Dogs attacked my cat. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 01-13-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sorry, I almost never post here anymore, but I wanted to say something about this to someone. My cat had some nerve damage to his back legs and we've been keeping him in. He slipped out this morning when my husband left for work. I lay in bed later thinking I should check on him but didn't get up. Then I heard noises, like a dog but wrong, like a recording. I thought it was maybe my son playing. Finally I realized it was a real dog and ran out - two large dogs were savaging the cat in the backyard, jerking him around. I ran at them screaming and they ran off. Anyway...the vet operated. He says he'll have to be one strong kitty to make it through the night.

Is it okay if I ask you guys who pray to pray for him? Objectively he's just a cat, but subjectively...this is hard.

#2 of 28 Old 01-13-2012, 04:10 PM

he isnt just a cat, he's a member of your family so it makes sense! I will definately send some strong kitty vibes your way, stay strong kitty!

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#3 of 28 Old 01-13-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! His ribs were broken, and his spleen was on the wrong side of his abdominal wall. There was more extensive damage once the vet got in there, but I don't know the details. He crawled half out of his carrier to press his head against me before they took him back. I just hate leaving him overnight when this might be it. I do appreciate it. I don't know too many animal lovers in real life.

#4 of 28 Old 01-13-2012, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm really sorry! Sending lots of love to your kitty blowkiss.gif

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#5 of 28 Old 01-13-2012, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks...I'll try to update tomorrow.

#6 of 28 Old 01-14-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Well, my cat is still alive. His ribs were crushed and the vet had to make some sort of cover for his diaphragm, which had also come unattached on one side. He was mostly out of it when we visited today but I think he knew we were there. Hard to say how it's going to turn out yet. If anyone has any suggestions for dealing with the owners of the dogs when we track them down, let me know. We'd like them to help pay the vet bill, which is going to be a lot for us to manage.

#7 of 28 Old 01-14-2012, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I would file a complaint.  We had a dog in the neighborhood that attacked numerous small animals and complaints were filed.  A small dog couldn't even be in a fenced back yard.  This canine could scale a 6ft fence no problem. 

If you recognize the dogs or atleast have a good description to go by that would help.  Hopefully if found they're chipped. 

#8 of 28 Old 01-16-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

We haven't made much progress identifying the dogs yet. One was a white pit bull, the other looked a little larger but not as blocky a build, with a yellowish color. We did speak to a neighbor boy who has a motion activated camera in his backyard for deer watching. He said it had caught images of a couple of dogs that sounded like the right ones. He was supposed to come by today, but I haven't seen him. Dispatch says animal control is off for MLK and won't be back on the job until Wednesday, but they're supposed to send someone out to patrol then. I'm hoping there may be a previous report on these dogs - won't find that out until Wednesday either, though.

We visited today - he's been eating and drinking a little on his own, and can take some steps - which is good, considering the previously occurring nerve damage and the fact that one of the dogs got hold of the top of one back leg. I think if the vet had known how damaged the cat really was, he would likely have recommended euthanization instead of surgery. But somehow he seems to be pulling through, at least so far.

#9 of 28 Old 01-16-2012, 06:49 PM

I'm glad your cat seems to be pulling through! I hope he continues to get better.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

#10 of 28 Old 01-16-2012, 07:05 PM

Glad he's pulling through.  Hoping for a speedy recovery.

#11 of 28 Old 01-16-2012, 07:48 PM

I'm so sorry about your cat.  If you can figure out whose dogs they were you can contact their home owners insurance.  If they don't have it you will probably have to take them to court (small claims court?) but definitely file a report.  

I will think some healing thoughts for your cat.

#12 of 28 Old 01-16-2012, 08:05 PM

Oops. Double post.

#13 of 28 Old 01-17-2012, 12:01 PM

glad he is doing well!

I would also file a complaint, but Im not sure I would expect the owners to pay the vet bills, unfortunately your cat got out, and while there shouldnt have been loose dogs, both parties IMO are responsible.

Keeping your kitty in my thoughts, hang in there!

#14 of 28 Old 01-17-2012, 12:12 PM

There is likely a leash law for the dogs and not for the cat.  The dogs were I uncontrolled and off their property the cat was in its own backyard.  I don't see where the share responsibility is.  

#15 of 28 Old 01-17-2012, 12:29 PM

Right if the animal is on your property and does damage to anything on your property its the responsibility of the owner of the offending animals.  A cat in your yard being attacked is no different than a child, dog, adult or anything else for that matter being attacked.  A small dog got loose in our hood and was attacked by a pit in the road.  The owner of the pit was responsible for the damages it's dog caused to the smaller dog.  Though the small dog ended up not making it, the pit owners were cited and ended up having to pay quite a bit to the city.  The owner refused to pay for medical bills and felt that their dog was provoked by the toy poodle.  The story did not end well as others in the neighborhood were angry at the pit owner for not taking responsibility for their dog.  The pit ended up going missing.  Moral of the story, if you have an animal that has proven that it will harm other animals or people for that matter, take responsibility. 

#16 of 28 Old 01-17-2012, 12:45 PM

We had an instance, in our city, of a larger dog attacking a smaller dog when both dogs were off leash.  The owner of the attacking dog was responsible for the injuries and the home owners ins paid but the owner of the small dog ended up not filing a report because she was also responsible since her dog was also in violation of the leash law.  

#17 of 28 Old 01-17-2012, 02:01 PM

I would have paid my leash law violation then filed the report.  The other owners need to be responsible as well. 

#18 of 28 Old 01-17-2012, 02:26 PM

I think I would have too.  I think people need to be aware if their dog has a strong prey drive (generally why dogs go after smaller animals suddenly and without provocation) and make sure they have appropriate safe guards to prevent their animal from coming into contact with perceived prey.  Human aggression is different and even though I feel sad for the animals sometimes I think those with human aggression should be put down.  I just wish people wouldn't confuse the two.  I think where the two can cross is if you have a prey driven dog not socialized to children...why I think all dogs should be socialized to children.  Anyway, back on topic.  I think the owners are certainly responsible and I hope the op finds them and sues them if need be. 

#19 of 28 Old 01-18-2012, 09:36 AM

ah see in my area there are laws against cats roaming so both parties would be held responsible. And since there are leash laws any dogs offleash would be equally responsible, as they are both violating laws. And laws on owners property are all over the place, if your dog was in your yard and killed the neighbours cat your dog would still be held responsible, at least partially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyMama View Post

There is likely a leash law for the dogs and not for the cat.  The dogs were I uncontrolled and off their property the cat was in its own backyard.  I don't see where the share responsibility is.  

#20 of 28 Old 01-19-2012, 09:46 AM

Hope the cat is doing well.

I had a husky come into my yard and attack my dog. The owners paid a $400 vet bill. I think I was lucky as most people will not pay.

I would report the dog attack to AC,and perhaps file a report with the police,because these dogs could attack anyone next time. I recently read a story posted on BYC about a lady in GA that was attacked by 3 pits while getting her mail.Neighbors dogs. I don't know if she made it.Dogs together can be more dangerous when they roam.

#21 of 28 Old 01-19-2012, 11:15 AM

how is kitty doing?

#22 of 28 Old 01-20-2012, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry it took me so long to get back. Tigger is home and resting. He'll have his bandage on for at least another week but he is eating some now and trying to start using the litter box - they were having to express his bladder until yesterday. (He hasn't defecated - I think not since the attack - but he hasn't been eating very much either.) He started purring I think before I got him all the way in the house; he's definitely glad to be home.

Animal control has been a little slow to respond, but in fairness I think they're probably understaffed. I did speak with an officer today who said he'd patrol this afternoon. My husband saw a dog a street or so over who looked like one of the two - not the pit - and he was not fenced or chained. I told the officer but haven't heard back since then. It turns out we have a leash law for both cats and dogs. He said that even though the cat was in my yard, he wasn't restrained at the time (fence or leash) so the dogs' owner/s couldn't be held liable. He can take the dogs in re: the leash law and said he'd mention the cat to the owners, but it looks like that'll be it.

#23 of 28 Old 01-21-2012, 10:14 AM

Yay Tigger! So glad he's home and recovering joy.gif 

It sounds a bit nutty to say that because your cat wasn't tied up as bait for those dogs you can't press charges. I hope the dogs are at least found and identified so they can be made aware of the damage their dogs caused.

#24 of 28 Old 01-21-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Does anyone have any tips on how to get him to eat and drink? He'll drink some of the liquid from wet cat food, and that's all he wants to do. He seems to keep swallowing and reswallowing after he's finished, too.

No luck with the dogs yet, I'm afraid, at least not that I know of. I guess I'll call Animal Control again Monday.

#25 of 28 Old 01-22-2012, 09:24 AM

you could try some tuna water, straight from the can, always works for me.

#26 of 28 Old 01-22-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I just have tuna in oil but I did give him some of that. I think that may have helped some with his GI tract as that's working again now. He's been using the litter box enough today that I wonder if he's been drinking when I'm out of the room. He did eat a little dry cat food but I may buy some tuna in water tomorrow or some baby food anyway.

#27 of 28 Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 AM

glad to hear he is slowly improving! What a strong kitty!

#28 of 28 Old 12-07-2012, 04:54 AM

Had the same problem, dogs running loose killed my wifes cat in the back yard,Police were atvised , later the dog came back after a second cat on my deck, 12gauge remington 1100 shotgun stopped the mutt  12 ga 2 shot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page