to help her feel better?

She is only 3 and has seemed healthy.  About 3 weeks ago, we took her in to get her teeth cleaned.  She had some problems after that, peeing in the house, like it just leaked everywhere and would squat without peeing a lot outside.  We went back to the vet, he checked her urine and did an x-ray and found nothing and she got back to normal.  I'm assuming that is not related, but we've spent a lot on her recently, so I really don't feel like paying for another trip to the vet.  Other than that last vet visit two weeks ago, she hasn't been around other dogs recently, except my mom's, but he isn't sick.  

Amy, wife of Ben and mommy of Paul (4/9/07), (7/09) and Charlie (5/13/10)
#2 of 5 Old 01-02-2012, 10:50 AM

she could have picked up kennel cough from the vets, or she could have something stuck in her throat, or just an irritated throat. If she is still eating and drinking and acting normally i would probably give her a day or two to see if it gets better and if not then I would take her in.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#3 of 5 Old 01-02-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Could kennel cough take that long to show up though?  That's what I was assuming until I checked the calendar and saw it had been two weeks.  Thanks!

#4 of 5 Old 01-12-2012, 03:17 AM

could also be tracheal irritation from being intubated for the dentistry.  Sounds more like kennel cough though.  It is easily picked up. 

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#5 of 5 Old 01-12-2012, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

I'm really thinking it was kennel cough now.  My mom's dog was sick (had been to the vet even more recent than my dog, but he didn't get his cough until the day after we were around him), but I guess she didn't think that was worth mentioning when I was first telling her my dog was coughing.  It sounded really bad for a couple days, but then you could tell it was getting less frequent, even though it took about a week for her to stop coughing.  She seems to be fine now.

lonegirl likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page