help! what's wrong with my cat's skin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-10-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Sorry if this is gross!

In a nutshell, she has a scabby layer matted into her fur on her back, but no bald spots.

She is about 10 years old, short hair, and seems healthy and active.  She eats the indoor cat food and uses feline pine litter.  She is an indoor cat.  We have a second cat who is a little bit younger but doesn't appear to have this skin problem.   No fleas that I can notice on either, and I think we would notice. 

The other day I was petting her and noticed that she seemed to have some scabs in her fur.  I looked closer and it's like she has this extra layer of scabbing - salt and pepper looking - matted above her skin on her back by her tail, which seems to be normal looking underneath the crust.  She doesn't appear to be losing fur, but will shed if I groom her with the groom brush (which she seems to enjoy), and when I did that, her skin looked a bit reddened afterwards, so I stopped.  The crust smells kind of bad.  I am so grossed out.  I think we are going to buy some gloves tomorrow and give her a bath, because I am wondering if she is just getting old and not grooming as well... even though I see her grooming all the time??

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i would bring her into the vet, if it is smelly it could be an infection which needs some antibiotics.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
Old 04-12-2012, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My old cat had something , that sounds like what you are describing . 

In her case , it was a glandular / thyroid problem , don´t remember accurately , but it caused the skin to be flaky and smelly in a few spots . 

I was worried at first , that it was some kind of fungus or other contagious skin disease , but turned out to be an " old - age " thing , that could be treated with oral meds .

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

Old 05-05-2012, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

welll, turns out it was fleas, in case anyone else has this problem.

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014

User Tag List