cat passing twine!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-19-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Apparently my 7 month old cat ate twine. It's the stuff they wrap around roasts. He ate an entire piece, whole. It's still a loop. He's nearly passed it. It's hanging half out of his butt. We're not touching it, for fear we'll rip something internally, and are trying to keep him as mellow as we can. 

I don't get paid until the end of the week and we don't have enough to pay a vet until then. ADVICE???

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#2 of 7 Old 06-19-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

nm. he started throwing up shortly after I posted, and can't hold anything down. We convinced our vet to take a post-dated check and got him x-rays. The twine is tangled up in his intestines and he needs surgery. =( They're going to see if enough of the staff will stay late to do it tonight. Otherwise, it will be first thing tomorrow morning.

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

#3 of 7 Old 06-19-2012, 02:51 PM

Aww, poor kitty. I hope surgery goes well.

hug2.gif

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

#4 of 7 Old 06-19-2012, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. It went really smoothly. The dr. says he has a lot of repeat offenders with this kind of thing so has to do this a lot, but was really shocked at how perfectly everything went. Aslan was an angel the whole time he was there. He was a super easy patient to work on, and really calm and well behaved. It took very little anesthesia to put him under, and he came back to consciousness quickly and easily. When we picked him up, he was very alert and curious, and very snuggly. As soon as I got him home, he went totally psycho. He was racing around, running into things because his reactions were slowed by the meds. He tried to ride our great dane!!! He kept chasing his tail. It was all we could do to keep him from injuring himself. Finally, he decided he was rabidly hungry and was going to damage things or hurt himself trying to get to food. So, I fed him a little. He held it down, had some water, and calmed down a LOT. He wandered around being amazed by things (think "wow, man. I never noticed how white the walls were before...") for about half an hour, then was starving again. He had some more food, more water, and has finally passed out. 

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

#5 of 7 Old 06-25-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post

Thanks. It went really smoothly. The dr. says he has a lot of repeat offenders with this kind of thing so has to do this a lot, but was really shocked at how perfectly everything went. Aslan was an angel the whole time he was there. He was a super easy patient to work on, and really calm and well behaved. It took very little anesthesia to put him under, and he came back to consciousness quickly and easily. When we picked him up, he was very alert and curious, and very snuggly. As soon as I got him home, he went totally psycho. He was racing around, running into things because his reactions were slowed by the meds. He tried to ride our great dane!!! He kept chasing his tail. It was all we could do to keep him from injuring himself. Finally, he decided he was rabidly hungry and was going to damage things or hurt himself trying to get to food. So, I fed him a little. He held it down, had some water, and calmed down a LOT. He wandered around being amazed by things (think "wow, man. I never noticed how white the walls were before...") for about half an hour, then was starving again. He had some more food, more water, and has finally passed out. 

LOL!  Well, that's good to hear! I am glad it went okay. thumbsup.gif

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

#6 of 7 Old 11-14-2012, 11:06 PM

My cat ate a pork twine that is still in a loop too! just 6 days ago and he has not passed it or has shown any sign of displeasure, (throwing up, not going potty, lethargy).  I have seen the vet 3 times in the last week and they told me just to wait....... but continue to monitor him closely.  He is two years old.

My question was how long did it take your cat to pass the string, or at least partially.  I am getting nervous everyday because today might be the day for the 3-5k emergency bill...:(

#7 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

We first noticed him trying to pass it about 3 days after we had the roast. I assume he got it that night, though it could have been the next day before we took out the trash.

He didn't pass it without help, though. It got tangled in his intestines and he started vomiting up everything he tried to eat. After a day, he became lethargic. It was hanging partially out of his rear the whole time, too. The vet was going to surgically remove it. When they put him under anesthesia, his intestines relaxed and they were able to gently pull the string out without operating. Since they had him under, they went ahead and fixed him while they were at it. We were planning to do it soon anyway, and that way we didn't have to pay for all the operating room and anesthesia costs twice. All said and done, it cost about $500, including the meds he had to take for the next week. He took a pain killer, and something to help his stomach and intestines heal up properly from whatever the twine may have done to it.

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page