Foster Cats....it's going to be harder than I thought to give them back! (picture included) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-07-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We agreed to foster a momma cat and her four kittens.  The kittens will be three weeks old tomorrow.  I agreed to bring them back to the shelter when they are 8 weeks old, but am already worried about how hard this is going to be.  The last time I fostered kittens, we were able to get them adopted before they needed to go back.  I don't have as good of a feeling this time around.  We will probably adopt the mama and one of the kittens, but that will still leave three gray kittens.  Is there anything I can do to make their transition back to the shelter and cages as smooth as possible? Our shelter is small and has many cats, but at least it is no-kill.  I want to give them as much freedom and access to toys while in our house, but am worried that will make it harder when they return.  Thoughts?  ADOPTION.jpg

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-07-2012, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Can you send them with the blanket or bed that they've been sleeping in, and maybe a couple of favorite toys if you have any?

#3 of 5 Old 07-08-2012, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Good idea.  I definitely will do that.  Another question that I think might seem dumb, but does it make a difference if they go back at 6 or 8 weeks?

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#4 of 5 Old 07-08-2012, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post

Good idea.  I definitely will do that.  Another question that I think might seem dumb, but does it make a difference if they go back at 6 or 8 weeks?

I would think that giving them a couple extra weeks with their mom and getting a couple extra weeks of nursing certainly couldn't hurt!  Of course, you may end up having a harder time letting them go too!  hug2.gif

#5 of 5 Old 07-08-2012, 05:18 PM

What a great thing you're doing by fostering!  Well, it always recommended to give cats until 8 weeks to be with their mama.  It's not a dumb question at all as it happens all the time that they're given away earlier than that.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page