Housetraining Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-30-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My puppy is nine months old now.  He had a horrible problem with peeing in the house at our old apartment.  We moved on July 1st, and he was fine for a few weeks.  We were actually shocked that he was suddenly house trained.  Then, one accident.  Then, another one a week later.  Now, he has had three in the past week!  We can't figure it out.  We take him out very often, and keep an eye on him as much as possible.  We clean the spots up as best as we can with an enzyme spray, making sure to soak the area as per the instructions.

I'm getting extremely nervous, because I know the more he goes in the house, the more likely he is to continue due to smelling it, establishing a habit, etc.  What can I do? We have tried everything on the internet, everything the vet suggested, etc.  Somebody give me a magic cure. 

#2 of 3 Old 07-30-2012, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Have you crate trained him?  I don't know if your vet suggested that.  I thought that was seriously the most inhuman thing ever until all the animal activists got on me that it was beneficial for the dog on countless levels (they're den animals and it also provides them a sense of "place" and a "den").  But that trained ours.  All three of them.  The only one that has accidents now (on purpose, actually) is my 12yo female who is PISSED. OFF. that we moved and don't have time for her.  crap.gif

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#3 of 3 Old 08-01-2012, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I also agree with crate training.  Until the dog is fully trained, he has no free access to the house without STRICT supervision.  If you have to pee, put the dog in the crate...doing the dishes, put the dog in the crate...changing a diaper, put the dog in the crate...etc, etc.  If your eye cannot be on him at all times, he needs to be in it.  The crate needs to be just big enough for the dog to stretch out on its side.  Dogs typically won't pee somewhere they will have to lay in it.  He will have accidents, though.  My dog is 6 months old, and I still don't let him be free in the house if I can't watch him, and he sleeps in the crate at night and is in it anytime we leave the house.

Good luck.  Google "crate training puppies" for suggestions on how to do it.  :)

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page