semi-feral cat had kittens - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-12-2012, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a semi feral cat that gave birth on the side of my house today. This cat rarely lets me touch her and she is usually skittish. When I heard kitten mews I quickly checked it out startled to see her laying in tall weeds with 4 kittens (all but the last one was still attached to the afterbirth through its umbilical chord. I was soooo afraid she would run away if I got close, but she didn't move a muscle. I pet her to make sure she was alright. She let me touch her and the kittens purring appreciatively. I had to cut the last ones chord. She is an outdoor cat so i know she wont come in my house. But because of the weather I could not leave her and her kittens to fend for themselves. So I got a storage box lined with towels and blanket covering the whole box. I have checked up on them and they all seem to be healthy. They are about 10hrs old and are all in my garage. She has not moved them yet and I hope to keep it that way for my garage is a complete mess of boxes and garbage. (Old toys/ect ) I give mamma strips of Turkey for she is a new mom and I want her to know that she is doing a good job. I have checked on them repeatedly and she is still laying with them. I also laid out food and water and plan to buy some special food for her tomorrow. I am the only one who has touched the kittens so far and she is very comfortable with me. I hope to clear the garage as she and the kittens are close to the back garage door and the is a small draft. There is a storm going on outside and I'm just happy she hasn't tried to move them yet. This is a wild cat that has just been around my house for the last 3months. I wish I could bring her into my home but I'm afraid that mite upset her to the point where she will hide the kittens. Any advice would help me and my new momma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-12-2012, 11:08 AM

do you have a room you dont use that is fairly quiet? Thank you for bringing them into your garage! you could also try contacting a local rescue who may have a quiet area for her to raise her babies.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#3 of 4 Old 04-12-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

She has now hidden one and I don't know where she is. I changed one of the blankets because I heard they don't like to be around the birthing smell because it attracts predators. Also I didn't want them to get cold without her. I'm leaving them alone in hopes she will return with the other kitten. I also put a small spoon of tuna fish out to coerce back
#4 of 4 Old 04-13-2012, 10:04 AM

i would just provide plenty of water and kibble and leave them alone for a day or so, once she brings the kitten back, maybe sit in for a few minutes just leaving them be so she can get used to you being there.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page