Cat lost a lot of weight - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-13-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 14 year old indoor cat went missing.

She was gone for 13 days. I just got a call last night and someone found her hiding under their deck.

She is clean and seems fine. But very skinny and thristy. And she seems a bit stiff in the legs.

She was not a big cat to begin with. I feed her dry food for senior cats.

Is there something that I can give her to help regain her weight and health? Like ensure for cats?

I know that when she was a bitty kitten we gave her a kitten formula (she was taken from momma cat too early).

Is there something like that for older cats?

She is eating and drinking fine now. But I can feel each and every vertibrate and bone in her body when I pet her.

Thank you.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 4 Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 AM

Chances are that your poor girl had virtually no hunting skills while she was out there, so she lost a bit of weight. If she would eat it, you might want to introduce wet food or something that maybe packs more of a calorie punch or is easier to digest? You may want to call your vet to get a recommendation.

Oh, and you should probably make an appointment to take her in anyway. She may have picked up a parasite that is impacting her health as well.

I'm glad she's home!! cat.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 4 Old 05-15-2012, 03:27 AM

Bring her in for a check up and blood work- to assure that she doesn't have any underlying problems (especially considering her age).  They will likely want to do either SQ Fluids or IV fluids to rehydrate her.  There are a few recovery (high cal/nutrition) diets available through your vet (they have at least twice the calories of regular canned food)-Hills a/d, Royal Canin/Medi-cal recovery, Iams Max Cal.  These are also able to be syringe fed if the pet is not eating.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#4 of 4 Old 05-15-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you.

I am going to be bringing her in to the vet for a check-up, but unfortunately cannot get her there before the weekend.

She is drinking well and eating very well too. She has been going in the litter so she is fine with elimination too.

I bought her some wet food for senior cats for now and will take her to the vet this weekend.

She is in good spirits, and back to being her self again.

I am just so relieved that she is home and safe.

lonegirl likes this.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page