Are dogs "more work" than cats? Moral support needed. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 04-21-2012, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't mean to offend any of the dog lovers in this forum. I know nothing about dogs. I had a fear of since childhood.  When Dd came along I learned to mask it - I did not want to pass on the fear to her. We have two cats and a fish tank, and Dd has fallen in love with a puppy. Since Dd has come along I've slowly been dealing with my fear, and the dog she is asking for is one that even I can see is silly to be afraid of. It's a teeny tiny thing destined to remain pretty small, it's laughable that I might have any fear of it.

A separate, and more important problem is that I already feel overwhelmed by the animal care. We had two fish deaths for no known reason, and the cats are on restricted access to the full house because they have had litter box issues and I work at home; can't have any odor. The cats seem content enough with their arrangement but they do not have free run of the house, which I feel bad about. Because of this, Dd doesn't get as much time with them as she did before we realized they had troubles. They are now older and have had a long stretch of good behavior, and we're looking at trying increased access again, very gradually. The fish tank has been allowed to come into balance and we've been talking about how it's probably ready for fish again. Now, all of a sudden, the dog thing comes up.

Dh says dogs are "no work", especially since the dog Dd likes is a small one that apparently can be litter trained. If we get this dog, 90% of the work will be mine and that's giving me a knot in my stomach. I admit, I'm a 'cat person' (Dh's term) and not wild about dog behaviors, but I've said no to requests for more cats or a lizard. Dh really wants the dog too; for himself and because Dd is asking. But - he works long hours and I can't count on him to do much or any of the work. Dd is 10 and needs constant reminding to do her share of work on the cats; I'm sick of hearing myself nag. I don't ask her to help with the fish tank anymore because I'm sick of hearing myself nag. She's a responsible kid but I decided not to give her any more animal duties. Of course she says she would do more work on the dog - but she says that about the cats and - I end up nagging.

Dd is in love with a puppy that probably is not even available anymore...and if we find out that it is, there will be a lot of pressure on me to agree quickly when this would be a huge adjustment, and even though Dh denies it, a time investiment, I'm sure. And if the dog goes the same way as the cats or the fish, I'll be in sad shape. If the puppy is still available next week, I feel like getting it is inevitable, yet I feel unable to cope. Dd is in a high stress profession and does not have much of an ear for my feeling overwhelmed by animal care. Dd just wants the dog - she is an only child. Days before she first met the puppy, she started coming to terms with the fact that she and her once-best friend are growing apart. She was feeling a big hole with the realization, and she feels like this puppy would fill the gap. But this is not a new whim, she's been talking of a dog for the past year.

Thanks for reading - my lack of sense relates to the late hour and the many facets to my quandry. Any advice in any of the problem areas I mentioned would be appreciated. 

#2 of 31 Old 04-21-2012, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Yes, dogs are more work than cats.  And puppies are a HUGE amount of work, they need to be housetrained, exercised, socialized... It is not reasonable for your dh to ask you to take on a puppy for your 10 year old unless you are happy about it.  Your dd is also at an age where she would be in love with the dog for now, but might start to be less interested as she becomes a teen and becomes busier outside the home.  

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#3 of 31 Old 04-21-2012, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, there is the whole puppy-training thing; in my mind I'd been preparing myself for maybe an adult some dream day when the cat thing worked out (they have they problems but they are sociable when visiting with other animals)...and I've been hoping that Dd would ride out this wave. Unfortunately, Dh's own desire for a dog caused him to get pulled in, which got her more pulled in...

#4 of 31 Old 04-22-2012, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yes, a dog is much more work than a cat.  It sounds like your cats stay indoors all the time, but even if you get a very small dog and litter train it, it really ought to get outside exercise regularly.  It's not much of a life just sitting inside the house all day.  And if dogs get bored, they can develop really destructive or annoying behaviors.  Puppies chew everything and need to be housebroken, so they have to be watched constantly, like young toddlers.  And they need training - they need to learn to come when called, to use their teeth gently when they play (or not to put their teeth on you at all, if that's what you prefer to teach), to let you take things from them, how to walk on a leash, what they're not allowed to chew on, what furniture they're not allowed to get on.  If it's not a short-haired dog, it will need to get used to being brushed.  It will need to get used to being around people other than family, if you ever want to have company or take the dog on walks.  You'll need to think a lot about what behaviors will be okay and how you'll prevent not-okay behaviors.  Will it be allowed on furniture?  Will it be allowed in every room of the house?  How will you keep it from eating poop out of the cats' litter box or eating the cats' food?  When you take it on walks, will it be allowed to pull on the leash?  Will it be allowed to go over to other people and jump up on them?  Will it be allowed to lunge and bark at other dogs?  If you don't want those behaviors, do you know how to teach the dog not to do them?  What if it turns out to bark a lot or starts snapping at people?  Are you willing to read training books or work with a trainer, or if it has troublesome behaviors is it going to have to go?

#5 of 31 Old 04-22-2012, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Pretty much what pps said...if neither of the people who want the dog are going to be responsible for it, that would be a definite no imo.

#6 of 31 Old 04-22-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious View Post

I've slowly been dealing with my fear, and the dog she is asking for is one that even I can see is silly to be afraid of. It's a teeny tiny thing destined to remain pretty small, it's laughable that I might have any fear of it.

When you are walking the dog, all other kinds of dogs will come to you to check out your dog. Some will be small, some large, and some of those dogs will have dumb owners who wouldn't bother to teach them proper manners. You'd have enough opportunities for fear, trust me.

Dogs are way more work than cats. Stand your ground.

#7 of 31 Old 04-22-2012, 11:57 AM

I disagree, in our experience, one dog is WAY LESS work than two cats, especially if it is a small short-haired dog, you get it as an adult (no puppy training for me, ever), and you have a fenced yard. We actually enjoy walking our dog daily, as it helps us get exercise. But our cats died before we got a dog, and we are now a one-pet household. I would not add another pet to our household for love or money right now.

Don't add another pet if you don't want it and you'd be the primary caregiver.

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#8 of 31 Old 04-22-2012, 12:26 PM

I completely agree that dogs are way more work than cats.  I once had two cats and then got a dog, and it was way more work (which I was prepared for, but it was still a huge PITA).  The dog was a pug puppy, and so cute and sweet, but required a lot more attention and maintenance than the two cats combined.  

I am actually glad that having kids triggered pet allergies in me (weird, I know), because now I won't be coerced into getting any pets!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#9 of 31 Old 04-23-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Dh says dogs are "no work"

That is absolutely untrue. It would be untrue to say cats are no work also.

We have 3 cats and 2 dogs currently. Dh and dd help very little with the pets.

We got one dog as a puppy and one as an adult- neither are big dogs. Our cats stay in the basement or the enclosed back porch. The dogs have the rest of the house.

I feel this isn't really about a comparison since you are not wavering between owning a cat vs owning a dog. You are talking about having cats and adding a different type of pet- a dog- to your household. It is more work to have multiple pets of different types IME. With the same type of pet you can do actions at the same time and it doesn't add much work but different kinds of pets require different work. I can walk two dogs at once or clean 3 litter pans at once but I can't walk the dogs and clean the litter pans at the same time.

Any pet you add to your household is adding work and if you already feel overwhelmed with what you have and you will be the one doing the work then I would end the discussion right there. It isn't even all about you feeling put upon or having a dog phobia but about being able to provide for proper care for the animals. It isn't fair to them to get sub-standard care. You naturally have limits and if you are at your limit then it is unfair to all to ask you to do more.

It is also a commitment to care for that pet for life so pp is right that even if your child helps initially your dd might get busy in a few years and you need to be prepared to be the one to care for that animal no matter what other people say they will do.

I felt overwhelmed with our dogs and cats but gave in to getting a hamster over a year ago and it was a mistake. Dd did not follow through on cleaning and caring for the hamster even though she swore up and down and even put it in writing that she would so it was one more pet for me to take care of.  A hamster sounds simple but the cage needed to be kept super clean which was actually a lot of work. The hamster died after a year and I am being absolutely firm this time on no more pets of any kind even though I love animals too.

In terms of caring for a dog by itself-

We got the one dog as a puppy and we only had fish as indoor pets at that time. The puppy required several months to potty train. This meant watching him carefully and responding quickly.  He was high energy and chewed on a lot of stuff as a puppy. There was a lot of extra housecleaning to do to clean up accidents and try to get things out of his reach. There was other training that needed to be done as well. Even without potty training he still needed to be walked.  Dd's interest in him became less as he and she got older.

The adult dogs are less work than a puppy. They still need to be walked or cleaned up after. They need to be brushed, bathed, and have toenails clipped regularly. There are vet visits. They need to be fed.  They demand petting and attention daily. There is hair all over- even the short hair dog sheds. The dogs follow me all day long. Our house and yard require treatment for fleas.

Be realistic and say no.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#10 of 31 Old 04-23-2012, 07:04 AM

I"ll add to the above comments and point out that I don't think one should get a dog (or any pet) for a child. You get a dog for the family, knowing you will be the primary caretaker and trainer of this dog. If it isn't right for the family to have a dog, knowing that you'll be the doggie-care person, don't get a dog.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#11 of 31 Old 04-23-2012, 08:36 AM

I'll concur that dogs are more "work".

I admit to browsing the responses, so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but if you are already having litter issues with your cats, a dog addition to the house may increase those issues.

I have two cats, aside from their destructive cat-tendencies (Must kill!  Must kill!  Must kill... knick-knacks!)  they are approximately zero work.  They are indoors only, short-haired rescue moggies, if I feel like brushing them I do, they get food every night, they have three water stations they have learned to request refills as needed on (nightly or more often), they have a litter box each in a private, hidden area that gets cleaned as needed or once a week, whichever is most often, and on occasion I deign to pet one of the beasts.  Considering that they guard their turf (the house), and one will sit in the baby's lap, along with the pest control and general amusement, I consider them zero work.  If we leave for the weekend I leave them a couple mixing bowls full of ice and one of food.  Heh.  Oh, and once a year I schlep them to the vet for shots and a once-over.  I really think dogs are much, much, much more work.  You have to train the dog... you have to follow the dog on his walks with a baggy.  (Ugh.)  You have to wash dogs.  Cats are self-washing.   Stick with cats.  I love dogs, I just like them best when they belong to other people.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#12 of 31 Old 04-23-2012, 10:09 AM

I would definitely say that dogs are more work than cats.

Sure, you can "potty train" them which would eliminate the "let the dog in, let the dog out" monotony of the day. But, I would say it's as much or more work than potty training a child. You have to stay on top of the dog, and react to every little accident, plus clean up after every accident. Then once they are trained to go on a pad or in the litter box you STILL have to clean up the mess.

Puppies need a lot of attention throughout the day or they become destructive. Sometimes they just ARE destructive anyways. Ready to say goodbye to your shoes? How about your phone charger? Do you have garden beds, because sometimes dogs just love to dig.

You keep talking about a little dog. Just so you know, IME the "little dogs" like chihuahuas, and wienie dogs just LOVE to bark. Someone walks in the house and they bark. Someone drives down the street and they bark. They see a squirrel out the window and they bark. How does that sound to your overall sanity?

Dogs really need to go outside on a regular basis even if they are potty trained. Do you have a fenced yard for them to roam, or are you going to have to take a minimum of 30 minutes twice a day to walk them up and down the block to get their exercise?

Who's going to be responsible for the dog's behavior? Who's going to train him not to jump up on people? Who's going to leash train him? Who's going to teach him to "sit, stay, down?" Who's going to train him not to eat off of plates? I'm sure tons of us can tell you about that "one thanksgiving" where the dog got on the table and ran off with the turkey leg, and that's just on one day a year. There's still 364 other days where you're going to have to keep a close eye on all of the "people food" in your home.

Who's going to be responsible for vet visits? A lot of dogs go to the groomer, or get a bath on a regular basis, who's going to be responsible for that? If the dog needs its fur brushed and its nails clipped who's going to do that?

Do you like to vacation? Are you going to stay in pet-friendly hotels, have someone pet-sit, or board the dog? Do you like to go and stay with family? If so, how are they going to react if you ask if you can bring the dog?

There's all the "what-ifs" you have to be concerned about as well. What if the dog bites a family member or a guest? What if the dog terrorizes your cats? What if the dog has or develops a serious medical condition?

These are only the first of many questions that need to be answered when you think about bringing a dog into your house. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs. I want a dog. Right now, I couldn't handle a dog though. My cat is crazy and would terrorize the dog. I have a small property and don't feel it's enough space for a dog to roam. Plus, I don't want to have to pick up dog messes from the tiny yard. DD is only 4 and we're still working on "gentle" when it comes to animals. I have a newborn on the way, and don't feel that I would have enough time to supervise interactions between animal and small child and work on all of the training issues. The house is also too small for a dog. Four people an insane cat and two fish tanks is going to be a lot to deal with as is. Having a dog roaming through and getting into everything is going to be a nightmare. Plus, I utilize baby gates. The cat can jump over them, a dog cannot. DD, DH, and I want to get a dog, we're all in agreement over that. However, that want does not block out the rest of the concerns I have, and whenever the issue comes up the answer is a solid NO for now.

SAHMhippie.gif married to DH treehugger.gif since 09/11. Mama to DD (01/08)dust.gifand DS (06/12) babyboy.gif

#13 of 31 Old 04-23-2012, 10:58 AM

Well fish are the one animals that I found to be the biggest pain.....But to answer your question, dogs are more work, although there is a lot of differences between breeds. I own giant breeds with big bladders that were super easy to house train (much easier than the cat), You mentioned a small breed which often are more difficult to house train. IME the cats I've had were more destructive than my dogs, but again this is probably due to training and the type of dogs I have. I also have short haired dogs so grooming hasn't been an issue, but yeah long haired breeds would require more work.

Regardless of breed, dogs are more work for vacations. We always board ours so we have to plan that ahead of time. My dog can go all day without a bathroom break, but if you can't litter train your smaller dog even day trips have to be planned out. Or you need a fenced yard and the smaller the dog the easier it is for them to get out. You also must put in more time bonding to have a happy dog. Dogs are pack animals and need more family/pack time than most cats.

Since you aren't a dog person (my dh was raised very anti-dog although he's a big dog lover now) then I would not get a dog with already having so many pets. At least I would only consider an older, partially trained dog. Lots of shelters have young dogs(not puppies, but still young enough to get a similar experience) that are already partially or fully house trained. Since I was the one who wanted a dog I did most of the work/training. My dh accommodated me by getting a dog, but I think he would have been a bit resentful if he had to do all the work. Plus he didn't know anything about how to train/handle a dog. I was raised around dogs so being a pack leader was natural for me whereas my DH had to be taught by me on how to do things. It can be difficult to know how to interact with dogs without the experience. Just a thought since you would be the primary caregiver. Do you know anyone with a dog similar to what you would consider? It might not be a bad idea to "borrow" the dog for a weekend to see how much work it is (and then think about how much more a puppy would be). We no longer have cats as they fit our lifestyle less, but not every family is suited to owning a dog and I would hate for one to end up in a shelter because you couldn't handle the work.

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

#14 of 31 Old 04-23-2012, 11:40 AM

As a dog breeder/owner/exhibitor, and someone that is relatively intolerant of the special requirements that our cats demand, I would advise against getting this puppy. 

My level of stress is through the roof with our cats - keeping them off counters, making sure they pee in the box instead of on clothing, keeping them from scratching our furniture, etc. If you are already feeling taxed by life with your cats, family, and work, a dog will just exacerbate the problem.

I can guarantee that this puppy will have potty accidents, run off with your daughter's toys, bark at inappropriate times, and generally be like having a toddler around your home for the first two years you have her home. And I can't even imagine training a dog to potty in a litter box - one of the things I love about dogs is that they potty outside and I only have to clean it up once weekly. I think I would go nutso if I had to walk into a home that smelled like dog poop or pee, even if it was appropriately placed in the litter box. Keep in mind too that a dog will poop two to three times a day.

Anyway, I don't mean to be Negative Nelly, but I don't think a puppy is right for you at this time. My suggestion would be to settle on a breed that you think you could eventually come around to liking, contact a breed rescue, and go visit to get yourself comfortable with the dogs. Most breed rescues would be happy to work with you and walk you through the process of adopting...and, they have a vested interest in matching you with the perfect dog for your needs. Good with children of a certain age, an active or sedentary personality, clingy or aloof, etc. You can essentially tell a rescue exactly what you are seeking and they will find it for you, given enough time and patience.

So those are my suggestions. I hope that I don't come across as rude...sometimes I have a limited way of communicating, and I just sympathize with your current state of overstimulation and worry. I hope that you guys find what you are looking for! 

#15 of 31 Old 04-23-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

Stick with cats.  I love dogs, I just like them best when they belong to other people.

My mom says "I love dogs, but I love myself more".

I think I have the same approach. Things like walking the dog at 6 am in the freezing rain... forget about it! (We had a dog when I was a teen, and my grandparents had dogs, so we have some experience.)  My mom says that sometimes she thinks about getting a cute smaller breed and potty-training it, but she always concludes that it's still too much work. She's happy with her two cats.

#16 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 12:07 PM

I am a dog lover, expecially tiny dogs because they are much easier to take care of than large dogs, even as puppies. My husband however, loves cats, which I hate. Right now, we have a cat and a ferret. Personally, from my experiance with ferrets, they are by far the better pet over both dogs and cats and I have had a ferret since my son was a newborn, with no issues. A majority of them are litter box trained, you can keep them in a cage at night so you know they arent getting into things and they can catch mice. They are smaller, and you do have to do some upkeep, like bathe them every two weeks, clip their nails and the scarest thing about them is when they jump around as they play. Mine actually hates jeans so whenever he sees them, he attacks the jeans, even if the jeans are on the floor. He has never bitten my kids or anyone else just for the fun of it, and when we rough house with him, his bites don't hurt, unlike a puppy or older dog. He's not roudy like a dog, and he dosent just sit there all day like a cat. He is very active, and lieks to paly games such as hide and seek, and tug of war with my kids who was 3 and 2. Also ferrets don't need all the immunizations dogs and cats do. They only need two, rabies (all animals but lizards, birds and fish need that) and the Canine Parvo shot. Most are already fixed when bought. You do have to worry about how your child treats it, as it is smaller than a dog and cat and can end up injured if thrown or dropped. At first they are expensive, but if you go and adopt a dog or cat at the pound, with all the shots, etc you have to pay for upfront, and you risk the chance of it attacking your kid unprovoked, i'd say ferret. Much better, and they are alot of fun watching their 'war dance' playful pounces and they make some odd noises but are relitively quiet.

I know people are going to say it will bite a baby for milk/ smother it, but cats and dogs do the same thing. Ferrets just happen to be highly misunderstood as they are not the generic pet.

#17 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 12:35 PM

I find my dog to me more work than my cats ever were. Like everything else, if you love the work then you don't resent it. I enjoyed the puppy training, the walks, the exercise. Sometimes I get tired and burned out, but because I really love having dogs I enjoy the work.

In your case it sounds like you do not enjoy dogs and would be stuck with all of the work which you don't want to do. It sounds like it might not be a good match.

Also keep in mind that like cats, some dogs are easier than others! My current dog is super easy: she was easy to train, too to potty training and crate training easily. She doesn't have a big chew drive and we haven't lost a single item in the house to her chewing. She loves to exercise but won't go insane if we have to miss a few days.

Now my mom's dog has a great personality (shitzu) and is wonderful.... but has a compulsive drive to eat her own poop. Since my mom is not so good at keeping a close eye on her this happens almost daily in the house. it is a lot of work, and unpleasant for her to deal with.

My sister's dog is fabulous but requires lots of exercise EVERY day, and for a 40lb dog has the strongest jaws I've sever seen. She doesn't bite but she needs to CHEW, and will go thorough an Extreme Kong in a day. It is a lot of work to keep that dog occupied and happy.
#18 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
As someone who has owned both and now only owns cat... stand your ground. Dogs need to be trained well and you have to keep up on their training. Most dogs do require exercise, preferably twice a day and many do not do well home alone. Dogs and kids sometimes don't mix well despite the best training of the dog and the little person. Dogs do not a use a litter box. They will need frequent trips outside and the yard will have to walked over several times a week to pick up poop so your kid doesn't drag poop indoors on their shoes.

And don't even get me started on the vacation talk... do we take the dog? Do we board the dog? Where is the tears hair out smiley?
#19 of 31 Old 04-25-2012, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Don't do it.

#20 of 31 Old 04-26-2012, 10:10 AM

dogs are exponentially more work then cats, they are akin to toddlers and rely on you for everything! besides the usual feeding, pottying etc they need exercise and mental stimulation, even if it is a small dog.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#21 of 31 Old 04-26-2012, 10:55 AM

I'm a cat lover. I love my kitty. I clean his litter 2x/week, and he sits in my lap every night after munchkin goes to bed. And purrs. And purrs (he wakes me up purring in the morning, and is purring until after I fall asleep at night). So wonderful, and so sweet to my munchkin.

Dogs? I'll never own one. Ever. WAY too much work!

#22 of 31 Old 04-26-2012, 11:10 AM

Dogs, cared for properly, are WAY more work than cats, cared for properly.  Stand your ground.  DD has the rest of her life to get a dog. Don't take on another living thing if you will resent caring for it!

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#23 of 31 Old 04-27-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolm1 View Post

I am a dog lover, expecially tiny dogs because they are much easier to take care of than large dogs, even as puppies. My husband however, loves cats, which I hate. Right now, we have a cat and a ferret. Personally, from my experiance with ferrets, they are by far the better pet over both dogs and cats and I have had a ferret since my son was a newborn, with no issues. A majority of them are litter box trained, you can keep them in a cage at night so you know they arent getting into things and they can catch mice. They are smaller, and you do have to do some upkeep, like bathe them every two weeks, clip their nails and the scarest thing about them is when they jump around as they play. Mine actually hates jeans so whenever he sees them, he attacks the jeans, even if the jeans are on the floor. He has never bitten my kids or anyone else just for the fun of it, and when we rough house with him, his bites don't hurt, unlike a puppy or older dog. He's not roudy like a dog, and he dosent just sit there all day like a cat. He is very active, and lieks to paly games such as hide and seek, and tug of war with my kids who was 3 and 2. Also ferrets don't need all the immunizations dogs and cats do. They only need two, rabies (all animals but lizards, birds and fish need that) and the Canine Parvo shot. Most are already fixed when bought. You do have to worry about how your child treats it, as it is smaller than a dog and cat and can end up injured if thrown or dropped. At first they are expensive, but if you go and adopt a dog or cat at the pound, with all the shots, etc you have to pay for upfront, and you risk the chance of it attacking your kid unprovoked, i'd say ferret. Much better, and they are alot of fun watching their 'war dance' playful pounces and they make some odd noises but are relitively quiet.

I know people are going to say it will bite a baby for milk/ smother it, but cats and dogs do the same thing. Ferrets just happen to be highly misunderstood as they are not the generic pet.

Makes me want to get a ferret!! They sound great!

To the OP, honestly, I'd recommend letting this dog opportunity go (there will be plenty more cute dogs around the corner) and asking a friend with a dog if you can "adopt" their dog for a few days or longer if possible. Once you have it in your home, let DH & DC take on ALL the responsibilities to care for it, and make sure to remind them when they forget. Maybe after a few solid days of caring for the pet, they will realize that it is a lot more work than they envisioned and they will know that you mean it when you say it is their responsibility and not yours to care for the dog (since you'll be in charge of the other pets).

kathyhola.gif : , proud mama to seansuperhero.gif (12/06) and wife to zane reading.gif : cat.gif

#24 of 31 Old 04-27-2012, 09:30 PM

I'd vote against that - the novelty and excitement will make it seem easy, or at least less of a chore. What they need is an instant helping of, say, five years of drudgery, but unfortunately that can't be had.

#25 of 31 Old 04-28-2012, 09:03 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Just say no.

It is okay to say no.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#26 of 31 Old 05-01-2012, 10:29 AM

I've had both, and I'd say maybe 8-10 cats = 1 dog in the amount of work.  I would not have a dog over here with the large family I have, taking on a puppy is like taking on a toddler.  They're so destructive and need constant guidance and vigilance.

Right now I have three cats, and I feel lazy with the amount of work they take in comparison to what it was like growing up with dogs.  The one thing that is great is that you can be gone for a whole day or two even and not really worry about them, just put out that extra food and water and they don't need to be boarded, etc.  My kids help with the feeding/watering and put it lots of rubs/playtime so that leaves the litter and grooming to me, which isn't that bad (well now dh since I'm expecting).  I have scratching posts for the cats and have set up a happy home for them so no litter box/other issues.  

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#27 of 31 Old 05-23-2012, 11:44 AM

Aside from the fact that dogs are a lot of work (sometimes the smaller ones more so than the big ones), your fear of dogs should really be addressed completely before you even think about adding a dog to your household. If you even have lingering fear, the dog will be able to sense it and it will make it MUCH harder for you to properly train it. 

Is it possible that you and your dd can walk or pet sit neighborhood dogs instead? This would help you get more comfortable around dogs as well as give your dd interaction with them without having to add one to the household. I'd say volunteering at a shelter would be an option as well, but at most places you need to be at least 16.

#28 of 31 Old 05-30-2012, 07:56 AM

Dogs are a lot of work!

Maybe you can volunteer as a foster home for a rescue organisation, that way you will get a dog for long termishh stay couple weeks+ and your family can experience everything that is envolved without 10+ years of commitment.

#29 of 31 Old 06-01-2012, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. We have an end of the story, at least for now.

After all the emotion settled (and the dog Dd liked was on it's way to a new home probably as I was writing), I figured out that our problem was really animal deficiency of a general nature, which I could remedy by letting the cats have more access. We allowed them into areas of the house where Dd tends to be, as well as made her bedroom cat friendly for the nights. Yes, we've had a few litterbox accidents which I take to be protests when Dd's not keeping up with the box in her room. They have earned nearly free run of the house most of the time and they are lovely to have in our midst.

Best of all, they follow Dd around, always happy to have a scratch between the ears. One in particular never lets her out of his sight, so her yearning for the companionship of a dog had been satisfied by the cats. 

I still have to deal with the fish tank, but I wanted to report back on our progress. Thanks again for all the advice.

#30 of 31 Old 06-02-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolm1 View Post

ack dont bathe your ferret every two weeks, you will make them more smelly not less smelly!!! very bad for their skin, they should be bathed only if they need it. Also FYI ferrets end up being much much more costly then most dogs or cats, as most ferrets are from breeding mills in north america they are almost guarenteed to get one form of cancer or another, insulinoma, adrenal disease or lymphoma, all of which are very costly. You have a very high liklihood of having to spend hundreds if not thousands on care, plus with these diseases ferrets in north america have an average life span of 5 years. Ive owned 5 ferrets over the last 7 years, 3 died of these terrible diseases (the other 2 are still alive) I also wouldnt recommend for them to be out and about in a house with free run there are way to many ways for them to hurt themselves or get lost/escape.

eta ferrets can also get canine distemper so if you vaccinate them you should include it.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page